PDA

View Full Version : Homework thread ELEMENTS OF FORM.

Ken Instructor
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Submit homework in this thread, lets keep it all in one thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306242 ...here

All I need is to see how well you can point out how light behaves and how it can contradict what we know about the actual surface of the object. Send me pics describing what the light is doing to it.
For instance: KEn, here is a pic of an object in the light, and how the shadows is flattening everything there, compared to it in the light which is showing its volume, so on and so forth.

Remember the examples I showed, the dome, the nose, etc, with certain lighting situations which said something different than the actual surface.

You can submit drawings of shadows, to see how well you understood the concept of transparency. Anything pertinent to the class. I need questions too since I need to see your level of understanding.
I apologize if I go too fast, I am not that used to anticipating how fast the learning rate is, since I tend to chat with fellow artists as well, I therefore have to assume almost no prior knowledge. But when I do I get blasts of emails saying that I am keeping it too basic, move on!

I need a constructive critique on the method, did you all like the drawing method? Draw as I speak? I can make it 70 percent drawings and demos, and less slides. I think that would be better, or just write on the paper as I go. I am experimenting with a new way of doing this. This way I can do it more slowly and patiently. This way I can juggle less and less, and keep it more simple.
Let me know, all this is for you guys, after all, not for me. I already know this. SO I hope I get constructive criticism, not necessarily related to Johannes. I am working on talking a bit slower, which is why I am wondering I should talk with the pencil instead, most of the time.

Thanks for everything, the next 2 days will still be about the material discussed today. IT is all related, if you did not get it now, you will the next two days.

Again, send me anything about shadows, and light, anything that helps me see your mindset on the matter.

Best,
KEn

mickisew
02-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I need a constructive critique on the method, did you all like the drawing method? Draw as I speak? I can make it 70 percent drawings and demos, and less slides. I think that would be better, or just write on the paper as I go. I am experimenting with a new way of doing this. This way I can do it more slowly and patiently. This way I can juggle less and less, and keep it more simple.
Let me know, all this is for you guys, after all, not for me. I already know this. SO I hope I get constructive criticism, not necessarily related to Johannes. I am working on talking a bit slower, which is why I am wondering I should talk with the pencil instead, most of the time.

Best,
Ken
I prefer the drawing method; it is easier to watch and listen than to read and listen. I enjoyed today's Webinar and look forward to next week. Thank you!

Micki

Rosemarie
02-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks for everything, the next 2 days will still be about the material discussed today. IT is all related, if you did not get it now, you will the next two days.

Glad to hear as I got buffering issues and it took the whole class before I straighten it out, so I missed most of the lecture.

Tip for those who also got troubles with the streaming. You not only need the latest Flash Player but the browser need to be new too. What worked for three weeks ago didn't work yesterday. Isn't technique wonderful ;)

colormefancy
02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Yesterday's lesson seemed a bit fast for me in the beginning, because it was a totally new concept for me. I like the Power Points, because I can go back and review the basic concepts again. I also like the drawings and the paintings presented--all helped to bring more clarification to a new concept. Now I understand that reflected light in shadows does not mean that we are defining actual distance, but rather a visual reading that the eye and mind perceives because of how the light penetrates or reflects certain areas in the shadows. It is a switch from trying to learn how to create planes in landscapes with color values to understanding how light values creates its own planes even though it may be contrary to visual logic. I hope I have a correct understanding of what you are trying to teach us.
I am really looking forward to the next lesson and hope that I will get an even more indepth understanding of this concept. I was intrigued by what you said about the planes of the face----the concept of understanding the planes of the face is the most important part of drawing faces and the idea that such a small percentage of the drawing creates the differences in one person's face to another. Thank you so much for this class. See you next week.

jillmc3
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Ken, I enjoyed yesterday's class a lot; you have so much information to impart to us. It did move a little fast at first, especially for those of us trying to take notes, but I was able to keep up. Drawing the examples really helped a lot in understanding the concepts. Your examples of paintings did, too. Very good class! I look forward to next week's discussion - learning about face planes is going to help me a lot - it's something I never thought about before! Thank you for putting so much thought and preparation into teaching such an important subject.

Colorix
02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Rosemarie, thank you for the info, I too lost a huge chunk of the class.

We think something on Ustream causes trouble, as everything worked just fine before watching class, and about 30 minutes into class. The last thing we did to revive the computers today Sunday was to use an external service which somehow cleared the way to the... the first server on the line. (Sorry to be unclear, I'm a dummy when it comes to computers...)

Colorix
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Ken, I really liked what I saw of the class. I may be a minority, as I really like the PP presentation, with examples, with text, with Sargent/Zorn visuals (only, there's no need to talk at warp 8 speed...). And then when you draw and talk, that makes the lecture part of it to become clear, with hands-on how-to, and we see it grow on paper in front of our eyes.

In short, the way you did it is just fine!

Rosemarie
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Charlie! I went to the Ustream site and every video was doing the buffering thing. I checked what to do and I had done what the trouble shooting page told me. What I had left was to upgrade the browser. I really didn't want to because I have had problems with Firefox 12 and also with Safari 5.1.7. Firefox is now in version 18 and seems to work well so far and I have to accept using Safari 5.1.7 even though the spell checking isn't working well. Next Saturday I will be able to hear and see the class. I am a little sad that I missed most of it yesterday though.

Nougat, if you read this I hope upgrading the browser will you too.

jbath
02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for homework info. :thumbsup:
I'm a "non-art school" painter, with a lot of missing pieces of knowledge. So, for me, your drawings are very important in my learning. It's hard to visualize what you are saying, otherwise. Might not be difficult for the art Ed person. The more you demo the better. Could be my learning style. I don't want to hold others back, though. I'll catch up over time. Thanks again.

crazywoman53
02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I enjoyed the class as well. The video worked well for the first hour or so and then I had to keep refreshing it and missed some info but not enough to not follow what you were saying. I too agree you talk too fast. I have to take a few seconds to comprehend what you are saying and meanwhile you are off onto something else. It's not constant though so I do eventually catch up. I like the draw as you talk partically because you seem to slow down talking while you are drawing and your point becomes much clearer with examples. Overall it was a good class. Thanks for your insight.

CatherineOnTheLake
02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi Ken! I can see that you have a lot of information for us in this course. I was there, ready to go 1/2 ahead of time, but missed the ENTIRE first half due to technical problems (I guess on my side). I really only got something going AFTER the break and because I missed the first 1/2 - I couldn't really follow the second half very well (for example I did not knwo what the Terminator was !) so it was very hard for me to learn anything without prior knowledge of some of the concepts. Oh well these things happen. I have 2 suggestions for teaching:
1.Use the slides AND the drawings (people all learn best in different ways)
2. Remember this old tip: First introduce what you are going to teach slowly and clearly. Then secondly, teach it in order and completely without jumping around from topic to topic. Then thirdly, summarize what you have already taught and THEN take questions. If you take questions in the middle you will end up jumping around and confusing people.
I hope this helps a bit. With this little strategy your slides should fall into place.
P.S. I think you should take some time to proofread your slides for spelling and clarity before publishing them. These should be as clear as possible as this is what people will tend to refer back to when they don't understand something. I don't mean to offend you, but to help since you've asked for advice.

Overall I'm sure it would have been a great info for me had I been able to participate. Let's hope technology works better next Saturday! :)

chalet_dor
02-18-2013, 12:35 AM
One suggestion........please, when using text slides, please leave on the screen long enough for me to read. So difficult for me to read with understanding while listening. At my age :eek: I can no longer multi task.:crying:

Have read the other posts here and I am astounded that many people in your class are knowledgeable. Of course you cannot slow everything down to meet the needs of those of us who are not.

See you next class.........dor:)

Jacdesusbielle
02-18-2013, 05:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2013/1067432-image.jpg
This a painting I did some years ago. Is it something close to what you expected from us ? I am afraid the contrasts are not strong enough ....
I agree with all that was said above about your so interesting class : speak a bit slower, draw as much as you can to explain what you are saying, repeat important facts again and again.
The class was extremely interesting and packed with new things to most of us. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. We need time so everything can sink in. Can't wait for next Saturday !
Sorry ! I could not put the photo straight... First time I post a drawing ...'

susy q
02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Ken...yes please use drawings and slides and do changes in photoshop to SHOW us points you are trying to make. Most of us are visual learners and like to have the text to refer to..but that will be in the recorded products just as a back up. I learn when someone shows me over and over again. Thanks so much for your work and for asking what, we the students, want!

rosehip
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Great class. I like both drawing and power point. I wonder if we could have the power point notes made available before the class? I find I read them too slowly when I'm listening and trying to understand the new concept. If not before the class, having them to refer back to afterwards will be a great help.
Thanks.

Daggers2012
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Great idea rosehip, that would be nice for me too, say power point handouts with our Wetcanvas reminder on the day of the Webinar before we start and then follow the class with the sketches!...Best of both worlds!:thumbsup:

David

MapperGis
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Kenneth, I am really enjoying the class.
Please look at my submission as ahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/221251-Sketch.jpg "sketch" of elements received from the class.
After doing this I see I need to understand how to apply the background paint to show atmosphere. I need work to work larger to get in detail. Well I need work on everything. This sketch is a start.
Thank you. Lois

lildip
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Ken, the subject you were touching on is very aptly described in a book called "the art of figure drawing" by Clem Robbins whose pages 17 thru 23 show explicit samples of the planes and terminator areas that change the lighting values etc. It is a very informative book all through, but the samples I alluded to are of particular interest in their simplicity to understand by the budding uninformed would be artist. I hope your students check this book out. Lildip

jillmc3
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/153055-Steamboat.gif

Ken, I chose this photo for my homework because it shows how the detail of the people in the shadow in the foreground contrasts with the detail in the sunny areas. In the shadow, the colors are muted, there is no detail of faces or clothing, we can't see individual people - it looks like a mass instead. On the sunny areas, we can see sharp details, vibrant colors and each individual object stands out.

Also, on the building, the side that is in shadow shows little detail, softer colors, while the sunny side shows very sharp details and vibrant colors. Same for the "Gondola Entrance" sign...we can barely see the last two letters that are in the shadow.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for your feedback!

Sue Stiltz
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Enjoyed the class ... just wish UStream was more compatable with old computers. In and out about 5 times .... but did see most of the class. I like the format you had for it. I did a sketch from a photo of my youngest granddaughter. Hope it attached ... new on the upload features. I kept it on the lighter side (original better and smoother lines than the scan) because it was a child and didn't want to many darks to compete. Critique welcome. This is my 2nd drawing I've done. Have never been successful with children and women before as less detail in their faces so I was very happy with this drawing. :wave: :wave:

Ken Instructor
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Did not realize there were posts here. Let me nap guys, I am pooped after the webinar, so after that I will be fresh to critique everything.
Best,
Ken

colormefancy
02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I am posting 3 paintings. Two are painting of artists Carolous Duran and one of Diego Valasquez that you mhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0001.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0003.jpg entioned in class.

polly
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I am still confusing the core line with the terminator? any help with this will be really appreciated.
Phyllis

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Everyone, don't use this thread, I am trying to keep it all in one thread, one where it says ELEMENTS OF FORM DISCUSSION that has like 10 pages in it. I will post the homework here, but reply there, I want to fade this one out. This started as a misunderstanding, long story. Don't reply here anymore even if I type here, since I need to redirect you all.
Best,
KEn

Ok, I have added to the homework. LOOK AT OBJECTS AROUND YOU AND SEE IF THE HIGHLIGHTS MOVE AS YOU WALK AROUND THE ROOM, FOLLOWING YOU, SEE HOW ANOTHER PERSON MAY SEE IT IN AN AREA YOU CANNOT. THEN LOOK FOR THIS GRADATION IN LESS OBVIOUS OBJECTS, LIKE ONES WHERE THE LIGHT SEEMS TO STICK TO IT, SEE HOW THE VALUES CAN CHANGE SLIGHTLY AS YOU WALK AROUND. REMEMBER, ALL LIGHT REFLECTS SPECULARLY IN DIFFERENT DEGREES SO YOU SHOULD SEE THIS EVEN IN OBJECTS YOU WOULD NOT EXPECT.

Look up more Sargent portraits and the actual people, do the detective work. I want to see those pics with the comparative descriptions between the actual person and the portrait, what did Sargent change? With the wetcanvas army we can see tons of examples how you can alter a portrait as long as you did it while being in perfect control, because you intended it to be so, not because you failed at your goal (not getting it right).

Submit altered newspapers cutout or photos where you indicate the terminator, or blocking out with a black marker the shadow family from the light.

You can also outline each and every tone and point it out.

Also look up Jo Jefferson, or Joseph Jefferson, Sargent painted him, see the painting and the real person. Look at more examples. You need to interpret the person as well, not just render feature by feature. It is not my idea, SArgent himself did it. Remember a portrait, like Leffel said, is a dialogue between the sitter and the artist, both have to work together; how the artist sees the sitter and how the sitter would like to see herself...Its a dilemma. I know. For now all we need to know about is planes and tones, we are jumping into a whole new webinar!!!! aahaahaha.
Edit/Delete Message

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
post in this following link, even to my replies typed here since you already typed here. But lets rendezvous in this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306242&page=11

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Yesterday's lesson seemed a bit fast for me in the beginning, because it was a totally new concept for me. I like the Power Points, because I can go back and review the basic concepts again. I also like the drawings and the paintings presented--all helped to bring more clarification to a new concept. Now I understand that reflected light in shadows does not mean that we are defining actual distance, but rather a visual reading that the eye and mind perceives because of how the light penetrates or reflects certain areas in the shadows. It is a switch from trying to learn how to create planes in landscapes with color values to understanding how light values creates its own planes even though it may be contrary to visual logic. I hope I have a correct understanding of what you are trying to teach us.
I am really looking forward to the next lesson and hope that I will get an even more indepth understanding of this concept. I was intrigued by what you said about the planes of the face----the concept of understanding the planes of the face is the most important part of drawing faces and the idea that such a small percentage of the drawing creates the differences in one person's face to another. Thank you so much for this class. See you next week.

I will post this text in the other thread and reply, it is too important.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Let me respond here before Monday, I just spend a few hours on the other thread. Don't worry I have not ignored this thread. Just check for the reply here, and use the other thread, copy or paste the text and remind the rest. I want to fade this away since I am juggling too many threads.
Ken

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I am still confusing the core line with the terminator? any help with this will be really appreciated.
Phyllis
Review people's homework how they handle it, they are great visual examples. I will talk about that a bit more on Sat.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I am posting 3 paintings. Two are painting of artists Carolous Duran and one of Diego Valasquez that you mhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0001.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/994502-Scan_Pic0003.jpg entioned in class.

I don't know what to say, unless I am wrong judging by the size of the pics, the last two ones, you seem to understand this perfectly. PLease post this in the official thread for people to see, I am glad there are more people that get it than what I thought.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Oh but one more thing, you did fall for one mistake, just because an artist cools or greys a tone, does not mean it is a halftone, a halftone has to be a value change. Portrait artists grey or cool down planes in the main or local light, that are receding, in order to make them more 3D when the planes are in the same value. Anyone can fall for this trick. The first photo where the side of the face is greyed down, I think, is NOT due to a halftone, but an age old trick of cooling the side planes that are the same value and or getting the same amount of light as the ones facing you, it is still within the local light or main light family. Other than that, great job, just be careful with that, you would not see this in real life in people, but artists do it to increase the 3D.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Enjoyed the class ... just wish UStream was more compatable with old computers. In and out about 5 times .... but did see most of the class. I like the format you had for it. I did a sketch from a photo of my youngest granddaughter. Hope it attached ... new on the upload features. I kept it on the lighter side (original better and smoother lines than the scan) because it was a child and didn't want to many darks to compete. Critique welcome. This is my 2nd drawing I've done. Have never been successful with children and women before as less detail in their faces so I was very happy with this drawing. :wave: :wave:
I think you know your way around a pencil. I like it, though the eyes seem a tiny bit off, maybe they are too dark? There should some light there sneaking in opposite to where the highlights are, even if his eyes are black, it has something to do with the anatomy. Check the pic, you should post it or send it to me for me to critique, and so I can be sure as to how you changed it up. I have some suspicions about the shading, but honestly, I like it. Remember, post in the other thread, and send me an email or private message with the real pic if you want me to help you more.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/153055-Steamboat.gif

Ken, I chose this photo for my homework because it shows how the detail of the people in the shadow in the foreground contrasts with the detail in the sunny areas. In the shadow, the colors are muted, there is no detail of faces or clothing, we can't see individual people - it looks like a mass instead. On the sunny areas, we can see sharp details, vibrant colors and each individual object stands out.

Also, on the building, the side that is in shadow shows little detail, softer colors, while the sunny side shows very sharp details and vibrant colors. Same for the "Gondola Entrance" sign...we can barely see the last two letters that are in the shadow.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, you are right, also in snow, our eyes can only adjust so much to the light of the snow, so it gives up, instead it just reduces that light to a mass, and the shadow becomes lighted and detailed, so the opposite happens, because our eyes fail to pick up that much light, thereby giving up. I am not sure what this process is called, someone who is more knowledgeable about this could help me out?

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Ken, the subject you were touching on is very aptly described in a book called "the art of figure drawing" by Clem Robbins whose pages 17 thru 23 show explicit samples of the planes and terminator areas that change the lighting values etc. It is a very informative book all through, but the samples I alluded to are of particular interest in their simplicity to understand by the budding uninformed would be artist. I hope your students check this book out. Lildip
This info is out there, I know, it is not mine. But many people are too lazy to read or figure things out. I did not take classes or webinars of this, and Johannes himself is not that interested in these transitions because as a landscape painter you do not need to be so meticulous on the these concepts; so we discussed it very broadly. We hardly spoke about this, so alot came naturally from my inquiring mind while studying portraits, and then I saw it all existed out there in books haahhhaa. This is why he probably did not go that meticulously into this. Only still life or portrait painters feel the need do, because any flaw in the system will throw off the whole look, but in a tree, or rock, -abandoning these concepts is a more forgiving thing because we do not relate to these things like we do with humans; any flaw would be seen as something within the 'style' of the artist in landscape. I will check out that book, see what I can get out of it. Next class is about color, a topic that is not that out there or explicitly stated; color related to transitions and all this stuff, not color theory.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Kenneth, I am really enjoying the class.
Please look at my submission as ahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/221251-Sketch.jpg "sketch" of elements received from the class.
After doing this I see I need to understand how to apply the background paint to show atmosphere. I need work to work larger to get in detail. Well I need work on everything. This sketch is a start.
Thank you. Lois
In general its about back to front more than left to right, meaning not just thinking how light travels from left to right across a form, or top to bottom, it is more important to think of it as how light reduces as it recedes or advances. You are always working the two opposites together, light and shadow, background to foreground.
Keep at it, post in the other thread.
Ken

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Great idea rosehip, that would be nice for me too, say power point handouts with our Wetcanvas reminder on the day of the Webinar before we start and then follow the class with the sketches!...Best of both worlds!:thumbsup:

David
My employers would not like that... they need the revenue from the recordings in order to pay the staff, and keep the thing going. Don't worry, what I say and write on the slides are not different, in fact I am reading them myself, but it does not sound like it because I do not do it like a robot, I make it sound like I am improvising.
Ken

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2013/1067432-image.jpg
This a painting I did some years ago. Is it something close to what you expected from us ? I am afraid the contrasts are not strong enough ....
I agree with all that was said above about your so interesting class : speak a bit slower, draw as much as you can to explain what you are saying, repeat important facts again and again.
The class was extremely interesting and packed with new things to most of us. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. We need time so everything can sink in. Can't wait for next Saturday !
Sorry ! I could not put the photo straight... First time I post a drawing ...'
Be careful with how you handle the color of your shadows, since they will not look transparent, it is not that much about the value, it is also about the color. This I will talk about during the last class. The painting looks pretty good, though I would have to see it from close up, but the concept seems interesting. I would need to look at a better pic, I cannot look at it side ways, its very uncomfortable.
Keep posting on the other thread.

Ken Instructor
02-24-2013, 08:28 PM
One suggestion........please, when using text slides, please leave on the screen long enough for me to read. So difficult for me to read with understanding while listening. At my age :eek: I can no longer multi task.:crying:

Have read the other posts here and I am astounded that many people in your class are knowledgeable. Of course you cannot slow everything down to meet the needs of those of us who are not.

See you next class.........dor:)

There is no need to multitask because listening to me and reading are not separate tasks. Just listen to what I say, since I am practically reading the slides, they are for my reference in order to know what to say. But I am not going to do that anymore, I am going to make the slides more vague, just enough to tell me what to say, and not tempt people to read them.
I thank you all for your comments. I will do my best, I tend to slow down and suit other people and then I get pms from people telling me that I am too redundant, and that I should move on to another point. That I am being too basic, etc etc. I am always awe struck because I do not know what to do. I will do better at my speech. I guess I will plan for people to get less info well stated, as opposed to a myriad of information people could always reference.

Last class I think I overstated some points, some people seem to have understood the first time, others still don't get it in spite of the repetition. I have to suit both parties: People willing to get the recordings and let the class move on its course, and people who need to understand it at that moment. You gotta bear with me, it is not easy. I am teaching like 400 students from different nationalities, linguistic capacities, artistic background, age, etc.

Please post in the other thread,
Ken

Sue Stiltz
02-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't think I did it right but as I was sketching got carried away and sketched the whole picture (3 of them) but fairly happy with results. Critique welcomed. I also will hold off on sending other picture until I try to do it with what I learned today. Really enjoying the class ... and the information. Would not let me upload the original of Sargent and Michelangelo but I'm sure you know them well. I thought I had gotten those files small enough but apparently I didn't. Can redo size and upload later if you need them. Look forward to what you have to say. I think the drawings show the terminator and core ... thank you for this class. It's getting me off the slump I've been in for far to long. PS I hope the four files load ...:wave:

Ken Instructor
02-28-2013, 02:40 AM
Remember to post on the other thread, but I will answer here now that you posted it here, soon. For any of you naughty ones in the wrong thread, please read this message...

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT, THOUGH THE COURSE DESCRIPTION OFFICIALLY MENTIONS PAINTING DEMOS, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PREFERRING MY QUICK DRAWINGS ON THE SPOT, AS LONG AS I USE THEM TO ANSWER QUESTIONS, IMPROVISING IN THE MOMENT TO SUIT PEOPLE'S NEEDS AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT DEVIATE TOO MUCH FROM THE TOPIC.

THE FIRST HALF OF THE NEXT CLASS WILL INCLUDE SLIDES BECAUSE I NEED TO EXPLAIN THE COLOR ASPECT OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT, FOR THAT I NEED PRE PLANNED SLIDES, BECAUSE PAINTING ALL THOSE EXAMPLES WOULD TAKE TOO MUCH TIME (PAINTING IS NOT AS FLUID AS DRAWING).

BUT THE NEXT HALF CAN BE ONE OF TWO THINGS:

A) LIVE DRAWINGS PARTICULARLY IN REFERENCE TO PLANES, WHICH IS SOMETHING PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ASKING A LOT ABOUT. I CAN DRAW SOME ROCKS AND ROUNDED OBJECTS AND SHOW OR EXAGGERATE THE PLANES AND EXPLAIN MORE HOW IT RELATES TO THE FACE. THIS WILL PREPARE YOU GUYS FOR THE NEXT COURSE WHICH WILL DEAL ONLY WITH THE PROPER CONSTRUCTION OF THE HEAD THROUGH PLANES.

B) WE CAN GO ON TO A PAINING DEMO, NOT LIVE, BUT A PRE RECORDED VIDEO OF ME DEMONSTRATING A SARGENT STUDY, THAT WILL NOT SHOW (AS MUCH) THE TOPICS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN MOSTLY INTERESTED IN, BUT JUST THE BRUSHWORK, HANDLING OF SUBJECT, AS WELL AS ME EXPLAINING HOW HE GOT THE THINGS TO LOOK SO BRIGHT, WHICH WAS ALSO PART OF MY INTENTION TO REVIEW.

NOW, I AM SUBMITTING THIS TO A DEMOCRACY, PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL ASAP TO THE EMAIL OF:

[email protected]

USE NO OTHER EMAIL. AND IN THE SUBJECT LINE TYPE EITHER "DRAWING"- IF YOU WANT THE DRAWING DEMOS OR...

'PAINTING' IF YOU WANT THE PRE-RECORDED DEMO.

PLEASE, I WILL NOT OPEN THE EMAILS, I WILL ONLY COUNT HOW MANY PEOPLE WANT WHICH OPTION, BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF SUBJECT LINES THAT VOTE FOR EITHER TWO OF THE OPTIONS. I WILL NOT EVEN OPEN THE MAIL. TYPE IT IN CAPS AND WRITE NOTHING ELSE, MY EYE NEEDS TO COUNT QUICKLY WITHOUT DISTRACTIONS, FOR THERE ARE 400 EMAILS I WOULD EXPECT ON GETTING.

ONLY USE THAT EMAIL FOR THIS PURPOSE. PLEASE.

THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION, AGAIN, THIS IS TO SUIT YOUR INTERESTS, I TRY TO PLAN FOR ONE DIRECTION, BUT PEOPLE'S MINDS AND INTERESTS TEND TO BE A BIT DIFFERENT THAN ANTICIPATED WHEN WRITING THE COURSE DESCRIPTION. I APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION, WHILE I WORK ALL THESE BUGS OUT.

DO THIS ASAP, PLEASE, FOR YOUR SAKE.

KEN
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=19499587)

Ken Instructor
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't think I did it right but as I was sketching got carried away and sketched the whole picture (3 of them) but fairly happy with results. Critique welcomed. I also will hold off on sending other picture until I try to do it with what I learned today. Really enjoying the class ... and the information. Would not let me upload the original of Sargent and Michelangelo but I'm sure you know them well. I thought I had gotten those files small enough but apparently I didn't. Can redo size and upload later if you need them. Look forward to what you have to say. I think the drawings show the terminator and core ... thank you for this class. It's getting me off the slump I've been in for far to long. PS I hope the four files load ...:wave:

Nice drawings! But I am worried you might be leaving off the halftone, I am looking for it but cannot find it, it is the most beautiful of transitions and Sargent himself payed extra close attention to it. Really accustom yourself to looking for this, I will explain on Saturday other key points as to how to find it. The Michelangelo portrait, I think it is DaVinci's self portrait, or is it not?
Look in the other thread to see other homework submissions, there are some great examples there.

Best,
Ken (no more submissions here please)

Sue Stiltz
02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Sorry. You keep saying use other thread but what thread is that. This thread is labeled HOMEWORK THREAD LELMENTS OF FORM. Is there more than one homework thread and I'm not seeing it?:confused:

Banner
03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Showing slides then followed by paintings showing brush strokes sounds great to me thanks Ken

Celry
03-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Good morning

Here is my homework. I decided to use charcoal as it is one of my favourite mediums and I don't use it enough.
I might not have the exact terminology, that I would have to study more but I think I understand the rules.

Ken Instructor
03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
This is the thread where all the action is happening

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306242&page=19

click on that link

Stop posting on this thread, it is hard to juggle to threads.
Ken

Ken Instructor
03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Sorry. You keep saying use other thread but what thread is that. This thread is labeled HOMEWORK THREAD LELMENTS OF FORM. Is there more than one homework thread and I'm not seeing it?:confused:

Sue, I pasted the link below, where to go, you mean you have been missing 18 pages of action throughout the whole 3 weeks? If so , you better catch up and read all the interesting stuff there.

I recall pasting the link several times here, trying redirect people there, long story how the misunderstanding happened, but I could not eliminate the thread.

Ken Instructor
03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Good morning

Here is my homework. I decided to use charcoal as it is one of my favourite mediums and I don't use it enough.
I might not have the exact terminology, that I would have to study more but I think I understand the rules.

Your homework seems correct, just where you say 5 tones, I would have needed to know precisely which ones, because the highlight would not be there, tell me each one.

Ken Instructor
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM

What I meant here is to be more careful with your value transitions, not so dramatic, most of all simplify those shapes. Keep practicing with the pencil sketch more Sargents, he was a master of simplifying values and shapes. Keep at, but I do like those drawings, I would just have been more careful with each tone. It is hard to explain verbally.

susanc
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
... just wish UStream was more compatable with old computers.
I am sorry you are having problems! Once I somehow lost all sound when I exited from the Webinar. I had to install new sound drivers--but it took a while for me to figure that out and I missed quite a bit of the Ustream class in the meantime. :( I can really sympathize with being unable to access a class!

I am using a computer we bought brand-new in mid-2005. I consider it to be an old system, but maybe your computer is older?! :heart: My operating system is Windows XP. The computer has never been upgraded in any way...RAM, processor, etc. I had no problems with UStream last week so I wonder if the problem might be your browser, or your connection to the internet, or needing the latest update of Adobe flash, etc.?

I don't know how to do wireless connections with this version of Windows, so I am hooked up to my FIOs wireless router using a cable. I run Firefox with an adblocker plug-in and have had no ad interruptions during the classes. My ability to upgrade my Adobe flash plug-in is hit and miss. Sometimes the update initializes, sometimes it doesn't, so I think I will have to get a new computer soon. Current technology might be too far beyond the capabilities of my computer processor any time now.

Someone was having problems with Ustream last Sat. Later she wrote that an update to Google Chrome browser made all the difference; she stopped having problems. Even then, it's hard to say exactly what is causing the problems you are experiencing because there are many variables.

Being in a hurry to join the class, I haven't really taken enough time to read all of Joe's help page here:
http://improvemypaintings.com/VideoAccess.html
Or his troubleshooting page here:
http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html

So far, Ustream is going OK for me, but it's nice to have those links for future reference. I really hope one of these suggestions works so that things go smoother for you next time!