PDA

View Full Version : News in here >>> It's official!

WthrLady
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
:clap:
It's official! May 31st, we are OUTTA HERE!

NO, we aren't moving to the big house. We are still number 3, with no real chance to move up.

DH was awarded his OWN COMMAND!

So the second week of April we are going to drive up and find a house to rent.

May 31st we are OUT OF HERE, and moving to Lincoln Nebraska! We are SO excited to be back deep in the heartland (yes, I know tomorrow they are getting 18 inches of snow), but the Hinterland is "HOME": big rolling hills, prairielands, COWS, farms....with a little city mixed in.

:clap: :clap:
Do we have ANY wet canvas people on the eastern side of the state?:lol:

CharM
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
:clap: Congratulations Caryl and Commander! :clap:

laudesan
02-19-2013, 07:36 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: WOOT!!!! Congratulations Caryl and DH :thumbsup: :clap: Wow, his own command. That is exciting..

painterbear
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
:thumbsup: Congratulations to your DH, Caryl on his promotion to commander of his own post!

I'm glad you didn't make that move to the "bigger" house there, now you'll be moving to a different Base altogether....are you going to Offutt AFB?

Sylvia

Antiqueteacher
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Caryl, congratulations to you and your DH!! Know that 'going home' is always such a treat!!

PS: the snow should be melted by the time you go!! :D

Katherine

WthrLady
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Actually, not Offutt, although I love it there too. University of Nebraska, Lincoln.

Katherine - doesn't matter

I have no family within 10 hours drive away, but it still is "home". Plus, it's meterological heaven!

virgil carter
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Congratulations, Caryl. The U of Neb is a great place. Hope you like football! And getting a command is always a big deal. Best wishes to you both.

Sling paint!
Virgil

happhoto
02-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Is he going to head up the ROTC unit? Coool! Congrats to him!! :thumbsup: and to you and The Boy as well...you'll certainly have "seasons" again!

happhoto
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
When you're in Lincoln make sure to go visit the Sunken Gardens!! GREAT place for photography and painting!!

WthrLady
02-19-2013, 10:41 PM
yup! You nailed it Hap.
Sunken Garden is number two on my list !
The international licorice shop is #1 LOL!

Football , eh........ come from two places it is FAR more rabid, Ohio State and Alabama. At least I don't have to buy new colour sweat shirt, eh? LOL.

NancyR
02-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Caryl,

I know that you are excited! You will be almost directly north of me! :D Just a little too far north for me. College towns are awesome to live in. Congratulations to your husband.

Nancy

Yorky
02-20-2013, 02:55 AM
Congratulations to your hubby Caryl, his own command!

Nebraska sounds exciting, I can't say I have explored that state. (Usually on Street View :lol: )

Doug

doppler
02-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Star watcher and weather watcher woman. You wil be in heaven!!! :heart: STAR WOMAN :thumbsup:

cloudchaser
02-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Many congratulations Caryl and hubbie "Homeward Bound"#

Flattwo
02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Congratulations Caryl!

Henry

Bevahlee
02-20-2013, 05:53 AM
the international licorice shop? Now you got my attention. I LOVE licorice, but cant' find anything around here except those swizzlers or whatever.
Congratulations on the move. I can't imagine living in those wide open spaces, but then it's all in what you get used to.

Strawberry Wine
02-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Congratulations Caryl and Hubby !!

So happy for you that this move is in the direction and State that you want to be in.

Happy House Hunting !

Cheers,

Gail

Bevahlee
02-20-2013, 06:05 AM
ordered some of that licorice, thanks to you. :-) I've been looking for licorice caramels since a little Dutch girl exchange student brought me some about 20 years ago. heehee.

Mike3839
02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Caryl, It's easy to see when someone is truly happy and it's obvious throughout your post. Congratulations and best wishes for a fun, trouble free move.

Mike

olliewood0702
02-20-2013, 08:33 AM
WHOOHOO Caryl! Congratulations to your hubby on his promotion. I know this has made you positively jump for joy. Great news; best of luck to you and your family.

wcartistsr
02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Congratulations to you and your husband! Glad you will be going to a place you feel more at home in. A whole new adventure awaits you both.

Shirley

LCPainterCat
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
GREAT news! This kind of promotion doesn't happen in a vacuum: your own exemplary contributions and even "The Boy's" no doubt complimented your DH's own qualifications. : )
No more "stinking breezes" and fewer skeeters, and probably a lovely house in or near the campus in Lincoln. Yay!

Lynn/LC

happhoto
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Have driven through Nebraska several times both going east and going west. While it's not "my" cup o tea (not nearly enough "vertical" in the landscape and NO salt water) I really enjoyed the many many many small towns I visited there! Great StarGazing once you get away from the major light pollution, and lots of interesting places to explore as well! I know you'll really enjoy it! As I mentioned I did really enjoy Lincoln and the Sunken Gardens...now I'll have to look for the international licorice shop...I LUV:heart: licorice...and not just the USA kind but the European variety that is a bit ammonia-ish as well! :thumbsup:

WthrLady
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
LOL Yes, you do have to get used to the wide open nothing and the WIND. There are days that it is oddly overwhelming and more oddly clausterphobic and crushing. (I agree, no salt water BUMMER, although NO gators either.)

Licorice
http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/home.asp

And you're right, I can't WAIT to get out the Newtonian and point it skyward. Although it gets so dark out there, just looking up is awe inspiring. You forget how MANY stars there are out there.

Thanks everyone!

LynnM
02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Wonderful, Caryl, I'm a prarie girl too (Manitoba) and love the wide open skies, I understand!

JudyL
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Well done! I love Nebraska, Jack (and his twin) were born in Omaha, although they grew up in Sidney (west) we spent lots of time going from one to the other. Yes there are a few trees, which explained on our trip to North Carolina, Jack said he got claustrophobia, becasue he "could not see anything because the trees got in the way". In Nebraska I think each tree has a name and address lots of prarie, and one very tall mountain? Chimney Rock. Big wind and amazing lightning storms :eek: And when passing livestock, "smell that money!" comments.

WthrLady
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
LOL! Judy! We call that Farm Fresh! or Country Breezes.

painterbear
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Caryl,
The International Licorice Store alone makes it a GREAT move! I LOVE licorice of all kinds.

Congratulations to your DH again. Great move for your family to a University town too with all the things that will bring.

Sylvia

shipbroker
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Nice to see one of our friends so happy.......

cheers

geoff

Uschi
02-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I have never been anywhere near the prairies but because you are so happy about the move I am VERY happy for you Caryl!! The big STINK will be a natural one, OOOHHH country air!!:evil: :D

CONGRATULATIONS to your husband!!!!!!

Uschi

Wind Song
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Congrats Caryl!

DebraB
02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Congradulations! As you know I live in the western part of Nebraska, open spaces, cows, wind and yes a blizzard right now and tomorrow. I saw where someone was raised in Sidney, that is where I was born. I spent half of my life in California then came back here after my divorce. I do miss the ocean but life is slower paced and much cheaper here. I hope you enjoy being back and the fun things to do in Lincoln.

artist144
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Congratulations to you and your family. You sound so happy! I"m happy for you. Enjoy your new adventure. I have never been there so paint lots of pictures.:D:wave:

FLNH
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
This definitely is a move up for you and your family. I truly hope it brings you peace and satisfaction.

sprintgt
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Caryl
Hope it's there before you move, by the way, is it there yet!! Whatever it is??
John

ScarletLake
02-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Caryl,

CONGRATS ON THE NEW POST

I would think that would be so neat to be in the college town. How long is the command?

I know we loved Ohio University when my son was there in ROTC. I love college towns.

My son still really likes his assignment in Goldsboro, NC and does not miss N. Dakota. He still has 2 years left in NC.

Your son should love it too.

I don't think I'd like Montgomery, AL to live in very much.

Anita

M.L. Schaefer
02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: How GREAT is that!?!

Hmmm, did you see on online news that they now have recordings of the stars singing???? Bet you're heart is singing, too!!! It's all so wonderful for you and your hubby!

:heart: Margarete

Doris345
02-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Congratulations, Caryl.
Wishing you all the best on the move and the promotion.

Doris

ReggieS
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Caryl,
Congratulations!! It is very exciting! My uncle was the base commander in the Army in Boise, Idaho and then at CAmp Drum in NY. He retired from there in 1964. They loved it! you must be so proud of him!!

Reggie

ReggieS
02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I just checked out Licorice International! It is sounds great, a lot like our Vermont Country Store, which is about 10 mins away from here! It must a great area in which to live!

Reggie