PDA

View Full Version : help with background!!!

pixydust370
09-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Here is a painting I am doing of my sister in acrylics. I have only just started the painting and realize that i dont know what i am going to do with the background. I've outline her shoulders but in the original photo the background is uninteresting. I am looking for a fun, untacky idea to use for the background. Thank you for your help!

DiGi
09-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Pixi.....From the looks of your composition, there doesn't seem to be much background showing. Choose a complimentary color to the clothing she is wearing and go with a rough fade or something.
Maybe it's the angle of the photo but I don't really see ANY background if that's her hair you have sketched in!
Wash in her hair and clothes or just wash in the background then re-post the painting.

DG

ginatec
09-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Pixi.
A good way of dealing with a background is to keep it an approximate shade to what it is, then add a few touches of the forground colors here and there...softly blended. It makes the background more interesting, harmonius and believable.

Gina

pixydust370
09-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your advice...The reason the background hasn't shown up on the image is because i havent even sketched one in yet. The original background is the interiors of a car and i really don't think that would look right no matter how i painted it. I'm still not sure what im going to do!

ginatec
09-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Hi
If you squint your eyes when looking at the photograph of the interior of the car it will be blurred and you will only notice the tones and rough shapes. That should help!

Gina

pixydust370
09-09-2003, 05:00 AM
That is very good advice... I think i might evd up following your advice Gina and blurring the background. No one will be able to tell what the background is exactly. Thanks a lot