PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise, Quiet Essence

Flycatcher10
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Oil Pastels
16x20: gessoed hardboard

No underpainting on this piece, although it probably would have saved me tons of OPs in that many more layers in the sky had to be added.

This painting was loosely based on a photograph taken by Henry Harold Blignaut (of pmp) of a sunrise in South Africa. I fell in love with the sun and terrific wave structure, but made some changes that I thought the scene could handle: cropped the image so that the sun was not center but off to the left (somewhat), added 90% more clouds so the soft colors could play off them, and turned up the chroma slightly (I think the photograph was either taken at dusk or dawn but at a time when it was neither too dark or light and thus was too bland).

All C&C's are welcome. Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2013/974094-Sunset,_Quiet_Essence__final.jpg

lalflen
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Fabulous! Actually thought that it was a sunrise over the Atlantic in Florida. I love it!

stee71
01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Another awesome addition to your sunset/sunrise series Mary.
The sky is so well done.

Flycatcher10
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi Linda: Thank you so much, I really appreciate hearing from you!! The scene can be anywhere you want the sunrise to be, as long as you take time to enjoy!

Hi Steve: Thanks, I really sweated this one out - gave me lots of challenges w/o an underpainting. Chewed up a ton of OP. Thank you, the sky was my favorite part of this painting.

mirizar
01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Awesome! You're a master of skies now!

CarlyHardy
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Sign it!! Just awesome!

fishfan
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Mary, this one is a beaut. I especially like the three incarnations of the sun...in the sky, in the water, and on the wet sand. Well done!

SammyH
01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Mary, this is beautiful. The reflection of the sun in the water and on the sand is perfect - that is so easy to overdue. Your hard and diligent work has paid off and you are now a master of skies. :thumbsup:

VickiB
01-30-2013, 03:40 AM
Oooh you nailed it Mary! Just fabulous well done!

Flycatcher10
01-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi Michelle: thank you for your comment! I love working out skies w/oil pastels - thanks for mentioning!

Hi Carly: Thank so much, appreciate your comment. Haven't signed it just yet - still thinking about a couple of nit-pics that I want to do. When is a painting really done?

Hi Ed: Thank you for commenting! The sun went through a number of changes until I could settle on the proper hues, then it was a lot of fun working the colors throughout the painting.

Hi Sammy: Thank you for the wonderful feedback. The quiet nature of the scene and the sun's reflection are what caught my attention. Appreciate your comment on the sky!

Hi Vickie: So good to hear from you, hope all is well. Thank you for commenting, appreciate your great feedback.

SAI70
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Creative as always Mary. Excellent work :thumbsup: . I made a folder
in my notebook for all of your work :)

mollerman
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Mary, you've captured a wonderful sense of atmosphere! Five star art!!! You have taken what was likely a very nice photo and refreshed it with a wonderful sense of artistic licensing!

Flycatcher10
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Sherif, thank you so much for your kind comment. I'm overwhelmed by your wonderful gesture of saving my works - that's a high compliment when for another artist to receive. Thank you.

Hi Marcus: Thank you for your feedback it's really appreciated. Does it make sense to you, that I would feel this piece as I was painting it? Perhaps that's why the atmosphere developed as it did. Thanks for your encouragement Marcus!

Mikenoss
02-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Mary, Idyllic peaceful scene. Beautifully done. :thumbsup:

Flycatcher10
02-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Graham, thank you for commenting - I really appreciate it!

roy-p
02-02-2013, 04:26 AM
This is glorious! The heave of that dawn sea, lit by the sun's golden rays and the blue from the sky above, is so very well depicted. This teaches me a lot about this wonderful medium.

Pat Isaac
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Stunning piece, Mary and it is a wonderful addition to your series. Your hard work is certainly paying off.

Pat

Flycatcher10
02-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Roy: Thank yo so much for your wonderful feedback on quiet Essence, I really appreciate your comments. I was really taken by the dawn light when I first saw the image and was the main reason for painting this scene. Oil Pastels are such a great medium to paint with, hope you try them out - be sure to get artist quality or you'll get discouraged by student brand that are waxy and hard to move around the surface.

Hi Pat: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. My final in the sunset-sunrise series for a while. Thanks!

Frostie
02-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Mary,
It's stunning - you just keep getting better and better - you must be so proud of it. The sky is stunning and the reflections in the water are gorgeous.
Helen

Flycatcher10
02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Helen: Thank you so much for your very kind comments. it's a great journey of learning and experiencing this wonderful medium. Appreciate it Helen.

imhappy
10-25-2013, 10:16 AM
I actually thought that is the reference picture! So nicely done and so realistic!

Flycatcher10
10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi imhappy, very nice to see you and meet you! :wave:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment about Sunrise, Quiet Essence. I appreciate hearing from you.

If you paint in oil pastels, we all look forward to seeing your paintings.