PDA

View Full Version : 1st Oil Pastel Piece: Freddie King

Adam Huffer
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
so i just got into Oil Pastels last week. never tried them before so they initially seemed like creamy crayons and were at first frustrating to work with. anyways..I am a blues musician and decided to replicate an image of my biggest inspiration/ favorite singer/guitar player: Freddie King!!

SammyH
02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Adam, if this is your first oil pastel piece, I can't wait to see the the tenth and twentieth, etc. You handled them very well expressing a lot of soul and emotion. Listen, I can hear the music. I love how you did Freddie's face. The shoulder on the right (our right) may be a little broad compared to the other one but that doesn't diminish this colorful piece. Keep using those OP - you'll learn to love them.
What size is it and what brand of oil pastels did you use on what support or paper?

mollerman
02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
You really captured the Texas Flyer, Freddie King, larger than life, very well!!! One of my faves as well.

Adam Huffer
02-01-2013, 07:56 PM
thank yall for the kind comments! 10" X 13" with some old studio basics pastels that seem pretty cheap compared to the pentel oil pastels i just bought for my 2nd piece; its on heavyweight drawing paper (70lb). glad to hear im not the only one that appreciates his music ;)

roy-p
02-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Very nice... striking application of color and bold shapes. I feel like there's music coming off the screen :)

Pat Isaac
02-02-2013, 09:15 AM
What a wonderful painting, so full of life. I also like the color choices.

Pat

Flycatcher10
02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't get discouraged by oil pastels, be sure to work with artist quality for their softer/smoother qualities than student quality.

Congrats on your painting - great use of color and facial expression. Fantastic work on generating a high energy piece.

Yannse
02-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I like the passion in your painting! I am looking foreword more of your painting! Thanks for your share!

mirizar
02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Excellent work!!!

Adam Huffer
02-02-2013, 09:58 PM
you are all great artists just took sometime to look at everyones work and I am honestly blown away! and I heard about student grade oil pastels but didn't realize that was what I was using... what are some good pastels that I should be using? and do yall have any tips on how to do fine lines?? I'm working on my second piece and its got soo much detail its taking foreverrr;/

Mikenoss
02-03-2013, 06:49 AM
You did great justice to a Blues Great. Love it. Can't help you much with brand names as I am using Monte Mart (in Australia) & I understand that they are classified as student grade but many fine artists here will guide you I'm sure. Again, great job.

Frostie
02-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Adam,
Great painting. Love the bold colours.
Helen