PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Tuesday 19th February 2013**

shipbroker
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Morning all

Any blue ears yet???

Well hope to get 14 holes of golf in today, the course still not fully open following the long term flooding and then last weeks snow.

So might look in again before I go

Good Wash yeaterday.

Geoff

Scene Chaser
02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Geoff, it's still dark in England. Does the course have lights? Will you be wearing a fur coat and mittens? Have a good round!
Bill

Uschi
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
11:05, off to bed, Good Night!

Uschi

ollieowl
02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
morning folks

Geoff, it's still dark in England.
yep it's still dark here and Saturn is bright in southern shy so it just a bit chilly out there

here hoping all well and I may catch thee all later

HAWLTAIN :heart: 2 ALL ELSE

Lulu
02-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone:wave:
Trying to keep cool here 30C today, and more of the same for the next week.
We are watering the garden constantly, trying to keep it going.
Still doing jobs to prepare for the birthday boy's party (at home) on Saturday. We are having it catered, so food is taken care of, just need to supply lots of refreshing cool drinks! I have made a birthday cake, another easy peasy recipe if anyone wants it. No added sugar (although there would be plenty in the dried fruit).

Have a good Tuesday everyone:wave:

kaypainter
02-19-2013, 01:33 AM
:wave: Off to bed here. Nighty night. ZZzzzzz.

Kay

shipbroker
02-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Just light here, fur coat needed!

geoff

doppler
02-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Good evening.

Mellow misty and drizzly early 20s day today. Quiet except for bird chatter and raindrops from the trees falling on the garage roof.

Work over and dinner about to begin :wave: :wave: :wave:

Yorky
02-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Good morning all. Another clear night so we are shivering around 0C brrh!

Sounds like you are planning a great party for John Lulu :thumbsup:

Doug

Lulu
02-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Sounds like you are planning a great party for John Lulu :thumbsup:

Yes, it's going to be good Doug, funny thing, I've never seen him this excited about a birthday before.:) I'm glad that we haven't surprised him, (as we did for his 50th), it's lovely to have him taking part in the preparation and anticipation.

laudesan
02-19-2013, 03:21 AM
:wave:

Wet all day here.. The kind of rain I love. Misty, smells good..

Annie, the bird chatter is absolutely wonderful here too.. Don't they just love the light rain.. The Kookaburras' are call now.
Have you been to Springbook (http://www.springbrookrescue.org.au/AboutARCS.html) before? Have you heard of their rescue project?

There is a wonderful Photo Gallery here (http://www.springbrookrescue.org.au/Gallery.html)..

Have a good game Geoff.

John is one lucky man, Lulu. :)

Henry, your brothers photos are beautiful.

Hap, it is a rude gesture here. Funny thing, only you and her uncle picked up on it. :p

Later......... :wave:

Philippe56
02-19-2013, 04:00 AM
good morning all, sunny, sunny but frozen.
Is there any bread slices and honey left? :smug:

Europa
02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
MORNNG WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Popping in - just off to the hospital with Mum for her appt with the orthopaedic surgeon - then back home - quick bite to eat then off to a meeting - back hme for tea then out tonight for the Family History Society meeting.

So busy busy day - hope everyone is ok - have a good day/ night.

LUGGLES

Pat xxxx

painterbear
02-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just about 5:00 a.m. here in still dark but pelting with rain Oakwood. Fortunately, the temp is high enough I don't think it is going to freeze into sleet. That was what they were forecasting yesterday. :eek: for the morning commuters.

Finished my mushroom painting in class yesterday, will take a photo and post it in the Gallery when it gets light enough outside to do that. :D Started a new one of an orchid I took a picture of last year at an orchid show.

I've been reading the Wash each day, but also busy running around so didn't comment. :grouphug: to all who are ailing and aching.

Aren't those photos of the meteroite over Russia amazing! One thing has puzzled me and Larry though. They are saying that it was 55 ft in diameter and weighed 10,000 tons. Has anyone else done the math? 10,000 tons X 2,000 lbs (in a ton) = 20,000,000 lbs. Does anyone else think that figure seems a bit high?:confused: Everyone just accepts it because NASA is the entity putting it out.

Pat, Hope all goes OK for Winnie at the hospital. You sound like you have a pretty full day in store.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Doris345
02-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Good morning washers,

Annie - EEK!!
Henry - your brother's photos are beautiful.
Sylvia, I also did the math and wondered . . . and decided the media got the figures wrong, not NASA. Thanks for the reinforcement.
Pat, I am tired just hearing your schedule.
Hap - :heart: your old Mimiya camera :envy: I still have about a dozen rolls of 35mm in my freezer - wonder if they are still good.
Hello to Geoff, Bill, Peter, Uschi, Doug, Lulu, JJ, Kay.

Doctor this a.m., then home to think about some food for kid brother, who is coming for lunch (and to fix my printer). He's been doing a lot for me - I am getting real good lately at giving him the guilts. :angel:

See ya later.
Doris

Yorky
02-19-2013, 05:47 AM
I think they are working on a density of iron Sylvia, iron is around 450lb/cubic foot. Quite a lump, wonder why it wasn't tracked?

I look forward to seeing your mushroom painting.

Doug

painterbear
02-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Doris, Hope the antibiotics are helping with your mouth infection and the inplants can move forward. :crossfingers:

Doug, No matter how dense the iron is, 20,000,000 lbs is awfully heavy. Wouldn't 10,000 lbs (not tons) seem more feasible? ;)

Sylvia

Yorky
02-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Hmm, my brain is getting addled: 4/3x3.142x27x27x27=82,440 cubic feet x 250 lbs = 19,787,500 lbs/2240=8,833 tons? It does sound a lot.

Doug

Scene Chaser
02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Good Day All,
35 F and windy. Snow tonight. I hate winter.

Geoff, American golfers are wimps compared to UK golfers.

JJ, kid will be kids. And, Hap was not alone. :lol:

Sylvia, I've read that the meteorite weighed 10,000 tons in one article and ten ton in another. Most of it would obviously break up in the atmosphere. I read that it released 500 kilotons of energy, which is equal to the force of a nuclear warhead. Sure would like to find a meteorite. They are quite valuable. Just don't want to see one coming in my direction.

We are cleaning house today.
Bill

Europa
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Quick visit - just waitng for John to pick me up.......went well at the hospital looks like Mum shoukd have the op in the next 3 weeks....they are going with the local anaesthetic and she will be admitted the day before.

k must dash ....bbl

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

laudesan
02-19-2013, 07:59 AM
JJ, kid will be kids. And, Hap was not alone. :lol:Well, the thing is, she really was pointing. She didn't mean it to be a rude gesture. She didn't know..

Hya Pat. Good news about Nan. Don't overdo it today you!

:wave:

Nite-nite........:heart:

Lulu
02-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I thought she was just pointing JJ:) Never entered my head otherwise.

Flattwo
02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi to All

A beautiful day here!

Sylvia, the weight that Nasa quote for the Meteor does not surprise me, that was on hege lump of Iron!

Doug, Nasa only track a tiny percentage of Asteroids that are out there, thousands of huge ones are on a collision course with Earth, it is just a matter of time (the next minute or a million years from now) before the Human race is wiped out!

My Doctor has just phoned me, my tests suggest that the Pituitary Gland in my brain is not producing enough of a substance, I need to go for monthly injections!

Speak Later

Henry

Uschi
02-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Rain, wet snow, damp and dreary day + cold, of course:rolleyes:

Was beautiful yesterday but bitter cold.

Before I made up my mind if I should invite scrabble buddies they invited me so there were 5 of us and it was a lot of fun.

Plans for today, gym, grocery shopping, library and maybe paint the background into my pears:)

Pat, glad the visit to the doctor went well.

re meteorite - I too am surprised they didn't try and locate where it landed, or did they??

Bill, I soooo agree with you about racoons, possums, groundhogs, etc. being a real nuisance (think of my adventures with skunk and groundhogs) but you must admit, he/she is pretty:):evil:

I also no longer feed the birds for all the reasons mentioned yesterday. As to "they were here first" I agree with that too BUT there is a huge forest right next to my house as there is to Bill's but why work for your food when every Wednesday morning there is a mass of free food in front of every house:lol: :lol:

Lulu, I forgot, is this John's 65th??

Breakfast is calling, BBL

:wave: Uschi

(((((((((Henry))))))))))) I hope the injections are an easy fix:crossfingers:

olliewood0702
02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Happy Tuesday Washers,

It's grey this morning...misty, damp and windy. It's supposed to snow but now they are calling for less than an inch...which is good since I forgot my boots.:rolleyes:

I'm tired this morning, don't think I got quality sleep. I didn't want to get up. But did and here I am at work already doing my data entry.:smug:
I'm hitting the black coffee pretty hard; eating my banana.

I walked on my treadmill last night for the first time since I got sick. I did great!:thumbsup:

Tonight Larry and I are attending the BBALL game at MSU. Should be a great game but it'll mean a late night.

I've nothing much to say this morning so I'll just send :grouphug: to all who need them and :wave: to you all.

Strawberry Wine
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Morning Washers from a snowy and mild + 1 C. Island Grove.

Last evening on the TV, they were showing bits of the meterorite that have been found. Tiny bits less than a couple of inches in diameter. Scientists are excited !

Darla, hope you are not overdoing it and cause a relapse . :confused: why you felt the need to do housework. Rest, rest and more rest... Remember what we kept telling Char !!!

Henry, glad they have found a possible issue and that you can have monthly injections to boost up the levels of whatever you are not producing. Some type of hormone???

Doris, the 35 mm film may still be good but unless you have the equipment to develop it yourself I think you may have difficulty finding somwwhere to have negatives and prints made. Glad the antibiotics are working on your infection.

Spent a lot of time reading, resting and sleeping over the weekend. Laura and Nancy helped Dan with the prep of a roast beef dinner on Sunday evening. I prepped the Yorkshire Pudding and voila dinner was delicious. Dan and I had leftovers last night.

Lulu, John's upcoming party sounds like fun. Glad you are having it catered. Take lots of pics !

Time to do a couple of things and then read and rest

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

Ellen in Ont
02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
:wave: everyone,
We have had over a foot of snow and its still coming down. The wind has blown it into drifts past my knees in places and I just got in from shovelling the sidewalks and one side of the driveway so I can get out if I have to. :rolleyes: Brian was nightshift last night and while snow plowing with a loader at work, hit a train track and it made him hit his chest on the steering wheel. He has bruised ribs so he can't shovel. :p I am now dried off, snuggled with a blanket and a book, a cup of coffee in hand, and I plan on staying here until hunger forces me to get up for breakfast. :D

I have just caught up reading the last couple of washes and it's all a jumble so I'll just wish everyone a great Tuesday and get back to my book.

WthrLady
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
7,000 -10,000 tons sounds like a lot (25 million pounds), but when you consider it was a stoney meteorite made of iron and space rock, and that it was 55 feet in diameter (6 semi truck trailers, stacked three high -15,000 pounds EMPTY-90,000 total and they're practically made of tissue paper- now fill them with iron and stone)

Rounding UP, a cubic foot of iron weighs 500 pounds
The meteor was not a perfect sphere, but let's pretend it was - that's 47,712 cubic feet at 55 feet across.
24,000,000 pounds of iron OC it wasn't ALL iron, but the size was a photographic estimate and the shape irregular
7,000 or 10,000 tons, if it's your turn, you won't care

Plus, in the world of asteroids, that's small, so nearly impossible to detect and track. Even the larger DA14 2012 that flew by us, which was much larger, wasn't detected until last February.

Anywho.....

off to the laundry pile before work.

Yorky
02-19-2013, 10:19 AM
re meteorite - I too am surprised they didn't try and locate where it landed, or did they??
The debris was spread over a huge area Uschi, but they did find a 30ft diameter hole in a nearby lake.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/17/world/video-russia-meteor-follow/video-russia-meteor-follow-articleLarge.jpg

Doug

shipbroker
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
......But they couldn't find any meteorite under the hole..........

Afternoon all,

Beautiful morning on the golf course,albeit -6C at the start...but really warm after 10.00am and until about 30 minutes ago.....

JJ......I didn't think it was a rude gesture either.

Pat.....Looks as if you are getting somewhere with Winnie and her treatment now...fingers crossed.

geoff

LynnM
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
:wave: Good day all! Raining here, too, all night I could hear it in the downspouts. I expected to see an icy fairyland this morning, but no, just drear. Glad it wasn't that much snow, though.
But, will be OK for a walk, if a bit wet. Before that, a bit of planning for a new sewing project, and more contemplation of my next painting.....something from my trip to England in 2008.

I liked your tulips, Darla, will be interested to see how the bkg works out.

Sounds like a fun party, Lulu :thumbsup:

I was just looking at her happy face, JJ, never noticed her hand! She is right to be proud of her work.

You have a good scrabble group, Uschi, I'd like to get one going here in the building, will have to see what I can do. We don't even have any card game nights at this point.

Have a rewarding day.....:heart: :grouphug: :heart:

Flattwo
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I find that Russian policewoman very arresting!

Henry

doppler
02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Henry

Ellen in Ont
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
I just finished shovelling for another hour and a half. I'll go out again before bed to stay on top of it all. I'm back under the blanket with another coffee.:rolleyes:

laudesan
02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
My Doctor has just phoned me, my tests suggest that the Pituitary Gland in my brain is not producing enough of a substance, I need to go for monthly injections!Henry, I am so glad it is something that may be remedied easily. Hugs.

Enjoy the game Darla..

Doris, glad you are feeling somewhat better. DO a google for film developers in your area. We still have Photo Continental.

Hugs Gail.x

What are you sewing Lynn?

Ellen, you will have good biceps!!

Henry, you are a hoot!

Lulu
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone:wave:
Not as hot today, thankfully, with high cloud keeping us cooler.

I find that Russian policewoman very arresting!

Henry

:D :lol:

Uschi, it is John's 70th birthday on Thursday - how did that happen??! Mind you he's as fit and trim as he was at 50 so perhaps 70 is the new 50 lol

Been cleaning and sorting today. Cleaned out my crockery cupboard to check I had enough cups, saucers and mugs - I have 50 lol and about the same of glasses, so should be plenty.

Into town now to do another grocery shop and to do a bit of gentle gym work now :wave: