PDA

View Full Version : Old Gaffer in the Solent

rossmarie
02-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello everyone - every year, the Yarmouth Old Gaffers Festival takes place in early summer. Scores of old gaff-rigged vessels race in the Solent (the stretch of water between the south coast of England and the Isle of Wight).
It's a wonderful sight.

Thought I'd have a go at painting one. Again I cannot upload on open critique so here it is. 14x11 in on 140lb Bockingford Rough paper

Mike:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2013/1111482-new21620.JPG

Trumper
02-02-2013, 09:21 AM
:clap: Lovely - - now leave it alone.

leisure artist
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Love your sky...altogether simple but effective....very nice ..Christine:)

rossmarie
02-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks Trumper......good advice.....I think I will.

Mike

rossmarie
02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Thank you Christine - I like the sky, too, but I nearly "overcooked " the water and just about stopped fiddling in time! Water, unless absolutely flat calm, is a bit tricky and I need to spend some time practising how to do it well when there are a few waves.

Mike

Round
02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Hi Mike

Great little study!

I think you've captured the choppiness and depth of water really well, particularly with your use of deeper tones in the foreground (probably what you've referred to as 'nearly overcooked'). Very lively.

The blood orange sails are a great contrast!

Cheers
Round

Debzy
02-03-2013, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't change a thing Mike! I think this is simply brilliant. =)) Cheers Debs. X

D.W. Flint
02-03-2013, 12:41 PM
This is really good. Wish I could have been there....

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you Darrell and Debzy. This 'Old Gaffer' was going to start another watercolour this evening but as he is due on the 1st tee at Burley Golf Club at 9.00 am tomorrow morning he thinks he will conserve his concentration and energy for that!

Mike

Hoosier Fred
02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I particularly like the glints of sunlight on the waves. Are those done by voids in the brushwork or by coming back later with a razor and scraping the paper?

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I particularly like the glints of sunlight on the waves. Are those done by voids in the brushwork or by coming back later with a razor and scraping the paper?
Larry - thank you. In answer to your question - a bit of both. I am not a fan of scraping the paper-it may look O.K when photographed but you can tell someone's been digging when you see it for real. Much better,IMHO, use a dry brush but it is difficult sometimes to get the water content and mix right in the brush especially doing small waves. If you want to leave gaps on a large area, it is much easier- particularly using a rough paper....just whip the brush across at speed...and hey presto! Mike.

Journeyman
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
The painting is great Mike you donít need to change a thing but you do need to change the title, this is a sprit rig not a gaff rig. You have painted it accurately and I can see the vangs and the heads of the main and mizen sagging between the sprits. Sprit rig is allowed to take part in old gaffer events.

:wave: Dave

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 07:06 PM
The painting is great Mike you donít need to change a thing but you do need to change the title, this is a sprit rig not a gaff rig. You have painted it accurately and I can see the vangs and the heads of the main and mizen sagging between the sprits. Sprit rig is allowed to take part in old gaffer events.

Thanks Dave for pointing out my mistake. Think I understand .....the gaff rig has the sail head held up by a gaff pole whereas the sprit rig has a spar (or "sprit") that supports the leech of the sail (often without a boom - as in the old Norfolk Wherries). Have I got it right? .

Glad you like the painting and don't want me to alter it.....it will be much easier to alter the title!! Mike.

Journeyman
02-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Hi Mike, yes you have got the idea, Iím just off to life drawing now but this evening Iíll PM you some more info . :wave: Dave

mr.gee
02-05-2013, 01:32 AM
bold but yet delicate

rossmarie
02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks Round and Mr.gee for your positive comments - not a day for being out on the water here - it's snowing!

Mike:wave:

Coen1
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Wonderful painting, rossmarie. You used the paint as it was intended (I wanted to write volatile, but I'm not sure it says what I intend to say - I'm Dutch), I think. You certainly know how to handle your brushes.
The reflection of the boat on the water could be a bit lighter, in my opinion, but on the whole, a great work.

tstellma
02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
It is a fine painting.

Something is bothering me, it is the distant gaffer looking like a dagger or horn. I think it has too much emphasis. Maybe you can downplay it or change its shape?

rossmarie
02-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Thank you Coen 1. I agree the nearest boat shadow may be a little too dark - could have done with a little more red in it.

Tstellma - thank you . I agree with you - the further boat is a little too prominent.

Mike

Andrewcody
02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Great sail configuration. There are still modern boats with gaff rigged sails about, so easy to manage.
The boats must be in a lee spot as the boat in the distance really appear to be running with the wind, nice work though I think the waves and sea should be following.
Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
02-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Thanks Andrew. Dave, on watercolour gallery, has also pointed out that this is not actually a gaff rigger but a sprit sail set-up. He says these boats are also allowed to compete in the "Old Gaffers" races in the Solent. Not being an expert on sails I didn't know but in my picture the sail is supported by a diagonal spar or "sprit" whereas the true gaff rig has a gaff pole at the head of the sail to support it. Regards, Mike

eyecandy2
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I can't say anything more than what has already been said. Lovely painting.

Andrewcody
02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Mike, simple sail configuration, a Gaff rig sail has 4 corners.
I think yours are correct. It doesn't refer to the boat build at all really.
But I could be mistaken on that
I wish I was on that boat now rather than here sitting in the office relying on my unreliable memory to take me elsewhere :)
Andrew

Journeyman
02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Hi Andrew, One thing I do now about is boats, Iíve built and sailed them most of my life.
The boat in the foreground of Mikes painting is a Spritsail Barge to wit a Thames Sailing Barge and they are Sprit Rigged not Gaffe Rigged. I sail a gaff cutter and also own a sprit rigged boat and often take part in old gaffer events, we have won many of the races, this year we where awarded the Old Gaffers Globe trophy at the London boat show for one passage.

I did sent Mike some info in a PM, he hasnít replied to the PM so Iím not sure if he received it, Iíll include two of the photos here that explain the difference between the two rigs.

This is a photo taken during a Barge Match and is the same type of boat that Mike painted, you can clearly see the sprits on both the Mizen and Main and how they hold up the Peak, the nearer boat has rucked the topsail to relieve pressure during the squall, and will reset it as soon as it moderates.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2013/95424-Spritsail_Barge.jpg

And this is a photo of a Gaff Cutter, you can see the Gaff along the head of the sail and how the Gaff Jaws fit around the mast. The head of the sail is laced to the gaff rather than set flying as with a sprit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2013/95424-Gaff_Cutter.jpg

rossmarie
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
hi Dave - sorry about rather misspelt reply to your message but away from home today and trying to use my wife's I-pad....not used to it. Thanks again for all your info and lovely photos. I'm sure it was the Edith May I painted. Will check when I get home. Perhaps I will see you sailing in the Solent later in the spring. Also saw your reply to Andrew Cody.

Best wishes and good sailing

MIKE

Andrewcody
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Well done Dave