PDA

View Full Version : Repairing the track and checking the gauge

rossmarie
02-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi - you could probably say this really is WIP - on the railway.

This is 14x11 in. on Bockingford paper.

The scene is of volunteers working on a restored line here in England. Imagine a steam engine coming up the track....lovely! Probably years ago there would have been double track but one has long since gone.

Mike :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2013/1111482-new10639.JPG

crafor
02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
wow! I really like this.
A couple of thoughts. Seems to me the ties in the foreground would be dimensional, that we could see the top and side of at least the first two or three, and I'd think there would be a little more color variation on the bridge support walls. That man in the middle must be really tall! Isn't the "bendy place" about half the heighth?
However, this is really nice. The grass, the trees, the sky, the gravel, the men, wonderful!
Ella

rossmarie
02-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Fair comment, Ella,about the sleepers. Should have given a bit more three dimensional detail close-up. The bridge actually has more variation in colour than you think - not helped by under-exposed photo. And re "lofty" - I think his proportions are OK but I have made him rather too tall in the painting. He must be about 6ft. 10in......within the realms of possibility, but unlikely!

Mike

Bevahlee
02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
ella has a better eye and I. lol. Didn't notice how tall the guy in the middle is, but yeah, he's a biggun or the guy on his left is a little un.
My only nit would be the contrast of the white gravel with the dark green grass on the left. Might have a bit of shadow or darker gravel there just so my eye isn't pulled thataway, but this is a very nice piece. I especially like the hill and trees and grasses on the right.

rossmarie
02-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Beverley. You are right about the contrast between the grass and gravel - too much. In fact, the more I look at this painting the less I like it.
Can't quite put my finger on it but I think Iv'e been a bit heavy-handed with the colours and I feel the bridge is too prominent. Also, a closer up view of the men might have been a good idea....but then I would have had to be even more convincing in painting them! I like railways but painting them presents problems - you have to be pretty accurate drawing and painting railway track or it looks all wrong. But in being "careful" you tend to tighten up and I think it shows in the painting - a bit stiff and not loose enough.

Ah well...there's always another time...

Mike:wave:

levanty
02-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Hi - you could probably say this really is WIP - on the railway.

This is 14x11 in. on Bockingford paper.

The scene is of volunteers working on a restored line here in England. Imagine a steam engine coming up the track....lovely! Probably years ago there would have been double track but one has long since gone.

Mike :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2013/1111482-new10639.JPG

Hi Mike, considering the small scale you have done a tremendous job! I am especially impressed by the detail in the worker's vests. I would like to see some realistic skyscape though, your clouds are lacking for a realistic view. What kind of weather are you experiencing? And the leaves on the trees need more work. I do appreciate the fact that this is a very small scale to worth with and your brush strokes are limited. Have Fun!

rossmarie
02-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Hi Yvie - yes, not one of my best. Thinking about it I reckon I've "fallen between two stools". To my eyes I should have made the workers much larger in the picture. They are the COI. Instead, I have given far too much weight and emphasis to the bridge, the embankments and that large tree - all of which compete. If I had had the courage to paint the men large scale (which would have been difficult!) I think I could have been far more economical with painting the rest - just an indication but no detail.

Mike:wave:

maryinasia
02-10-2013, 06:01 AM
This is looking good. There's something epic about railways, and arranging the painting the way you have alludes to that.

It might be simple to shorten the tall guy just by making back/top of his vest less puffy, esp on our right.

maybe a few blue/purple washes to make the back recede?

Trumper
02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Could you not add more equipment in the foreground-shovels,buckets,piles of ballast more undergrowth.

rossmarie
02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks maryinasia and Trumper. Yes - I could change/add things but I think I'm done with this one. It doesn't really work - as I said to Yvie, I think I should have concentrated on the men, larger scale, and made the rest background and not so "heavy". Funny how when you are concentrating on painting you don't always see how it is going down the wrong track....if you'll excuse the pun.....

Mike

levanty
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks maryinasia and Trumper. Yes - I could change/add things but I think I'm done with this one. It doesn't really work - as I said to Yvie, I think I should have concentrated on the men, larger scale, and made the rest background and not so "heavy". Funny how when you are concentrating on painting you don't always see how it is going down the wrong track....if you'll excuse the pun.....

Mike

Good one Mike! Don't give up though as it is really worth finishing. I can just picture you backing up from it as you consider what to do next. I never really understood why painters would raise their thumb up in front of the painting and stretch out their arm as they close one eye. It's almost like they wanted to see it in other way..your thoughts?

rossmarie
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Well, Yvie - I'm fairly persistent but I really don't feel this one is going to be improved by any more work on it. That doesn't mean I will not do another version...I probably will. No, I'm not a "close one eye and thumb up in front of painting" merchant. At my age, I need both less-than-perfect eyes open all the time!

Mike

NiModo
02-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Well, everybody has jumped on your painting, which I think is good. But I noticed as soon as I first saw it that the northbound train is going to crash into the left side of the bridge, as the tracks are not centered.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2013/227558-train.jpg

rossmarie
02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi NiModo - the track is not centred because there used to be a second track (long-since taken up) on the right hand side. The old track, sleepers and ballast have gone and part of the old line has grassed over.

Mike