PDA

View Full Version : **Daily Wash Friday 1st February 2013**

shipbroker
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Morning all

Been awake for hoyrs with sore throat waiting foe someone to Wash start!

Now in blue ears territory

geoff

Lulu
02-01-2013, 12:19 AM
No blue ears Geoff, I just thought you needed another Kewpie :D

Another fab day here in Kiwiland, and have been organising our accomodation for our July trip to the Cook Islands - our own private beach sounds very inviting!

Just now getting dinner and then will skype desert-land :wave:

JudyL
02-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Hello again :wave:
Thanks for your kind words. Sister Margaret will be cremated and we will go up to Gridley, later in February, to put her near our parents. she had suffered with breast cancer for so long, 6 (almost) years on Chemo, and took it all like a trooper. Jack and I both cried, when we talked to her on the phone. And then we had to go to the hospital for Jack's chemo treatment. I seem to be surrounded by cancer, brother Bob, Margaret and Jack, although his is responding a bit.

Kids over today, after school, Spencer comes in from wrestling practice famished, I follow him around aiming him to the healthy options, and not enough to spoil his dinner.

Son-in-law who would not get the flu shot, because he always gets the flu when he gets one, has the flu.

Doris345
02-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Good morning washers,

Lulu, I am glad you are having such a fabulous day - can we please have some of that weather? Heavy winds forecasted to continue through Friday and Sat.

Geoff, I hate hearing about your sore throat. I guess you have gotten run-down from all the stress lately, so I hope things start to quiet down for you and your health - and sleep patterns - improve.

Judy, I hope you can take some consolation knowing your sister is not suffering any more. One of my brothers is also flu-ed if he does and flu-ed if he doesn't. Some days you just can't win.

Henry, Kay, Darla - I live in the Chelsea section of Manhattan (NYC). This terrace faces South with an amazing view of the new Freedom Tower where the World Trade Center used to be. I am on the top floor. I also have a view to the East and the Empire State Building 5 blocks away, and a view to the West and the Hudson River.

No big plans for Friday - a doctor appointment, some marketing, and dinner with friends. Nice and low key - just how I like it.

Have a good day everyone.
Doris

Yorky
02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Good morning all, dry at the moment after some overnight rain, 4C. Haven't noticed any leaks. Roofers will be back soon.

I have just posted the February challenge (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19455876), hope you like it.

You must have a tremendous view Doris, can you put some photos in the RIL?

(((Judy and Jack))) (((Geoff and Eileen)))

Sounds like an exciting trip Lulu, bring back photos!

Doug

doppler
02-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Oh heck. :heart: HUGS all around. Not rain but pouring.

Today was surreal to me. Ferried a friend down for a doctors appointment. Seem to be doing that a lot. She still doesn't have power.

Went down the road to Samford. No problems. Coming up they had blocked the Mt Nebo branch of the road. Car there but no humans unless, they were rolling in the debris. having dumped one freezer load I did not want to dump the paltry replacements. Rogers ice cream ... man food was already defrosting. So I drove around the barrier followed closely by another local ... or an unmarked police car. Oh naughty me. The road was only closed to disaster tourists. The tree shredding company were near the dump. Driving slowly and keeping eyes peeled. No problem. We do appreciate in fact applaud the work the guys do.

No other excitement (meant in a tongue in cheek position) except for Loki treeing her first goanna :eek:

I'll smack her later .... After food and hugs. Bo will get his own unwanted attention later.

Lulu
02-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Sounds like an exciting trip Lulu, bring back photos!

I sure will Doug, there may even be other people you know in the pics.....I couldn't get him to do the haka but I may just get pics of him doing the hula.........:wink2:

But first we will go to desert-land - 74 sleeps:clap:

Doris, a low-key Friday sounds good to me too.

Hi Annie, a goanna???:eek:

Hi Judy, I often light a candle for Jack.

Roun2it
02-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Mornin' each .......... :wave:

I'm a terrible net buddy at the moment, I pop in then I'm off for a week or two, unfortunately that's the way I am at the moment so hope you are willing to forgive me ..........

Talking holidays, I've just paid for our rearranged holiday to the Maldives in April, I'm still a little worried about the distance to travel, but hey not as far as the Cook Islands eh? .............. :lol: :wink2: April is just at the end of the nice weather in the Maldives so I'm hoping that the world change in climates doesn't affect the weather the wrong way. The first time we went to the Maldives for 11 days it rained for 10 of them and the day it didn't rain was the day we travelled home ........

It's nice and sunny now, the winds have died down and we are in a settled spell for a couple of days. I've got a couple of paintings on the go but I'm off out tomorrow with camera in hand to take some new pics for references.

Hope all are well and to those feeling down I hope you soon find recovery.

laudesan
02-01-2013, 05:07 AM
:grouphug:

doppler
02-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Goanna Lulu. Big lizard. Stupid cat ... Oh no... What ?? Whose claws are bigger than the others?

Ego doesnt work but discretion does. All the family are inside fed and asleep. Me so nearly it doesn't matter

:wave:

Lulu
02-01-2013, 05:35 AM
but hey not as far as the Cook Islands eh? .............. :lol: :wink2: .

I can smell the frangipani already........:D

Wave to us as you fly over Abu Dhabi in April :wave:

Annie, the only things our moggies are chasing at the moment are white butterflies - I wish they could catch them! lol

Yorky
02-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Good to see you Kev, have a great holiday.

Sun is out and the roofers are tiling, hope the weather holds :crossfingers:

Delivered Ruth's scooter to the garage in Eccleston to get the new hoist fitted to the new car. Should get it back this afternoon. New car looks swish! We take delivery on Wednesday.

Doug

Scene Chaser
02-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Good Day All,
Had a nice quiet and windless night. A good sleep.

It is cold, though, at 19 C, 16 F. We are expecting snow showers today.

I'll stay tucked in the house.

Bill

shipbroker
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Morning all.....

Progress in sorting Mothers goods out, old clothes gone for recycling,new ones packed ready for charity shop,books sorted along with Eileens masses of paperbacks they will go to the pub for village hall funds or charity shop.
No surprises,good or bad!

Beautiful Spring day here,primroses and snowdrops coming through along with winter heathers....

Nice to see you back Kev...

geoff

olliewood0702
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Good Morning(afternoon/evening) all!

It was a little slick driving into work this morning. The temps are only 18F:eek: and it snowed a little during the night; just enough to make the roads slippery. We are expecting more flurries today and the sky is a pale paynes gray; we do have a brisk breeze so the wind chills are expected to be below zero. More of the same for the weekend.

Both Larry and I were tired this morning and didn't want to crawl out of bed. We said we were glad it's Friday but he has to work again tomorrow.

During the dry winters my hands crack and bleed. They've done this since I was a little girl and nothing we've ever tried helps. I handle paper all day long too and that doesn't help. I buy expensive lotions and try to keep it on; reapplying several times a day. I get tiny cracks next to my thumbnails and they will heal up and the minute I bump against anything they will split open again.:rolleyes: UGH...hurry up Spring!

I don't know if I'll see the girls this weekend or not; hoping to. I've seen the two older ones but haven't seen Klaira since a week ago Sunday!:confused: I'm having Nana hug withdrawals.

I want to paint this weekend and catch up on my laundry other than that not much planned. Well besides going grocery shopping at some point.

Sylvia, Larry's Mom was a chef and she made the most delicious French Onion Soup. People would come from all over to eat her soup. The restaurant that she worked at was always busy and she was a good cook. She never wrote down her recipe for anyone...so alas it died with her.:o And she died way too young just after retiring at 61 of cancer.

(((GEOFF))) I hope your sore throat doesn't get any worse and that you feel better soon; I bet you got it from being so stressed lately; lowered immunities.

Doris, yes some pics of your marvelous views please!

Annie, such a waste of food hey? I'm just glad that horrible experience is behind you. A goanna? THey do have long claws don't they?

(((JUDY))) you have been through it lately; glad you have the grands for comfort.

Bill, I'm glad you got some good sleep.

Doug, a new car? Good for you!

LuLu, whoohoo....vacations coming up for you.

Kev, nice to hear from you; and a great vacation being planned for you too!:thumbsup:

JJ:grouphug: You are quiet today.

I hope everyone enjoys their day and makes the best of whatever it may bring.

G'DAY:wave: :heart:

Uschi
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Yesterday's weather was crazy. Snowing like mad during bright sunshine, several times over.

Today we have snow on the ground, not much but enough to brighten the place up. COLD.

Son and grands have my iPod hooked up so now it is time for me to familiarize myself with it (playing with new toy) and to buy Aps:rolleyes: :lol: Swore I would never get one of those, just shows you - never say never:lol:

I already have one complaint, the keyboard is so tiny that my fingers hit two keys instead of one. Bacl of pencil isn't working, any suggestions??

Kev, that is a looooong way to go for a vacation, must be worth it though since you have been there before. ENJOY!!

Geoff, glad everything is going so smoothly. I guess by the time we get to be that age we have gotten rid of the stuff we no longer need, and at that age we wouldn't need that much.

Doug, :crossfingers: that the weather stays good for the roofers and as to the challenge photo - if it is good for one group why not for the other:thumbsup: :)

Lulu, time is razing by, that is just over two months:clap:

Annie, good thing you were rebellious and did your own thing driving up the mountain!!

((((((Judy))))))))):thumbsup: :thumbsup: that Jack's chemo is finally working!!

:wave: to Doris, JJ and Bill!!!

Uschi

Yorky
02-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi folks! Weather is holding but clouds are moving in :crossfingers:
Doug, a new car? Good for you!
We lease a new one every 3 years Darla.

Hi Bill, stay warm.

Hi Geoff, hope your sore throat doesn't develop. I had one a couple of evenings ago but woke up OK.

Doug

CharM
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Good morning... the wind has finally died down and the sun is shining for now... the snow, even though it fell most of the day, didn't accumulate much. I think the ground's surface had warmed enough to melt it... it's cold now, though.

I have a friend dropping by to take advantage of my little air compressor. We'll be gallery wrapping some canvases for her to paint on. The stapler is so easy to use.

Of course, since I didn't bother to go out yesterday, I have to do it today. Procrastination is not without consequences... :)

:wave: All...

((Judy)) I'm glad that Jack is responding to his treatment... I'm sorry for so much sadness...

I hope that everyone enjoys a healthy flueless day filled with creativity! :heart:

shipbroker
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Uschi...............there are loads of very good free apps about too....most of the 80 or so on my iPod are free ones.

Sore throat no worse,fingers crossed.....

geoff

Strawberry Wine
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Good Day Washers - 14C with a winter blue sky. And the wind has calmed.

Geoff, I do hope your sore throat does not amount to anything but that. I just read recently that Zinc will boost your immune system much better than echineacea or Vit C . I fear we are 2 months away from primroses but perhaps crocus a bit sooner.

Bill, we are also expecting flurries over the next few days but no major storms are forecast. Just enough to keep everything clean and white.

Kev, I have to admit I had to Google to find out where the Maldives are located. That is a long flight.

:grouphug: Judy :grouphug:

Doug, lovely hibiscus photo

Annie, :eek: :D on the cat thinking he was going to scare the Goanna away from his territory

Uschi, have fun learning the capabilities of your i-pod. Hitting those tiny keys accurately is tricky at first.. Try using the tips of your fingers and type more slowly. soon your fingers will know exactly what to do ....

Darla, You are fortunate to be able to see your grands so often, I haven't seen the boys since the week after Christmas and they only live 6 minutes down the road. One or the other has been sick or they are off going here and there. We tend to see them more often in the warmer weather .

Speaking of Grands, I have just spoken to DIL Sarah and she is registering Devin for public school kindergarten this morning. :eek:

This mesage has taken me ages to complete because I was also baking scones so I have no doubt cross posted with a few of you .

So :wave: to all,

Cheers,

Gail

painterbear
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Good Morning all,
It is a bit after 9:00 a.m. on a bright, sunny, blue sky dotted with soft clouds morning here in Oakwood. Sounds good, eh....until you hear about the temperatures....–15°F/–20°C with the wind chill factored in. Even Larry has postponed his running until the afternoon (when temps will be around –5°F with the wind chill factored in). :rolleyes: He just came in from blowing the snow off the sidewalk and driveway because we are going to get more tomorrow and he didn't want it to get too deep.

Fiddling around the house today, playing with a painting.

Darla, Oooooh, I wish I had your MIL's recipe for the onion soup. My goal is to make one that tastes as good as the one we had at a restaurant in Quebec City when we visited there. That was the best I've ever tasted. Have you tried Keri or Gold Bond lotions, Darla. They are two of the best commercial ones I've found. Another one I've gotten on prescription by my doctor is Eucerin/Hydrocerin. It is really good. I gave some to my daughter Christine who also has to wash her hands frequently throughout the day and was complaining of dry skin. She loves it. You might ask your doctor about it.

Judy, I'm glad Jack is doing well with his treatment. Cancer is a horrible disease and chemotherapy isn't fun, but it is effective for many people. I'm a living example, hope Jack will be too.

Doug, What kind of new car will you be getting?

Geoff, Hope your throat gets better soon. All this stress and lack of sleep isn't helping much. :o

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

FLNH
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
75F and sunny...but I've been a little flat lately. Nothing much and it will pass. Finished one painting, which I posted but don't like much, but I am starting to sketch out another from my China photos.

As scary as severe weather is, the aftermath lasts much longer if there is damage. But it does get better. Years ago we lost our home in a hurricane, so I truly can empathize with JJ and Annie.

Dry,chapped hands can be a real problem. Moisturizers really are a matter of personal preference. Petrolatum ( Vaseline) under cotton gloves for sleep is cheap and helps some people. If the cracks in the hands are painful, a little dab of "Super Glue" can bring some immediate relief, provided you don't glue your fingers together. It's a secret remedy, so don't tell anyone else:)

Just made some quinoa pudding. I'll make roast chicken and collard greens for dinner.

(((((((Judy)))))))).

HAWLTAIN.

Yorky
02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Doug, What kind of new car will you be getting?
A Citroen C4 Picasso, same as we have now Sylvia but white with a black roof. Actually a slightly higher spec this year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2013/1046-C4Picasso.jpg

Big enough to carry Ruth's scooter in the boot with the seats up. Turbo diesel 1.6 litre. Our current one has done 48.5 mpg since we got it.

Doug

painterbear
02-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Snazzzzzzy! :thumbsup:

Sylvia

Roun2it
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I already have one complaint, the keyboard is so tiny that my fingers hit two keys instead of one. Back of pencil isn't working, any suggestions??

Uschi

Uschi you need a Stylus, the back of a pencil won't work because the touchscreen can only work by recognising an electric current, the amount of electric we have in our bodies is enough to make the touchscreen work. So a Stylus needs to be made of metal for electric conductivity so it can conduct the small amount of electric from your hand to the screen, they usually have a small soft rubber or foam end. Have a look here they don't have to be expensive CLICK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Black-Capacitive-Stylus-iPhone/dp/B007V8D0Q0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359730835&sr=8-1)

LynnM
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
:wave:

Scene Chaser
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Darla, maybe a humidifier in the house would be helpful. They are quite inexpensive. If you have forced air heat your home is probably dry in the winter. Even a kettle of water heated on the stove can be helpful.

Uschi, iPod or iPad? You are becoming such a nerd.

Gail, I had to Google Kev’s vacation spot, too. If must be a REALLY special place. :)

Hi, Doug, did the roofers come?
Nice car that Citroen. I can vouch for the roominess of your present one.

Geoff, Hope the sore throat goes away.

Sylvia, I love onion soup, too. Now you’ve got me looking for a recipe.

Char, let us know if you solved the crooked frame problem.

Karl, please tell me more about your quinoa pudding. I eat the tasteless stuff for my health. :)

Going to try and make my own wheat flakes this morning.
Bill

Yorky
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi Bill. Yes and they have just about finished the rear roof elevation. They will be back tomorrow.

Doug

painterbear
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi again,
Feeling a bit down at the moment because of what happened in Ankara today. When we lived there, we were in the section of the city called Cankaya. It is where the President's House and many of the foreign embassies were. We were not too far from the British Embassy and the U.S. one. So hearing about someone blowing themself up at the entrance and killing the guards (as well as himself) really makes me sad. :(

Bill,
There are lots and lots of recipes out there for the French Onion Soup. The one I used yesterday was from Gourmet Magazine and had gotten 4 Spoons as a rating (top). Still wasn't up to my La Vendome Restaurant in Quebec standard though.

Sounds like the roofers are making good progress, Doug!

:wave: to all,

SYL,

Sylvia

juneto
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Syl, I made Julia Childs recipe once and baked some bones in the oven for the broth , It turned out terrific .
Have you looked up her receipt ?
June

NancyR
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
We are in the 50s today, colder than yesterday. I ran errands at lunchtime.

Darla, There is a product called Liquid Bandage that works on the cracks next to your nails. You apply it once, and by the time it peels off, the crack is healed. I have the same problem. In Chicago, the skin on my legs would crack from being so dry.

Doris, My middle daughter lived in your neighborhood when she was going to school at FIT. I never got to visit her when she lived there.

Doug, Beautiful car! I had one lease car that turned out to be a nightmare when I moved from Florida to Texas. I had to pay a ransom on Sales Tax of $1,000 before they would give me my license plates. I asked them if they were gold-plated. I have never had a lease after that bad experience.

Got to run, lunch is over. Hugs to all in need.

happhoto
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Happy Friday Washerbuds!!

Have spent most of the week taking care of Annie. The flu has subsided quite nicely (thanks to Tamiflu) and the sinus infection is finally giving way to the course of antibiotics she had prescribed for her. Hopefully by Monday she’ll be back at school! Poor sweetie has had to sleep in the livingroom recliner all week:eek: as when she lies flat in bed she gets so stuffed up she can’t breathe. I’ve been dosing her up on tea and lemon with agave, and frequent nasal rinses and though she’s tired and sleeps most of the day away she’s resting well and getting better.

Judy so saddened by your loss.:grouphug: Cancer is such a nasty evil disease. I know you miss her so, even if for her it was a final release from the clutches of illness. I worked the Hutch awards luncheon on Wednesday, this year’s recipient is Barry Zito (Pitcher for the San Francisco Giants) and what a nice (and humble) fellow he is. The Hutch award is given to a player each year not for his on the field achievements, but for his efforts off the field in charity work. The Award luncheon is also a big fund raiser for the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (the ones who give out the award each year) so there were a lot of “high rollers” there as well as sports figures and bigwigs in Cancer research. Got to meet Barry Zito, and this years keynote speaker (and former manager of the Mariners) Lou Pinella…great day for me! Obviously Cancer research is a big issue for me and I was proud to help with the event!

I also got asked by a co worker at the ballpark if I’d consider donating a bit of art to a charity auction for a friend of hers who has a horrible story: The wife has been fighting breast cancer for about 6 years (husband was a Boeing employee) and just recently the husband was diagnosed with Brain Cancer. I’ll be meeting with her today and she will have free choice of any art work I have up to 4 paintings. And I am giving some of my Mariners memorabilia to the auction as well. What a sad story that is not going to have a good ending…and they have children still at home as well…:(

Geoff, :crossfingers: glad that things are finally moving for you. Take it easy my friend…and try gargling with salt water for that sore throat!

LuLu,:cat: how nice of you to leave the gate open for Geoff..another kewpie for him! Take lots of reference photos on your journeys this year…painting ideas for years to come!!

Judy, hope Jack is still doing well with chemo. It takes SO much out of you!:(

Doris, great views indeed!:thumbsup: I love visiting the City, but could never live there! Even Long Island where Anne’s relatives all live now (former Brooklyn and Queens residents all) is too “crowded” for my Wide West tastes. Anne has a cousin that was in Both World Trade Center disasters…Now he’s finally retired!

Love the hibiscus Doug…may have to give this one a go if I can find the time!! Good luck on the roofing job AND the new chariot!!

Annie,:thumbsup: sneaky cheeky you going round the sign and getting home safely too! Loki is living up to her namesake, the little mischief maker !! Hope she manages to steer clear of the jumper ants and the leeches!!

Kevin, you check in when you can and we appreciate that greatly! Ooooh the Maldives!! Will that make you a Mall Diva?? Do you scuba dive?

JJ hugs back at you too!:grouphug: Hope you’ve found nothing too serious as far as storm damage goes! Any word on Reece’s MRI and yours as well?

Bill, 19C and 16F? does not compute! Glad you got some good sleep though!

Darla, my mother had the same problem with her hands! :eek: She used Bag balm (udder cream) used on dairy cows…if you can find a feed store near you somewhere you can get yourself some as well. My mom would sleep with her hands in gloves after coating them with bag balm…that stuff worked miracles! I hope you get to spend some time with the grands this weekend too! My grandfather had a magnificent bbq sauce recipe that died with him as well. I have spent much of my life (as have several of my uncles and aunts) trying to recreate it. SO sad that it’s gone. I am also an onion soup freak and have several recipes from the traditional to the “quick and easy”. That I use…all that being said, the very best recipe is the oldest and most traditional from Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Uschi…you’re being pulled and dragged into the 21st century!! :lol: Hint: try turning the Ipod sideways and see if the keys get bigger!! And watch out for that darned “autocorrect” it gets it wrong MOST of the time!!

Char, good luck to Matt! :crossfingers:

Gail oooooooh scones!! :clap:

Sylvia, I’ve found that the long slow process is the best for a good onion soup. Brown the onions slowly with butter and oil until they finally reach that nice golden brown…and it’s better if you make your own beef stock. I also use sherry or cognac in mine…or a dry white wine if I use chicken stock. -15F…I’d look for an indoor place to run!!

Karl, hope the doldrums pass quickly! I’ve done hurricanes, cyclones, earthquakes, and tornadoes…the only one that scares the bejabbers out of me is Tornadoes! Even big storms at sea are not as scary as a Tornado at night!! Roast Chicken and collard greens sounds GOOD!!

Lynn :wave:

June, Julia is my “go to” for French cooking! I have both of her cookbooks!

Nancy I used to use clear nail polish…cheeper than liquid bandage.

Well I have to get down to the studio to gather up a bunch of paintings for my friend to choose from…I have no idea what they will sell for but hope they help this family in such dire need!

Back later I hope!!
hap

shipbroker
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Evening all...........

Good Wash today even if I started it!

Throat no worse so forgotten about for moment, I basically don't take anything for any of the common ailments, just my menage of prescription stuff for kidneys,heart and prostate....rarely a pain killer and sometimes a counter brand throat sweet....

Weather has been great today apart from some rain about an hour ago...went into see one Bank in Thirsk regarding closure of Mothers account and went in shirt sleeves it was so warm........great job they even gave me a cheque after closing the a/c.

geoff

LCPainterCat
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
This 'n That --

[B]Darla: have you tried "Bag Balm" for your poor, cracked fingers? It is actually the stuff used by dairy farmers on their cows to keep the "bags" soft and protected. I have several friends who swear by it! Vermont Country Store sells it, but you might find it less pricey at a farm supply or equestrian store if you have one in your area.

Uschi: Kev answered your problem in typing on those teeny tiny keyboards. I couldn't do it either, when my daughter handed me her iPhone and asked me to find the closest Starbucks while we were on the highway between Maryland and Pennsylvania. We were both giggling hysterically at my total helpless incompetence at doing what every teenager can do with two thumbs while not even looking, as we flew past exit after exit and I was having to go back over and over and try, try again. So, who needs those teeny keypads, anyway? Harrumph. BUT, she gave me her 4-year old iPhone when she got a new version at Christmas. I didn't think I wanted one, but I LOVE it!!! It was already loaded with loads of free apps and great audiobooks (not free, but nifty!) And yes, I bought an inexpensive stylus, and use it easily. The trick, for me, was to buy one that had a small hole at the top end which I threaded (using a thin wire loop) with very narrow good quality ribbon, the kind Michael's sells on a spool for about a dollar. I attached the other looped end between the phone and its cover, so the stylus is always attached to the phone. Otherwise, it would never be where I could find it (or reach it) when needed.

Sylvia: Onion soup -- all the onion soups I've tried in the last few years have been "blondes," with pale, butter-wilted onions and a chicken broth base. I remember a rich, intense, deep, dark broth made with beef, and the onions sauteed until they were dark and deeply flavored. Am I alone in remembering onion soup that way? What kind do you prefer to make? It occurs to me that a nice letter to Le Vendome Restaurant in Quebec might yield a recipe. The restaurant was reviewed as late as fall, 2011, and noted as "closed" in October of that year. Still, a letter might get forwarded to someone who would be pleased and happy to share the recipe or method. I think you speak French??? <G>

Doris: what a great apartment and terrific location! That sunroom/balcony must be a year-round joy. My early childhood, before we moved to June's New Canaan, was spent in an apartment on East 84th street, just a block away from Central Park where we played every day. I have never lost my love for New York City. Lucky you, to live in such a fab location and enjoy such marvelous views! : )

Doug: Your new car is really sharp looking! How nifty to get a new version every three years : )
When my second story roof was replaced, the roofers didn't use scaffolding. They scampered up and down ladders with their bundles of shingles and tools. I offered them hot soup, or tea, as it was a frigid November day with light snow swirling around them. They refused politely, ate their packed lunches on top of the roof, and worked until too dark to see. Almost all roofers here are recent Korean immigrants, and seem to have a very strong work ethic.
Great entries in last month's Father and Son challenge paintings. The new one (spectacular photo!) will no doubt bring forth another huge response, albeit with an entirely different palette. : )

Geoff: Such stress. (((()))) I'm glad you are planning ahead for some good trips in your caravan. It must be hard having to delay your mother's funeral for so long, but that will give you time to tie up most of the loose ends first, so you can truly say, "good bye," and also allow many of the people who remember her, plenty of time to gather from near and far. Fingers crossed that your sore throat doesn't develop into anything more.

JJ: ??? You are silent today. Wasn't it yesterday that you were due to hear the results of your MRI?

Judy: Such sadness to lose a sister. It is comforting that she, herself, knew it was time to enter Hospice care after her long battle, and that you all were able to visit her in her last day at home.

Weather here this week? Monday, schools and US Gov't had delayed openings because a little snow and freezing rain made driving possibly dangerous, and at the 5 AM decision hour for officials, it looked as if it would get worse. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't . . . . On Tuesday and Wednesday, it was an all-time record-breaking, balmy 72 degrees! Yesterday, under threatening skies, dropping temperatures, and howling winds, there were tornado warnings and heavy rains. This morning it snowed about an inch -- no big deal -- but our temperatures tonight will be over 50 degrees lower than they were just yesterday morning!

Hap: You "sneaked in" while I was spell-checking! It's always a delight to read one of your comprehensive posts! Great that Annie is recovering under your TLC. And another vote for Bag Balm! <G>
Wish I could be like Hap, and send a special greeting to everyone -- but there is only ONE Hap!

Take care, Everyone, whatever your weather. : )

Lynn/LC~

JudyL
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi, hanging in there, Jack does well in the Chemo, because he does not DO sick! He has not lost any hair that he already have had, not that much, but it's good.
Thanks again for the :grouphug:s It was a shock that she went so quickly after going into hospice, but she had suffered for so long, I think she was done with it all.

Keep well, and I will keep looking for a good onion soup as well.

olliewood0702
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Larry's mom used her own Beef broth that she made. It's BEST with beef. I think she used some kind of alcohol in it too but what kind I have no idea.:confused:

Many of you have suggested the bag balm (udder cream) I remember my daughter using it for diaper rash and it worked! I forgot all about it; and I'm pretty sure Tractor Supply would have it or CVS or Walgreens. I'll give it a try. I've heard of using super glue too for cuts; it must smart pretty bad but would work like the liquid bandage.:thumbsup:

I've had a stomach ache all afternoon I hope it goes away soon. Drinking hot tea to stay warm; it's cold in the office today; perhaps due to the brisk wind. And I sit by the main door..with everyone coming and going it lets in cold air. I do have an electric wall heater that I turn on too...but it's mostly warm if I'm standing right next to it.:rolleyes:

What a great informative and caring wash today; you guys are the best.

Night all, 45 more minutes until I can start my weekend.:clap: :D :wave:

New Gamboge
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi all - and yet another solution for cracked hands; lips; nose - get anhydrous lanolin from a druggist, it's very sticky, so after you apply it, rub a little hand lotion (any kind) over it - it works wonders.

Doug - snazzy new car;

Kev - look forward to hearing about your trip.

Annie - love to hear your tales.

DD and I went for a hike up the hill behind our place (called Cobble Hill Mountain, but it really is a big hill) - first time since the fall so my legs are feeling it (in spite of all my curling).

We are trying to start a seniors' drop in centre for Cobble Hill - so far there has been a lot of interest.

Our feral kitty, Mr. Stubbi, just loves to sit on a chair we moved off our small deck to the front porch - one of these days I'll manage to get a picture of him and post it.

Judy - so sorry on your loss - my sister went a few years ago, didn't want any visitors, and by the time I decided I was going to go anyway, it was too late. So lots of hugs to you. Betty

Scene Chaser
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Hap, -19 C. sorry about that.
Bill

happhoto
02-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Bill.....just yanking your chain amigo...but that's C C C COOOOLD!!
Went and met the friend and she chose 5 1/8th sheet paintings and was amazed at how many I had for her to choose from...I told her "Well....I don't sell em so when I finish one it goes into the box!":angel:

Only one hap:lol: ...I sure HOPE so!! I don't think I could stand MORE of me!! But if there were, I could sing that famous Song ...." I think I'm a Clone now"!! :lol: :angel:

Annie is feeling better...she even said she could smell a little today!

See you tomorrow

hap :clear: yep...just me!!