PDA

View Full Version : lighthouse seascape

philbe123
02-04-2013, 06:05 PM
okay. tried a new way of posting, seeing as i'm having issues posting using the form that you have to fill in.

this is 45 x 54 cm, oil on canvas. it took me roughly 8 hours to complete and it is my first seascape.

just looking for general feedback. any improvements or consideration when painting a seascape.

rossmarie
02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Dramatic! A super painting. I like how bold you have been with your lights and darks. The waves surging up the cliff showing white against dark look really good as does the beautifully painted headland in dappled shadow catching the light. I love it.

Mike :thumbsup: :clap:

Golfgal58
02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Being new to painting, I don't feel qualified to give a critique, but I can say that I love the way you painted the ocean. The waves have so much movement.

mr.gee
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
great job with the darks,lights and movement. Very nice first seascape.

AllanFink1960
02-21-2013, 06:05 AM
You have a lot going right in this painting.
I like the sky and the cliff.
You may want to pick a stronger "armature" for the lines of the composition. You sort of have a Z going here, but you could make that more apparent.
You also have more than one point of interest - the light house and the white of the crashing wave. I would pick one and tone down the other. Emphasizing one would also help with the vague armature thing.

Your sky has what is called "intermittent weather" but the sea looks like it is in a storm. You could play with the lighting a lot more, rather than having the lights evenly scattered across the image. If you bunch up the darks and make them darker you may like it better.

philbe123
02-21-2013, 08:15 AM
oh right, it was a challenging painting and although it's not fully accurate, i was being taught to make suggestions, i was never going to get the trues colours right in this painting. it was done from a photograph.

arnieb
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes a super painting.:thumbsup: Very realistic, lost of movement and emotion. Intersting composition - the eye is drawn to lighthouse and the movement of the waves points to COI. Arnie

~JMW~
02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Nice painting.:clap:
No need to make it exactly like a photo anyway, adding your own style to it is great.

philbe123
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
thanks, yeah, i have a bit of an obsession with realism at the moment. up close you can see all the brushstrokes, but take a few steps back and they disappear. so more along the lines of Rembrandt.

rossmarie
02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
thanks, yeah, i have a bit of an obsession with realism at the moment. up close you can see all the brushstrokes, but take a few steps back and they disappear. so more along the lines of Rembrandt.

Philbe -you can paint realism but in a painterly way as you have done
very well indeed. As I have found to my cost, trying to paint "photographically" just does not work . You lose all sense of freedom in your brush strokes which is so essential. It's taken me a long time to realise this and loosen up!

Mike

Bevahlee
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
emotion, power, splash, yeah. Nice one

NickBos
02-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Amazing painting. Really like the dark atmosphere and choice of colours!

I do agree with Allan Finck about that you have 2 points of interest, however, that said, I think it's really well done!

eyecandy2
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Very dramatic and nice work. Good composition and good placement of the center of interest. You certainly don't have to reproduce the photo. You have set a more interesting mood.

Revilo
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Not too shabby! Don't over-analyze it. Great use of color. Kudos!

helmuc
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
excellent and emotional painting.

Helmuts

Cypress11
03-23-2013, 08:08 PM
hopefully you will leave it exactly how it is. the set up is at its best.

philbe123
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
i shall be leaving it as it is.

homegrownrose
03-24-2013, 04:43 PM
The is incredibly lovely. I enjoy the action you can sense in the foreground of the waves. The colors you put into the shadows of the water really hilight the depth and agitation of the waves. My only critique would be to sharpen the edges on the lighthouse and just a bit on the surounding cliffs, as that will draw the eye directly to it and give a bit of added focus to the painting. This is an incredible work and you should be very proud.

amanda
03-25-2013, 02:16 AM
Amazing, dramatic seascape!