PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at posting

NorahT
06-22-2001, 02:51 PM
Hi all and thank you for your welcoming messages. Thank you Animal for the posting link. This is actually the second time I have started this thread - the first one must be floating somewhere in cyberspace. I just wanted to see if I could manage a posting and if it comes through it is a painting done at a pouring workshop (great fun), before the work was framed.

Norah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2001/poppies.JPG [IMG]

Kandiman
06-22-2001, 03:16 PM
This is beautiful, Norah :)
I love the variety and intensity of colours you've used :clap:
I'd love to hear about "pouring" - I'm not familiar with that technique :confused: sounds interesting

Javier
06-22-2001, 03:54 PM
It is a very nice composition. I really like the strong colors, but I would enjoy it more if it was bigger (the posting). After you become more familiar with the WC system maybe you could re-post it larger.

j

NorahT
06-22-2001, 05:27 PM
Thank you Kandiman. Colours came up a little brighter on scan. Briefly - work large on stretched paper, frisket main items, prepare 3 or 4 colours in small containers (about 1/4 cup) for background. Wet paper, pour colours on where you hope they will go, then rock board to mix colours and pour surplus off from one corner. When dry, remove frisket and finish painting. We prepared drawing and frisket before the one-day workshop, poured and started painting in workshop and then finished on our own.

Needless to say you wear old clothes!

Norah

NorahT
06-22-2001, 05:38 PM
Thank you Javier. I would like to post a larger version, but I don't know how :confused: My understanding is that the limits for the uploads are 400x400 pixels and not more than 100 bytes. If this is so how do the other members get such large, clear pictures and how do they get them in above the message?

Do you know if there is somewhere at WetCanvas that will guide me? I have looked, but have not come across anything yet :)

Rod
06-22-2001, 06:00 PM
Hi Norah,
The image that you have posted is 186 by 175 pixels and uses only 9k of space.
The original image when viewed in your image software will be listed as using about 97k , but when it is saved in JPG it is compressed to about 9K.
So your image saved at 400 pixels would still be under the 100k limit. After saving check the file size using windows explorer with file details showing, then you will see the size that you would be uploading,
Hope this helps,
Rod.

Rod
06-22-2001, 06:02 PM
Lovely painting, you've caught the light ,
Hope we get to see a larger image,
Rod.

Rosebud
06-22-2001, 07:58 PM
:clap: Bravo:clap:

Norah,

That pouring technique sounds like fun.

Your flowers are lovely.

Rose

Ivyleaf
06-22-2001, 08:34 PM
Welcome Norah :) Lovely painting, would love to see a bigger view :) If Rod's suggestions don't help, let me know and I can try to talk you thru it :)

Again, welcome to Wet Canvas :)

Ivy

NorahT
06-23-2001, 11:48 AM
Hi again,

Here is another attempt at uploading - this time a photo of the poppies picture in its frame.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

NorahT
06-23-2001, 11:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2001/Framed_Poppies_wc.JPG

Oops. forgot the control v

This is a poor photograph and the actual colours are lighter than this.

My son (alias computer guru) gave me a crash course in preparing files for uploading, so I hope to do much better in the future.

MALARKEY
06-23-2001, 12:51 PM
Wow!! This is a great painting... Thanks for showing a larger image. I really like how you have the negative shapes in the background and such pretty colors. :D

taghera
06-23-2001, 05:34 PM
Great painting Norah, there's a rich feel to it. :)

Rod
06-23-2001, 05:42 PM
Beautiful painting, the soft pour technique background is ideal and your bold flowers really stand out .
Now you have mastered the uploading we will look forward to seeing many more,
Rod.

sun_merman
06-23-2001, 06:05 PM
I love the way you have captured the light!

It is a very nice work.

NorahT
06-25-2001, 10:39 AM
Hi Rod,

Thank you for the information regarding the sizing of my pictures for uploading. I printed it out, but must admit that I was a little lost among the pixels, Ks and jpg. However, when my son read it he knew what you were saying and was able to set out a step-by-step list of the necessary moves for me to save a file in the proper format. So together with Animal's link to the uploading, I should be able to post future paintings!

I have passed this information along to RuthT, so we should see some of her work up there soon:)

NorahT
06-25-2001, 11:24 AM
Hi Rod,

I have already sent this message, but it did not show up on the thread. I just wanted to say thank you for the info on sizing my painting. I printed it out, but have to admit I was a little hazy about it. However, when my son read it he knew what you were saying and was able to set up a little routine for me to follow to get my paintings filed in an appropriate form.

I passed this information on to RuthT and she should have some of her work up very soon.

Again - thank you.

:)

NorahT
06-25-2001, 11:26 AM
What makes anyone think I am new to this forum!!

Javier
06-25-2001, 02:01 PM
The way you have used the light and you bold use of strong colors has made this a very exciting painting.

Thanks for going to the work of giving us a larger image.

j

lonie
06-27-2001, 07:06 AM
This is beautiful.

ameliajordan
06-27-2001, 07:23 AM
Glad you got the larger image posted so I could see your lovely painting. I've done one poured background and got nice results. Didn't mind the time it took to mask out my image but found pouring to be expensive due to amount of paint used. Yours is a super composition and has such nice negative spaces around the bright flowers. :)