PDA

View Full Version : WIP Surfboard Painting

Bluesy
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone!

For the past month or so I've been working on an acrylic painting done on the back of a surfboard. The image is a underwater view of two "humans" duck diving into a wave. Now I say "humans" because I'm trying to express the idea that they are actually a type of water spirit that is both diving under the wave and becoming one with it. This idea will probably be more evident once I'm further along.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2013/1184036-WIP_surfboard.jpg

As for right now... well I'm having a few issues with the main figure (you know, the large one taking up a good third of the board). For the past couple of days I've been playing around with skin tone, and as a result of all the painting over that has happened it feels as if the human has lost all structure! She looks way more 2D than I'd like and I'm getting a little frustrated...

My plan is to look up more reference images and add in more detail as far as trying to establish some muscle structure and getting more subtle shadows in there. I would however love to hear some input from everyone here!

See anything that needs fixing as far as the main figure goes? Skin tone still isn't looking quite like she's submerged underwater? Face still looks a little cartoonish? She looks like a flat human shaped thing?

I'm excited to hear your input!

~Bluesy

La_
02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
cool idea!
good idea to look up more reference images, esp. underwater pics (for flesh tone adjustments)
check proportions and measure - the head might be too big for the body? forearm might be too thick?
i expect the force of her diving into the water would do something interesting with the water and the edges around her body ... not sure what, exactly ...

acrylics i assume?

la

maryinasia
02-10-2013, 06:29 AM
love the hair. how's this painting coming?