PDA

View Full Version : Wareham Dorset

rossmarie
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Hello everyone. This is a second attempt at this scene on the River Frome at Wareham. Would have posted on open critique if it was possible to upload.

It's a nice place to sail or motor up to on a high tide and have a pint in the Granary Pub just out of picture.

14x 10in on 140lb Bockingford paper.

All criticism (good or bad ) welcome as , like everyone else, trying to improve.

Mike:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2013/1111482-Wareham_-Mark_2_re-sized.JPG

Dana Design
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
This type of painting is exactly why I love seeing watercolor paintings! It's beautiful, serene and wonderfully painted.

I'll also tack this into the Open Crit forum.

Octopus Inc.
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Nice, I love it... Simple, clean... well done.

upthebloodytree
01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Lovely painting, nice choice of colours - warm foreground and cooler background. Perhaps the smaller tree could have been a touch lighter to push it back a little.

Andrewcody
01-29-2013, 11:29 PM
The water appears to be falling or sloping to the left into the buildings.
Middle building with a doorway into the river ?
Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
01-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi Andrew. Don't think there's too much wrong with the water but I think the edge against the nearest building should have been painted at less of an angle - makes it look as if the water slopes. Re doorway - guilty as charged.
Painted this at some speed with a rather gung-ho approach as was determined not to get "tight". Result is a few inaccuracies.

regards Mike

rossmarie
01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Thanks UTBT. Think you are right about the smaller tree.

Mike

arnieb
01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Lovely inviting sceen - well done. My only crit would be to soften the edges of trees and the roof ridges. Arnie

rossmarie
01-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Arnie and thanks. Didn't get the big tree right first time and I think tinkering now is likely to make it worse. I think I commented elsewhere that, in my experience, trying to correct or improve "mistakes in watercolour results (about 8 times out of 10) in making matters worse! So I'll live with it and try to do a better job next time.

Mike

tamarqu
02-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Il
ike the painting but think the perspective with the buildings is a bit off and I think you need more darks to ground the painting. Overall it is a nice piece.

rossmarie
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Il
ike the painting but think the perspective with the buildings is a bit off and I think you need more darks to ground the painting. Overall it is a nice piece.
Thanks tamarqu. Agree perspective not perfect but painted at speed with very little preparatory drawing. Not sure where you think I need more darks??

Mike