PDA

View Full Version : New Steve Hall DVD

chkre
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Townhouse has a new Steve Hall DVD to offer. The preview looks promising. What made me think about buying it is the fact that he also demonstrates how to do a pen and wash picture.

http://www.townhousefilms.co.uk/wesson-watercolour-secrets-with-steve-hall

Christian

WthrLady
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
It looks lovely.
Less secrets and more on the loose fiddly style, which I LOVE, but cuold never in a million years manage. I'm just not wired that way.

Irishman
02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Having bought two of his DVDs I must say I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy another.For loose style,I'd much prefer John Tookey,John Hoar and John Yardley.Both of the first two also demo line and wash

chkre
02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
For loose style,I'd much prefer John Tookey,John Hoar and John Yardley.Both of the first two also demo line and wash

The John Hoar DVD is at No 1 on my wishlist, I didn't know that there is a line and wash DVD by John Tookey. Townhouse only has a watercolour and a pastel DVD on offer. Can you tell me more about this?

Christian

Irishman
02-20-2013, 06:12 AM
My apologies Christian.I should have been more specific and said that John Tookey does a line and wash demo on the last track of his only(unfortunately)DVD.If I am not mistaken it is the scene of the fishing boat/harbour at Brancaster Staithe that Robert Bridley has done on his latest DVD and a nice job he does of it too.Not as heavy on the ink as John Hoar.Other DVDs with line and wash would be Ian King's and to some extent Brian Ryder's sketch one.

chkre
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
My apologies Christian.I should have been more specific and said that John Tookey does a line and wash demo on the last track of his only(unfortunately)DVD.

Ah, ok. The John Tookey DVD is on my list as well. But it's further down the list.

Other DVDs with line and wash would be Ian King's and to some extent Brian Ryder's sketch one.

Yes, I saw the previews but have the feeling that this isn't really the line and wash style I mean to paint in. It's rather the John Hoar style I would like to come near to.

Thanks for your info.

Christian

Tred
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Larry,
Townhouse Films seem to concentrate on North West Norfolk as a venue for the majority of their artists. As a Norwich based company this is not surprising as it keeps the cost down and many of their artists conduct workshops in the area at Castle Rising which further reduces costs.
Robert Brindley tells me that the venue for his last DVD was sheduled to be shot in Staithes, on the North Yorkshire coast, but was re scheduled to North West Norfolk.
John Tookey and Robert Brindley both did demonstrations of the old whelk sheds at Brancaster Staithe, which, from an artistic point of view, were a much better subject when the sheds were operational.
I was born in Brancaster and as a child used to hang around the sheds when the whelks were being boiled in big wood fueled coppers. The steam and smoke would have made for atmospheric watercolours. At the time, I was unaware of the beauty of the area and only came to realise it's artistic potential on visits back there in my later years.
Frankly the Townhouse DVD's of Blakeney, Wells, Cley and the North Norfolk coast have been done to death and it's time they moved to other venues.
Cheers
Tred