PDA

View Full Version : My Hand

Mikey
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Acrylics on 8 x 8 inch canvas.

This is a Chinese writing brush. I can't use it, but it is a nice souvenir.

Say what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2013/28043-Maobi.jpg

crafor
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Nicely done.
A nit: the shadow areas under the fingers (not between) appear "dirty" rather than shadow.
Could be my monitor.
Ella

Mikey
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
:rolleyes: Thanks Ella. Yes, a bit of dirty paint. I got used to drawing my hand, but not painting it. BTW did you ever use W&N Artists Acrylics. I blame it all on them, why don't they have a Zinc White? :rolleyes:

Andrewcody
02-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmmmmm blaming the tools...now what is it that they say about that?
Without a reference it is difficult to make a comment, you may actually have a hand like this.
Regards
Andrew

D.W. Flint
02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
I like it. Nice & painterly...

Mikey
02-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Andrew, I was inviting discussion on a certain paint and yes I do actually have a hand like this. I had asked for a critique, not sarcastic remarks.

Hi Darrell, many thanks.

Andrewcody
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Rembrandt 40ml - Artists Acrylic - Zinc white - Series 1

Amsterdam Expert Series Acrylic Tube 75ML ZINC WHITE (104) Series 1

I am not sure but my guess would be that W&N do not manufacture an acrylic Zinc White because it can tend to delaminate.

Regards
Andrew

Mikey
02-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Thanks Andrew. I am an oil painter forced to using acrylics. I used lead whites for the top layers. If I use mail order for a bigger purchase then I like Golden Paints (Heavy Body). So far the W&N Artists Acrylic isn't to my personal liking. I wondered how other people are doing with it.

AllisonR
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I like the greens you use, nice contrast with the hand and brass handle. I don't see a problem with the shadow colors. Never used W&N. Have used heavy body and open. If you want to use oils and can't, why not try the opens. Much better blending than the heavy body, because of the open time. They still have the drag quality though - you know, you drag the paint across the canvas, as opposed to oils, which slide across.

Mikey
02-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Hi Allison. I bought some OH New masters due to the great promises. I like the feel of them under the brush, but they do tend to have that weakness. The Raw Umber is very weak indeed. I get on well enough by painting lower layers with Golden or Liquitex, then using New Masters. The Alizarin is nothing like, but does make a beautiful orange with Raw Sienna.