PDA

View Full Version : Cromwell's Castle Tresco Isles of Scilly

rossmarie
01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone - this is based on a smaller watercolour I did on Tresco several years ago. Have been lucky enough to spend several painting holidays there - no cars and a peaceful idyllic spot. For overseas friends, this is about 28 miles off Lands End, the south west tip of England. A few miles further west is the Bishop's Rock lighthouse and then nothing but ocean until you hit the east coast of America and Nova Scotia.

Painting didn't quite work out as intended (do they ever?) and I don't like the cliff reflection RHS but fiddling further will only make it worse. Still cannot upload in open critique so it's here. All crits welcome.

15x11 in on 140lb. Bockingford paper.

Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2013/1111482-new24472.JPG

Debzy
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Mike I love your work! You just keep presenting one after another of beautiful scenes with that simple free technique you have. Just beautiful. =)) Cheers Debs.

birdhs
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
well.. try as I might, (a critique should focus on both technical and aesthetic points of the work presented) I cannot find any serious flaws in this, but there are some noteworthy assets:

The green grass in the foreground is cleverly echoed on the island-and toned down just the perfect degree for atmospheric perspective

All the shadows are spot-on, both in direction and intensity

The colors of the stone tower would make me believe the stones were locally quarried, as the land masses seem the same as the tower.

Sky and ocean washes are also just right, not too blue, and not muddy gray.

the only tiny nitpickle might be the shapes of the clouds seem hard, but I really had to stare for a while for that to come out.. after all, no one paints a perfect painting, 'cept you-know-who.

Thanx so much for sharing this with us

greggo

rossmarie
01-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Greggo - thank you for your analysis and encouraging comments. There are some flaws I'd like to eliminate.....but then, there always are!!
Re the "clouds" - I agree they look a bit suspect. My aim was to avoid a completely empty monotonous sky so while doing a gung-ho quick wash I made sure I missed a few areas. So the clouds are almost accidental but perhaps I should have taken care not to leave rectangular blocks! Mike

rossmarie
01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Debzy - your comments are always encouraging and kind! Since I have joined WetCanvas, I have seen some wonderful paintings. As I love watercolour, I spend quite a lot of time browsing in watercolour gallery and some of the watercolourists there are mind-blowingly good - Jan Min from Holland for example. I am quite sure these wonderful artists are helping me, a lesser mortal, to improve. I still turn out some pretty mediocre paintings at times - but when I look back a year or two I can see I am making progress. So be encouraged Debs.....it's so much fun isn't it?

Mike