PDA

View Full Version : Look if you Dare!

Danny
09-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Greetings friends and fellow artist. I know everyone of you work very hard at your art, but what amazes me is, for instance on this post, 52482 posted yet there were only 5198 comments. I was under the impression that the reason that Scott and the others have and created this wonderful community was for comments, help and critique. It seems the same fine artist are the only ones doing this over and over again. It is very rare that I view a sight or artwork that I can't find something to comment on. Artist like to know what everyone thinks if not for others opinion but their perspective! Come on friends and loved ones I know the cat doesn't got your Toung. :cat:

Maysun
09-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Okey-dokey, Danny - come comment on my artwork:D

Maysun;)

Tamana
09-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Mine!! MINE!!! I was here before she was!!!

Pilan
09-08-2003, 01:40 AM
hey tam thanks for the comment..... my art not for those faint at heart :D IMAGINATION STATION elementary my dear watson! come and comment

come one come all,,,,just say something Dammit :p

fractalfingers
09-08-2003, 10:06 AM
actually, you have it backwards... there have been 5200 topics posted and 52,000 responses.. meaning the average post got 10 responses.

Keith Russell
09-08-2003, 10:15 AM
I've read Danny's post in two other forums, so far.

I still don't have a clue what it means.

I feel that I've posted my 'fair share'...

K

christinabella
09-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Phew! --Keith, I have read them too, and I thought it was me I didn't see anything to respond to, so I decided to keep my mouth shut. ( have you any idea how difficult that is for me....???):D

Elankat
09-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Try 10 forums...and twice in this one.

Spam much Danny?:rolleyes:

Danny
09-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Never did care much for spam but I love a good Steak. Prefur cajun steaks with fried taters and lots of hot peppers. As most everyone here see's I do almost always comment on others work. and yes I will check yours out n comment.:D Oh and thank fractalfingerss must have been looking in a mirror at the back of my head is why I got it wrong.

mame
09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
REAL artists don't eat quiche and don't count the impact of a particular work on the number of click-and-look-and-pat-on-the-heads. One good right on the money observation sometimes says it all.

My Absence/Silence Scenarios:

"Not bad, but I've got a deadline and have GOT TO GET OFF THIS COMPUTER"

WIP - "don't want to attempt to sway the artist one way or another at this point". The artist has alot to work out for him/herself at this point".

"this work does everything it's supposed to do. Nothing more to add".

"The artist hasn't asked for imput. Want a pat on the head? Show it to your mother".

"it sucks. Say nothing....."

"this is a particular genre I have no expertise in, knowledge of, particular interest in. Ya want, I LIKE IT, I DON'T LIKE IT bull with no constructive criticism"?

"this artist is very sensitive to criticism. Keep your mouth shut".

"Hi, _______. (these artists pm me or contact me personally for the "hard-core" stuff or with whom I have a running/on-going correspondence and know where I'm comin from and don't want/need PUBLIC affirmation from me. They hit my work down and dirty too.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Interesting points, mame. I've just always assumned (dun dun dun dun....), that any post in a public forum was automatically "implied" by the artist that a response was being solicited. The thought that they hadn't requested one never crossed my mind as perhaps being implied they weren't interested in any.

As for a WIP - I personally would LOVE input as I am new and just learning and wanting to chew and swallow as much as I can, especially with missions coming up. We are very limited on the amount of things we can take into a country, suitcases even have to be small due to space restraints etc. so I can't be wide open in art in the field. And anyway, I don't think teaching children to burn their finger paintings in art is a good idea but hey....

Responses aren't important to me, but they do encourage me. I think encouragement is important, but I also think honesty is. I have learned the hard way who seems to be sensitive to what I consider constructive critique. They seem to view it as criticism. Thus, I always try to balance with what I do like about the piece. And why.

The number of responses vs. the number of hits is irrelevant. I mean many many visitors who aren't members frequent these forums and they can't respond. So, probably a healthy percentage of those who hit aren't even members but high plain's drifters.

In thinking back, I haven't received much critique of my work, I think "Succession" was the only one people pm'd about not really liking it. I appreciated their honesty and imput. I've received lots of support and encouragement. This could be because I'm new to this and they don't want to discourage me, or maybe the style is different and unexplored so they're not familiar with burnings and glue weaves and don't know what to suggest....endless possibilities.

Thing is, don't take it personally if there are or aren't responses. Now if my friends have disappeared for periods of time I'm comin' huntin' em to make sure everything's all right.

There are particular ones, especially those such as Keef, who specialize in collage, that I want to view my work. I know he'll let me know if I may be in violation of copyright laws and honest about the design and composition etc. Those who don't deal in collage and fire and glue and insulation and cabinet doors and cardboard I don't expect a response from.

It's nice to know your art pleases someone and that you've contributed to a smile; however, it's better to know that your art pleases you and causes you to smile. That's what it's really about - to me, anyway.

One of the most precious gifts we can give to others is our time, so, when someone shares theirs with me, I recognize the value in it.

mame
09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Good points/observations, tam.:cool:

VieSaintSo
09-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Tam!
You took all those wonderful words/thoughts right out of my mouth/ mind!!!:p
And long live collage!!! And people caring...etc!!

mame
09-09-2003, 02:46 PM
just a side note tam......
I understand the encouragement thing. I do alot of it in real life - and I look for it and appreciate it and honor it like everyone else

but when someone posts a pic and includes comments like:

I LOVE what I've done here.... this is my best work...... I showed this to my teacher and he/she said it was perfect..... this work is now showing in _________ exhibit....I've gotten nothing but kudos for this one.....just wanted to share it with you......I've been studying art for _____years and this one got into such and such county fair/competition/gallery.......I'm selling these like candy......whatever....

and you see a blatant oversight(that is NOT INTENTIONAL) re perspective, values, anatomy, composition, whatever.......

what are ya going to say? Encouragement is one thing, but "help" is rarely helpful.....especially when it is not solicited.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Why thank ya mame & Vie. The beautiful side of words. :)

Right with you, mame. I hesitate to comment at all under those circumstances except with a: "congratulations" or something, though, I must admit (personally), I want to say: "You've got to be kidding?" Then I wonder what the competition was but I digress. When I first frequented here I thought all painters wanted to hear was how good their piece was; however, as one that creates now (love crossing to the other side of that fence too), I realize that what is wanted (if anything at all), for the most part, IS honesty. This seems to build trust and allow for the vulnerability and openness that builds not just friendships, but, as you described mame:

"Hi, _______. (these artists pm me or contact me personally for the " - " stuff or with whom I have a running/on-going correspondence and know where I'm comin from and don't want/need PUBLIC affirmation from me. They hit my work down and dirty too.

To me, this is what I aspire to. I just didn't know I had to pm you to get it. ;) Just not sure if you're afraid of fire!! :D So, feel free to jump in and say it straight to the hip on mine. This goes for anyone! "Hey you should've burned that foam on the left side not right." Or whatever. lol.

I see certain others tell it like it is on other's paintings and I am like: I WANT YOU!!!! All I know is that I want honesty, brute if necessary, but, honesty none the less. Which, as previously stated, is difficult in my medium. Honesty to one may simply be an opinion to another. Some want the blue-green others like my red pieces.

Either way: they burn & weave. :D

And hey, I like the honest "I like it" too. Sometimes I just like a piece without elaborating on it. I just like it. lol.

arourapope
09-09-2003, 03:33 PM
it's a peach, dammit. :p

mame
09-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm way too long at the animal farm today........avoidance, ya know?

I gotcha tam. Some work, like the gorgeous twins' - muchfoolishness and gar, el's - who is also cute (except he aint here any more), somerset's digital, photography, and yours too, tam are "I like em's" for the most part, but I'm outta my element and have little to offer re responding aesthetically/technically to your mediums/processes.

Sometimes I can just say with abandon - Gorgeous! Sometimes my eye sees (as best one can in a jpeg) a little faux pas re design or some little technical thing but might not respond if the "feel" of the thread by the time I get there tells me loud and clear not to.

I gotta go do something productive.....gesso something or shave my legs or something.

PS and then I'm outta here - Maybe people want feedback about meaning? I pass on that because an artwork means SOMETHING. Sometimes not what the artist intended, but something. If SOMETHING doesn't come across - it's usually a problem with all those technical/design things people don't wanna talk about.
Okay! goodby!

Tamana
09-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by mame
Sometimes my eye sees (as best one can in a jpeg) a little faux pas re design or some little technical thing but might not respond if the "feel" of the thread by the time I get there tells me loud and clear not to.

Ugh!!!! Shot through the heart!!!! My work is NEVER done. I've altered 90 percent (I just noticed there is no percent key on my board - oh - o/o - eww sucky), since I've posted them here. Please do not let that stop you. It could only get better with suggestions.

In essence, mame. Make me write bad checks. Make me cash em.

Meaning is important regardless if it's the artist's intentional one while creating. I think if the artist just knows it means something to someone...then...well, you know.

I can see we have the same tastes in the "i like it" artists here. :)

Oh...and let me just add:

PEAR!!!