PDA

View Full Version : AH-64 Colour

devonaviationart
01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi All

Can anyone help me with mixing colours to create the colour that the Apache is as I am about to start painting one on canvas. I had thought something like a black green would work but too dark. Has anyone done a painting of an apache and if so what colour did they use or how did they mix the colour.

Cheers Tony

NeilF92
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I painted a British one a while back. No idea how I got the colour but I suspect it would have been a mix of Raw Umber , Yellow Ochre and a little Windsor blue .

My tip for getting a handle on what colour to use is to open a photo in Photoshop Elements ( or any other computer art prog ) and use the colour picker to see where it takes the colour from i.e is it in a red , green , blue or whatever swatch .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2013/95311-finalAp.jpg

Chas McHugh
01-31-2013, 02:38 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2013/984204-AH64.jpg
I too would use an umber as a starting point but also a grey. The matt camouflage has a magnetic attraction to all and everything from dust through hyd oils to fuel so a cocktail of tones is probably in order. Almost no reflection which can make for a challenging painting; Good Luck. It is not as green as you may think it is.

Neverstsfyd
02-01-2013, 01:24 AM
I had a friend in college ROTC that went through Ft Rucker flight school and came out as Captain M. Mack and an Apache pilot. He called the training helicopters, "A loose assemblage of aeronautical parts all moving in the same general direction."

NeilF92
02-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Sums up my view of helicopters - only been in one once - Grand Canyon tourist trip . Enjoyed the experience but prefer the fixed planks flying machines

Chas McHugh
02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
5000 hours rotary; happy days!

Neverstsfyd
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I have had the pleasure of several Hueys, two Chinooks, 1 Sikorsky skycrane with troop box, 1 LOACH, and the front seat of a Cobra 1st generation. Good times! And it is nice to have a buddy as a pilot.

NeilF92
02-02-2013, 04:57 AM
Banter aside - I've recently read " Sweating the Metal" by a Chinook pilot about his experiences flying in Afghanistan. His love and respect for the big machine shines through the book and I have nothing but praise ,admiration and gratitude to all those who can and do man the rotary elements of our Air Forces.

Incidentally I tried the colour picker thing on my painting and Chas's phot . Not surprisingly they came out in very similar fields - base of orangey brown modified by dark grey .

shadwell
02-07-2013, 08:07 AM
heres something that may help . i use it for modelling but usefull to point in the right direction for painting too , i have it on my favourites bar for convenience

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

devonaviationart
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Shadow thanks fro that link

NeilF92
02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
That's exactly what I was suggesting - handy site that shadwell.
That kind of colour picker / swatch arrangement should be present in most of the computer art packages around. It's a very interesting exercise on a bare metal finish . Some unexpected colours pop up.

shadwell
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
deffinately is on most art/photo programmes , the difrence with this one though is it gives a list of available coloours from difrent model paint manufacturers , being that most do an acrylics range nowadays and a lot of folks paint in acrylics itn is very useful for buying a straight out of the pot starting colour and being that most are combat aircraft colours :thumbsup: