PDA

View Full Version : Tropical paradise

leisure artist
02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi...this painting is based on a photo and my memories of PRINCESS CAYS BAHAMAS...it is on a large canvas in oils....i would appreciate all cand c..ie what works and what needs improving...thanks in anticipation...christine

leisure artist
02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
sorry image will not upload:( will try again later

leisure artist
02-02-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2013/975459-SSCN1658.JPG

leisure artist
02-03-2013, 07:05 AM
have done more work on this ....toned down the sky,sea and beach as looked too saturated....should i do further work on the beach or anywhere else ....really need help with this:confused: ..christinehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2013/975459-SSCN1660.JPG

mackay333
02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I think the beach needs more work, and maybe a little more shading on the buildings if the photo indicates it is needed.

The sky looks fine to me, the sea and the trees are ok in my opinion. However the highlight on the trees make it look like the sun is coming from the right, while the shadows indicate the sun is coming from the left.

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Christine - this is only my opinion ....so you can take it with a pinch of salt....but I think your beach is too "yellow" . I feel it could be much lighter (more the colour just to the left of the two figures). The sun is blazing down and I imagine the beach looking much brighter. Then you could darken the palm tree trunks (on the side away from the light) and make them stand out against the sea. Also I would darken the shadows behind the huts.I like your dark blue horizon and sea. Hope this helps.

regards Mike

leisure artist
02-03-2013, 01:13 PM
mackay....many thanks for your critique...i have been working on this all day.....have taken note of your suggestions and re-worked the beach,and huts....will re-post when finished...Christine:)

leisure artist
02-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks Mike for your advice....i have toned down the beach...will work on the shadows and trees and re-post later...Christine:)

leisure artist
02-03-2013, 04:49 PM
How is this looking now?In danger of being overworked so im going to wait until dry....then do some fine tuning.....Christinehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2013/975459-SSCN1664.JPG

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
That's better Christine! Now those palm tree trunks stand out sharp against the sea and sand and the lighter beach is so much better. You can now sense the glare of the sun on the sand and the darker sharp shadows are also a great improvement. It also looks as if you have toned down the rather bright blue in the sky and darkened it a bit - I like that too. IMHO your painting now looks good and has so much more impact. Hope you agree!

regards

Mike

leisure artist
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
That's better Christine! Now those palm tree trunks stand out sharp against the sea and sand and the lighter beach is so much better. You can now sense the glare of the sun on the sand and the darker sharp shadows are also a great improvement. It also looks as if you have toned down the rather bright blue in the sky and darkened it a bit - I like that too. IMHO your painting now looks good and has so much more impact. Hope you agree!

regards

Mikeyes i am much happier with it....thanks for your help,,,christine:)

mr.gee
02-05-2013, 01:10 AM
very colorful painting. 2 things - shadows even left or right and the foreground on the left under the palm dont know what it is.

tstellma
02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I donīt like this round shore line. I would add more bumps in and out especially at the right.
As it is, the beach looks like going vertical upwards at the right.

eyecandy2
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I think that the sand is still too yellow. Add a little of the comlement to the yellow to gray it down a bit. I think that a bit of Mauve or any other purple will improve the color of the sand.

La_
02-08-2013, 03:45 AM
huge improvements and a great study
you must have other pics, do another, taken from the beach maybe, a different perspective, then another, each one is going to teach you more and more - compare each to the last.
fun stuff and great memories to work with

la

leisure artist
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
TThank you all for your comments...i am ready now to contiue with some "fine tuning" and will incorporate some of the ideas mentioned.The shoreline and beach do need further work.Thank you LA,good idea....will perhaps do further works but on smaller canvasses...will be good for practice and development....Christine:)

reverseengineering
02-17-2013, 04:33 PM
The second revision is pretty perfect. Those are big ole palm trees they have there, eh? :-)