PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Monday 11th February 2013***

ollieowl
02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
morning folk black out side

Think the bar of light above Oxford would be street lights on clouds as our sun set about 6pm here!

yes Geoff you are right
well bar glow from Oxford one side and Didcot the other

Darla not a lot working by night sleeping by day catching on this weeks sleep

:wave: Kay

nice day or night to every one

HAWLTAIN :heart: 2 all else

doppler
02-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Hi Peter and all to follow.

Good you are home Gail.

June stay safe and warm.

Tired after today so :wave:

shipbroker
02-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Morning all.

Today is a dust and polish day before the visitors get here!...don't know why as not needed!

Grey but dry out there looks cold.

Stay safe all those 'Across the Pond'

geoff

Yorky
02-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Good morning all. It's been a clear night and so the temperature has slumped to 0C.

Nothing much on the cards for today, Ruth's hairdresser is due at 9am.

Doug

laudesan
02-11-2013, 04:37 AM
:wave:

I went looking at mountain bikes again this afternoon, and I think I have found the one I am going to buy. :thumbsup: It is a 2013 Merida (http://www.merida.com.au/2013-bikes/mtb-hardtail/matts-tfs/matts-tfs-100.htm) I go back on Wednesday to finalise the deal.

Love hugs and healing vibes.....

Doris345
02-11-2013, 04:49 AM
Good morning, Washers

Geoff - please feel free to "dust and polish" for me any time you want to.
Kay - I'm am not even more eager to see the show - and your pom-pommed helmet.
Reggie - good luck witt the new job.
Good morning and Hello to Ollie, Annie, Doug.
JJ - I like your new bike. Good luck.

Quiet day planned - Streets are clear, snow is so 'done' and NYC is back to normal (whatever that is). Dinner tonight with my BFF at a nice French bistro on the Upper East Side.

:wave: to all who are yet to come.

Doris

ScarletLake
02-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Hello everyone:wave: :wave:

Geoff - Will be thinking of you and your family this week

Gail - So glad that you are home and can rest and get back to normal. Nothing feels as good as HOME

A good visit with my Dad on Saturday afternoon. Took him some home baked chocolate chip cookies and the facility has an area set up like a little coffee shop that is a Starbucks owned area. It has a coffee bar and a coffee machine where you can choose 2 different kinds of coffee or hot cocoa. So we all had a hot chocolate. Dad has gained 10 lbs back.:clap: :clap:

To Uschi seeing the documentary on long term care ---Yes - when you have many individuals with dementia in an area they get in each others "space" and given that their behaviors are not in check things can go bad.

Sometimes they will slap each other and I have had to separate some who got into a full fledge fist fight. It is something you have to watch for as well as being the nurse and staff you can get hit and kicked.

I narrowly missed getting hit in the head one time from a male resident whose family had brought him a metal pipe. Why they did that I will never know but he was hiding behind his door when I went in his room. He missed me but it was very close.

Well I have one more night of Downton Abbey till the season ends. Last nights episode was a long one with much ado. I'm still in love with it and Oh the Hats. :D :D I love the hats and clothes.

OK Bill ---I didn't spill the beans this time:wink2: :wink2:

Lots to do today and looks like our weather this week will be a little warmer but grey and rainy.

Anita

cloudchaser
02-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Good morning everyone,

Grey and cold here today, may get some snow, had a light sprinkling last night.

Geoff , hope all goes well this week. I went to a funeral last Thursday, it was the wife's aunt betty. If anyone deserves to get into Heaven then she does, I have never met anyone so kind ,considerate, thoughtful, never thinking of herself only of others. We will miss her smiling face.

Hi to Doug, JJ (enjoy the bike!) Annie,Peter,Doris(enjoy your meal tonight), Anita (why would anyone take a resident a metal pipe?, good job he didn't ask for a gun!!!) Hi to all washers yet to arrive here:wave:

I have nearly finished an oil painting(sorry!) , today may complete it. It is a view of old thatched cottages on the Isle of Wight, southern England.

Have a great day all, healing prayers to all those feeling down

take care
regards
Tony:wave:

Scene Chaser
02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Good Day All,
A little windy here with increased temps but will get very windy later when the temps cool.
Taking my time with the window grilles as so many parts need re-gluing.

JJ, I anxious to see what a mountain bike looks like in Australia since I've seen what you all use for shopping carts.:)
Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2013/83119-Austrailian_shopping_cart.jpg

shipbroker
02-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Afternoon all,

Been polishing and even cleaned the car and caravan!

Thanks all your wishes for this week...as you know funeral tomorrow afternoon and the scattering of ashes on Wednesday and then my friends funeral on Thursday......hopefully caravan on Friday.

geoff

CharM
02-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Good morning... wet and a little wild in SW Ontario... lots of rain and a warm 4C ensures that the snow is rapidly melting away... The problem is that it doesn't have anywhere to go, so it's laying on top of the ground making slippery lakes of all our walkways... :(

I'm not sure how my Students will get in the door today... The porch is surrounded by a couple inches of water and Ted's trying to figure out how to put down a safe gang plank!

The East Coast is bracing for yet another storm. Canada's coast was buried under 50-60cm of snow with 100km winds. More is on the way. North and east of us are getting freezing rain before their snow sets in...

The Pope has decided to resign. Wow...

Geoff, I *get* why Eileen feels the need to dust and polish! :) It's a sad, sad week for you and yours... ((()))

Anita, the most frightening statistic was that 10,000 assaults across Canada had been reported to police. There is no recourse for residents because prosecutions don't happen on account of the dementia of the abusers... it's shocking.

Matt tells us that both Nursing Homes he's worked in have "Dementia Wards" that are heavily staffed.

Nice bike, JJ.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tony!

That poor animal is shackled, Bill! :eek:

:wave: Everyone... I need to get things set up for my Classes... I hope everyone has the best possible day. Hawltain! :heart:

shipbroker
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2013/84585-possum.jpg

Anyone lose a kitten??

geoff

olliewood0702
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Happy Monday Washers.

So far so good...no symptoms of flu :crossfingers: I figure today would be the 4th day and incubation is 1-4 days. Kaitlyn sounds awfu(coughing and hoarse)l but is no longer contagious;and probably went back to school today.

It's raining here and quite mild. Our subdivision road is glare ice but the roads were just wet coming into work. Larry said it's supposed to be mild (40F) until THursday. Today however we will have strong winds.

I noticed this morning that it is getting lighter out earlier and earlier.:clap:

Uschi, yes June is right you should get checked out; just to make sure everything is okay. Losing time like that could indeed be a little TIA.

WHOOHOO Anita, great news of your Dad's continued health improvement.

JJ, I'm glad you found a suitable bike for your needs; did you buy a helmet too?

Geoff, I sure do hope you will be caravanning on Friday. You so deserve it.

Peter, my hubby worked nights for years and years, not a good shift for your body clock.

Annie, sleep well.

Bill, that pic is hilarious! Too funny.

Tony, did you post your oil painting in the oil forum gallery? I'm glad you have fond memories of your wife's aunt. Treasure them.

Doris, I hope you have a fantastic day.

Doug, I hope you are having a good day and your back is better now.

Char, I know we have huge puddles here too; I hope Ted can figure something out that your students can use to safely get to your door.

Geoff.....hahaha that could be Ms Feral!:eek: :lol:

Enjoy your day everyone!:wave: :heart:

Doris345
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Hi again

Kay - I meant to say: I am now even more eager to see the show,
I promise to proofread in the future.

Hello to Bill, Tony, Darla, Uschi, Anita

Doris

LynnM
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone! off to town for an appt. BBL..............

Uschi
02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Above freezing and very damp looking.

The muscles I offended during yesterday's gym have settled down again:thumbsup:

I don't think I got my story across properly yesterday, I didn't lose time, actually kind of the opposite - it just dragged on soooooooo slowly, i.e. when I thought it was around three in the afternoon it was only one. Thanks for your concern June and Darla!

Some grocery shopping and then table tennis in the afternoon.

Reggie, CONGRATULATIONS and :clap: :clap: :clap:

Geoff, did you manage to stop the second cold in its track??

Char, lucky you, two lakes next to your house:evil: :lol:

Bill :rolleyes: :lol:

JJ, nice bike!!! How many gears?? By the way, if you ever get tired of the thick/broad/heavy tires you can just have them switched for normal ones.

Anita, glad your dad is doing so well!!!

Tony, Doug, Annie, Darla, Doris, Peter :wave: to you and all yet to come!! :grouphug: to those of you not feeling well!!

Uschi

Wind Song
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Char that is a good idea to screw the warped canvas into a frame!

Freezing rain here today!

I am heading back to bed!

Have a great one!

NancyR
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Just a quick pop-in to say good morning. I had a quiet weekend working on income taxes and getting depressed. As the mortgage is nearly paid off, very few deductions are available.

Still in shock about the Pope resigning. As a "recovering" Catholic, I have seen it all!

Today at lunch, I need to run to get my old hearing aid adjusted to my latest test results. Do not know what that is going to cost since it is six years old.

Geoff, I don't know where you find those photos, but the raccoon holding the kitten is priceless. Thank you for the morning laugh.

Anita, there have been two aggressive patients in my mother's house that had to be told to find other accommodations. One woman grabbed a knife and went after the caretakers. Another man would trip and then kicked an aide in the back sending her to the hospital. Thank goodness there are only 12 people in my mother's house. The workers keep a close eye on everyone.

Got to get to work. I'll check in later today. White light and hugs to all in need.

shipbroker
02-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Uschi.........cold no worse thanks...still there but keeping fairly quiet!!

LOvely day weatherwise here...what happened to all the snow we were forecast yesterday/today??...still time.

geoff

WthrLady
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Growing gills.... 4inches of rain overnight and another 3 on the way.Good thing we have sandy soil!

CharM
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Hiya... My next Class will begin in just a few minutes... I had my lunch and of course, had to check in here to see what's happening! :)

The wind is blowing and whipping the tree branches like crazy. I kind of don't mind because I'm hoping it will help get rid of some of that surface water before our next storm... The sky's been a crazy colour of payne's grey and gamboge... One minute it's dark as night and the next it's creepy yellow...

:crossfingers: that you're over the hump and won't be coming down with the flu, Darla!!!

Uschi, I wasn't worried about you... 'course, we did just speak on the phone the other day. How many times have you thought today was Friday only to realize it was really Thursday (or some such thing)... I lose time all the time! :lol:

Hiya Doris, Lynn, Sharon, Nancy, Geoff and Caryl... time for me to get back to *work*, too!! :wave:

kaypainter
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Am re-posting this as posted so late yesterday.

Walked to LACMA to see the Caravaggio Exhibit (http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/bodies-and-shadows-caravaggio-and-his-legacy) and then home. My legs hurt like ----- blazes! But it was wonderful. Closing day. Hope the link still works by the time any of you see this post. Bought a lovely book on Caravaggio published by Taschen -- inexpensive and I got a 10% discount for being a member of the museum. :D

Okay, okay, I'll get some photos of the new pieces.

Yes we all had to wear tin foil helmets as part of the audition. You could make your own or use one of theirs.. You know I had to make my own. And, no, I'm not showing it to you. I threw part of it out anyway. Suffice it to say it involved my purple Susie Who pom pommed head band. :evil:

As I walked back the sky in front of me was absolutely black. Did not rain here -- of course because I took an umbrella with me. Must have rained or snowed somewhere though. Usually the mountains as the clouds push up against them.

JJ nice bike. Nice price. :eek: :eek: Although that's probably reasonable. My brother used to buy handmade racing bikes (he seemed to have two or three at a time) that were $3000 a piece thirty years ago. Don't know what that would be in today's market? :eek:

Congratulations Reggie!!! How nice that it's closer to home too.

((((Geoff)))))) a long week ahead. Hope you get to caravan after.

Uschi I've had days like that where they seemed to drag on forever. You think it must be 7pm and look up to see the clock says 3pm. Of course I've had the opposite where the time flew by all too fast when I didn't want it to. :(

Doris :lol: I did figure it out -- eventually.

Kay, I'll show a photo when I've completed one. No, not trompe l'oeil, but real wood.
I guess is if you name a city after Canada, you're just asking for snow. :lol
Bill

Ha Ha. :p It should have a tilde over the 'n' so you would pronounce it La Canyada From the Spanish: "caņada -- which means gully, ravine, stream"

Anita that's wonderful about your dad. Who would give a resident a metal pipe?

Char one of the first signs of Alzheimers/Dementia is angry outbursts. I don't know if they think it comes from the actual disease or the frustration at not being able to understand things or do what one once did. Or maybe both. hope Ted can clear a path somehow. Maybe a canoe?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2013/130068-sleepy_smiley.jpeg Sweet dreams Annie and Peter.

Must get going. Lots to do today.

HAWLTAIN

:wave: :wave: :wave: To all I haven't mentioned and all on the way.

Kay

juneto
02-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Oh Uschi , You scared the daylights out of me . I am glad I just misunderstood . Your description was so real , I recalled being so confused and frightened by his behavior and his fighting me Not to call EMS. I did it anyway , thank goodness or he would be in The Dementia Ward NOW . It took 2 years to find the cause of it and the falling .
I have lots of days like that .
June:heart: :) :wave:

LynnM
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I've had my 3 km walk, sidewalks pretty clear as temp is above freezing and most people have shoveled a path. I stocked up on veg (again!) and fruit and have enough to last till Wed. when the taxi comes to take us grocery shopping. They had to cancel last Friday, weather too awful. Exciting life I lead :rolleyes:

Congratulations, Reggie, wonderful news!

Kay, that looks like a wonderful show at the art gallery, he was a fascinating person. the one I remember from Art History is the one of the murdered man in the bathtub, tends to stick in the mind! Looking forward to seeing your latest creations.

Rain starting here, Caryl, we will be wishing for sandy soil, don't know where all the water is going to go as all the catch basins seem to be plugged with piled snow.

Hope you feel better soon, Sharon.

Neat bike, JJ, looks a bit like mine was.

All the best...:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

New Gamboge
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Good morning everyone - Happy Family Day (not sure if its just BC or all of Canada).

Have fun on your new bike, JJ. Dave had an old exercise bike refitted to run his grain mill, so now I can do something useful while watching TV.

Sorry to hear about all of the awful weather (winter and summer) you are having. Our weather has been quite mild, even with some sun - the snowdrops are up, daffys poking their leaves up, soon crocuses and glory-in-the-snow (without the snow!).

I am busy trying to finish a painting, and frame it and others for our yearly show in March. We have been asked to stay for an extra 2 weeks in April, as the highschool group that is usually after us has decided not to put on a show this year- which is too bad as I find their work very interesting.

I haven't gone to a movie in a theatre for a long time as the only way I can do it is to wear ear plugs - I don't know why they have the sound turned up so loud.

Betty

olliewood0702
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
OH Kay, color me green; Carravaggio was one of my very favorite painters. His superb talent at creating shadow and light was amazing.

Uschi, whew...so glad you explained it better. Yup...the hours, days AND years fly by for all of us.

Char, I hope your class goes well.

June, I hope you soon will be all shoveled out; it'll take a while for many people to get their vehicles un-buried.

Caryl, that is a LOT of rain...no wonder you're growing gills; better build an ark.

Lynn, good for you going for your walk; I wish I could do mine during the day instead of in the evening because by then I'm so tired.

Hi Sharon and Nancy!

Well I'd best get back to my data entry now.

JudyL
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi, been unable to post lately, thanks to Doug for his help. Just watched Obama giving the Medal of Honor quite a touching ceremony.

Today the Grands are at home as in California schools take the day off to honor Lincoln's birthday.
So they are at home, but probably quite happy snuggled in the new sectional they bought yesterday. Quite comfy and squishey :smug:

A bit weepy this week, my sister's memorial is friday and I keep thinking.

LynnM
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
(((Judy)))

Since I don't have a vehicle, I get my exercise by not using the bus....I have been lucky this winter and last as the weather has been pretty mild. Most storms come and go and then the snow melts, or there's hardly any snow, so I can get out. I remember when I was working, Darla, it was hard. I was the best when I could cycle to work, but that didn't happen very often. I'm not good at exercising unless there is a practical goal, that's why I find the weights so hard to get to, but I really must do them. I am definitely at the age where if you don't use it, you loose it!

Darla, is there any place you can walk at lunchtime? That is what I did, but I was lucky to work at a place where there was acres of woods nearby.

laudesan
02-11-2013, 06:56 PM
JJ, I anxious to see what a mountain bike looks like in Australia since I've seen what you all use for shopping carts.:) :lol:

(((((GEOFF))))) Cute kitty photo.

That's some snow storm Char. Hope Ted worked out the gang plank ok. I am sure he did, he can do anything.. :) That kangaroo would have had to be shackled, or he would have used his legs to rip open someones belly. :(

Darla :crossfingers: you remain flu free. Yes I will buy a helmet. I pick the bike up tomorrow. :)

:wave: Doris, Lynn.

Uschi 25 gears. Yes, I can buy road tyres for 30$ each. I may do that, we will see. Using the offroad tyres will make me fitter. :D

Kay, I didn't pay that price. I got the bike for $479.00 which makes me a happy bunny. I love a bargain :D

Betty, you are milling grain while you watch TV?

(((((JUDY)))))

Lulu
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I love a bargain :D

Reminds me of my sister who, after a day out shopping, announced to her husband that 'she had saved him $350 today'. :lol::lol:

(((Judy)))

JudyL
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm back, not much done here, just got word that #1 son Jim and wife, Amy are flying out for the memorial, it will be good to see them, Amy has not seen the house, and I am going to be busy clearing up and out. Not sure about #2 son, but he will come if his car will hold up.
I have decided that since I am now the last one, I had better get some facts written down, for the next generation. That should keep me busy.

Anyway mustache

TTFN