PDA

View Full Version : Cromwell's Castle Tresco Isles of Scilly

rossmarie
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone - this is based on a smaller watercolour I did on Tresco several years ago. Have been lucky enough to spend several painting holidays there - no cars and a peaceful idyllic spot. For overseas friends, this is about 28 miles off Lands End, the south west tip of England. A few miles further west is the Bishop's Rock lighthouse and then nothing but ocean until you hit the east coast of America and Nova Scotia.

Painting didn't quite work out as intended (do they ever?) and I don't like the cliff reflection RHS but fiddling further will only make it worse. Still cannot upload in open critique so it's here. All crits welcome.

15x11 in on 140lb. Bockingford paper.

Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2013/1111482-new24472.JPG

levanty
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Do you have a reference photo or is this from memory alone? The clouds are too square...not very natural (IMHO). Something left to be desired...not sure if it's colour, texture or both. A little plain but promising.

rossmarie
01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
No photo Yvie but based on a sketch I made in-situ. Therefore, not totally accurate but recognisable to anyone who has been there. Re the "cloud" shapes, I didn't really paint them as clouds but merely left gaps in the wash to lift the sky a bit and relieve the monotony! Much could be improved..........

Mike