PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait - Hilary

HilaryTwilary
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I started this painting yesterday and added a second layer today--about 8 hours in total so far. I was just looking in a mirror and going with what I saw. My family says they can definitely see me in it, which is great, because I'm really focusing on likeness right now. Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2013/1184772-hilportraitWC.jpg

Andrewcody
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Hilary I think you have produced a very successful portrait in 8 hours. Good strong features. My only suggestion at the moment would be to look at the Sternocleidomastoid muscle which should extend up behind the jaw to the skull behind the ear.
Regards
Andrew

HilaryTwilary
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks Andrew, I didn't catch that! Will give it some attention tomorrow.

Round
02-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi Hilary
Love the way you've captured the light on yourself. Like your pallette too.

Just wondering whether your forehead/top of your head should be a little higher, in proportion with the rest of your face, but I could be wrong.

I'm envious of what you've achieved in 8 hours. I've been working on a self portrait for many, many months and still have a 'load' of painting to do!!

Well done!
Cheers
Round

HilaryTwilary
02-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Round! I've been trying hard to work way more quickly than feels natural to me, when I lay down the first layer, because I tend to overpaint and muddy up my mixes when I take my time. When I look at this again tomorrow, I'll remeasure the top of my head and see if it needs adjusting. I still have the hair to do, so it should expand a bit on all sides.

HilaryTwilary
02-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Okay, I've finished it I think. Here's the final version. I tried to get a photo of me in the same light for comparison, but my camera would not take a photo that wasn't blurry without the flash.

Thanks for looking!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2013/1184772-Hilportrait.gif

maryinasia
02-10-2013, 06:26 AM
beautiful. love the light and the eyes

Trumper
02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
:) Don't need a photo for comparison the painting is good,:clap:

HilaryTwilary
02-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much!