PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Still Life

ginatec
09-07-2003, 03:37 AM
This is my first posting in this forum...I thought it more apt here than in still ife.
This painting is oil on canvas. Sixe 56 x 46 cm. I have use a Collage technique and also done some splatter work. It's very different from my usual style but was so much fun to do.
Thank you for looking...look forward to hearing your comments.
Gina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2003/14534-modstill.JPG

VieSaintSo
09-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Gina,
I specially like your background, the mixture of colors and collage is well done!

heh
09-07-2003, 11:43 AM
nice brights being not too bright

Tamana
09-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Nice to have you. Ahhhhh collage: my fav. :)

This is well done. Love how you've carried the palette throughout the composition. Those reds/yellows: :D

ginatec
09-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks VieSaintSo, Heh, and Tamana for your kind words.

Do you think the cup which is not symetrical detracts from the composition or would you leave it?

Gina

Tamana
09-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi Gina. I'm not so sure it's the actual cup, but the shadow under the cup contributing. I like the way the blue rimmed areas, i.e. the handle and the saucer pull the blue of bottle left (viewers) and square right inward. The tiny floral design pulls that left red in, thus alleviating the heaviness of the left and creating some balance. There is something niggling about it, but I think it may be the shadow, maybe even the color of it. Perhaps a bit darker to match the other shadows and a bit thinner surrounding the cup, as it is the saucer.

Or, you could just round the bottom of the cup a bit and see what happens.

VieSaintSo
09-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Gina,
I kind of like that the cup is not symitrical....;)
first it disturb me a bit.....then i liked it.
But you might try what Tam suggested, it could turn out really well... different
Its your painting, go with your feeling!

ginatec
09-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your replies...yes the cup does niggle and make you look twice. I will have a play about maybe I over did the lop sided effect. Just had another look and am certain that a saucer would not cast that shadow...so I will work on that next.

Gina