PDA

View Full Version : Farm scene

NeilF92
02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Something different from me . A farm scene for a friend of mine in the Scottish borders .
Still a Work in Progress but coming together after a bit of wandering!
24" x 20" Acrylic on canvas .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2013/95311-wholepic.jpg

ttomas
02-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Very nice. I like it, because I can see a story there.

Tomas

Gray539
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
This ones coming along just great, Neil.

faminz
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Initially I thought it was a Robert Taylor, its that good!

NeilF92
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks Faminz
It owes a lot to my friend who commissioned it and was lucky enough to take a photograph of the present day location when the clouds formed this natural dramatic setting . All I had to do was convert a potato field into a haymaking scene and add some planes .
Initially we thought on having a more action packed scene with the aircraft banking as they came past so I built two models , Anson and Hurricane in Blender 3 D software . I also made some blocky horse /cart and human models to help visualise things .
Eventually we settled on a more prosaic , workaday formation which captured what was in my friends mind more faithfully .
It's been great fun - perhaps the Blender models were an unecessary , time consuming diversion but we are here now . The painting is heading towards a satisfactory conclusion . And we have virtual Anson and Hurricane models to play with in the future.
The 3D models did justify themselves in helping me set out the composition at realistic height and distances .

NeilF92
02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Pretty well done with this - still some tweaks to do but nothing that will show in an 800 pixel frame.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2013/95311-wholeagin.jpg

Bevahlee
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
i can smell the new mown hay. This is quite lovely. Good perspective and harmonious color

NeilF92
02-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks Beverly ,
Good to hear the colour harmony is there . I use a fairly limited pallette .
Cobalt Blue , Pthalo Blue , Vermillion , Burnt Umber , Yellow Ochre and Cad Yellow Deep plus Titanium White .
This seems to work well and is the usual mix I end up with . Sometimes I'll include a specific green but more often it's all made from the above.
The perspective was established by building 3D models in Blender software , setting them out at scale distances and shooting them with a virtual 3D 50mm lens camera .
It certainly brought about a quick understanding of what would work and what wouldn't