PDA

View Full Version : Woman with Hat

frujin
02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Hello Guys,

I didn't do anything since the Autumn 2012. But recently had this urge. Pff.. So, this is colored pencils + pastels on paper. 20 x 32 cm. The woman was NOT supposed to be _that_ ugly :(

QUESTION: As I am trying to learn (well, sometimes I feel I will never learn :envy:). Please, point my mistakes, so I can focus on improving them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2013/1020452-jena2.jpg

laneart
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi Frujin,
May I make some suggestions?
Be conscious of the angle from your source of light. The off-side of her face is well-done, however the lips need to be seen in a 3/4 view, as opposed to the frontal view you have depicted. (Practice drawing the human face from different angles/views). The area from the nose, cheek bones and eye closest to the viewer is flat. Even though the light is more prevalent in those areas, the facial features are nearly non-existent, The inside of the eye away from the light source needs to be darker. More shading of the cheek along side the nose would offer some definition. I like the high-light from the brow to outer eye and cheek bone, however.
The jaw appears a bit too long going back to the ear concealed by her hair and the hat. You might shorten and define it a little with more shadow.
I like your treatment of the scarf a lot.
Over-all it is a nice piece and the adjustments are minor, really. But practice facial drawing, too and do not get discouraged.
Good luck to you.

GardenMaven
02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
When I cover the side of her mouth on our left, she looks lovely. I think the lips from the center to the side of her face needs to be shortened. Sandi

she1122
02-03-2013, 04:36 AM
You have gotten wonderful critiques. If I may add, I have noticed with people that there is often much less of their upper lip than I expect. The lower lip often protrudes a bit ,but the upper lip is usually a bit less . Also lips thin towards the sides . At first I would draw mouths with too much lip and I had to learn to do much less ! It was a big lesson. Generally a mouth ends at the same point as the pupil of the eye if you draw a line from the pupil to the mouth. A face changes hugely from just little millimeter changes. You have it with her. The tweaks will give you the lovely woman.

frujin
02-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Thank you all very much for the feedback and advices! I tried to do some changes. I feel more work is needed. Any suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2013/1020452-jena3_800.jpg

GardenMaven
02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
A great improvement! I do miss the squiggles in the lace, though. Sandi

ShaunGa
02-11-2013, 01:06 AM
To me the first picture looked like a master works except for the mouth. In the second picture, the mouth is fixed, but you have lost the almost impressionistic feel to it.

Shaun

reverseengineering
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Beautiful colors and I like that you re-did her lips. They were a bit ducky the first time!

rossmarie
02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Well done Frujin - I think she looks great! I had a go at a watercolour version of your picture of a man sitting on some steps reading a newspaper. But this lady would defeat me ...not even going to attempt it.

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AllisonR
02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I think if you look at this as a learning piece, then you should be VERY happy with it. You had a free, refreshing first image. Wonderful squiggly strokes and hints of shape. Then you went and fixed the perspective of the lips and nose and made a painting with the correct highlights and shadows. And yes, it lost it's "life." But I want to point out that when many people here try to fix, they take cautious, tiny steps. You went all out; you really tried to learn something. And I bet you did. You are serious, and fast. Don't worry about this painting as a painting. Be happy with what you learned. In your next painting you can combine what you "should" do with proportions and lighting, with what you "want" to do - what makes your style refreshing.

I recently painted a rather refreshing first oil painting. Then the next paining I tried to do all that I "should" do. It was technically right, but it was a hideous painting. But I learned a ton, and I can laugh at it now.