PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off sketches

cuttlefish
06-22-2001, 04:43 PM
i've drawn in graphite on an acrylic painting, and now I want it off. All I've tried so far has failed: erasing, simple green, olive oil, mineral spirits. Does anyone know of a solvent that will remove graphite without damaging the paint?

carly
06-24-2001, 11:50 PM
but I've never used graphite over an acrylic. I do know that rubbing alcohol will dissolve acrylic paint....you might try that and then touch up the paint afterwards. This is a good question!
carly

Einion
07-06-2001, 10:19 PM
I donít think a solvent is your best route here as graphite has no binder to speak of, itís just its very fine particle size that means it gets into the microscopic nooks and crannies of a surface making it almost impossible to remove if you have rubbed it in at all which sounds like the case here!

As a last resort you could try a kneadable eraser, they are intended for lifting rather than rubbing off and you just dab, dab, dab to lift off graphite or charcoal. Itís not 100% effective even on unrubbed drawings but it might take enough of it off to make the drawing unnoticeable. I donít have mine any more but I believe that Silly Putty can be used in a very similar way if you have any lying around!