PDA

View Full Version : Old Red House... Australia!

Debzy
01-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Just blocked in today. Good to be painting again. =)) all critique and advice welcome as always!!! Cheers =)) Debs. Sorry have to make file smaller. :(

Dana Design
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Photo?

Debzy
01-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Sorry Dana, I tried to add the photo using my mobile phone but I couldn't make the file smaller. I now have my computer internet fixed up finally and will try now. My apologies. I know the house is a bit crooked, partly its due to my camera work. This is only the very early block in stage, will improve the perspective as I go. The photo I took of the painting has made it look very crooked. =)) Cheers Debs.

Dana Design
01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Looking good! Thanks for the photo.

Andrewcody
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Looking very good Deb.
A bit of a different scene for you
Wonderful
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes Andrew quite different! And thank you. The difficulty in this one for me was getting the pre drawing perspective right. It was tricky because I don't use a ruler and don't like to use much detail, just a brief sketch with not too many lines and keeping it very light. This house is fairly square but a little crooked due to age and environmental conditions. I liked the setting, it's not far from where I live but is about 1800 circa I think? I liked the sweeping lawn and road with the distance being shrouded in a dusty haze. I wanted a challenge and I got one! Lol. Thanks again Andrew, I hope it turns out ok and maybe I will sell it if it does. Cheers =)) Debs. Ps. When will you post some work again =))

Debzy
01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Stage 2. :thumbsup: SHould I do much more to the scenery, I don't want to take away from the house. I know I still have a bit of work on the house yet, but not sure whether to add some blue grey to the sky and more greenery to the garden and more colour to the road? What thinks you all??? Cheers =)) Debs. :D

rossmarie
01-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi Debzy - coming on well. Not sure I'd mess around with the sky now ...perhaps a slightly darker blue/grey top left hand corner?

Looks like light coming from right and slightly behind so I'd be inclined to darken the left hand gable wall of the house so that it stands out against the sky. Wouldn't fiddle about with the scenery much, if at all, but think some slightly stronger tones to the foreground grass/ground might be a good idea.

Feel free to disagree Debs! Look forward to the next stage.

Mike:wave:

Debzy
01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks Mike! I agree with everything you suggest! I don't think there's much more to do without overworking it but those suggestions are spot on and it won't be overworked! I still have to make the telegraph poles a little clearer on the left and some cables from them. Hope I don't spoil it =)) thanks Mike! Much appreciated advice. Cheers. =)) Debs.

Trumper
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
:) I agree ,keep it open space it gives the house centre stage and scale.

Debzy
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks Trumper, always great to hear from you! I hope to do more on it later today or tomorrow depending on work hours. Looking forward to finishing it, it's been good to paint something different. I do want to keep it simple and open and I agree that will keep the house as focal point. Cheers Trumper and thanks again. =)) Debs.

arnieb
01-30-2013, 08:39 AM
This is looking delightful. :thumbsup: Yes I could live there.
Openness is great - suggest darkening bottom left corner a bit - perhaps with a shaddow from a tree across/on the road? and adding some dark to define the curve of the road - that would help to focus eye on the house.
Arnie

tamarqu
02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
This is lovely. I would darken the sky around the building and also the ground it is sitting on to cement it into the picture. also add more vibrant blues to the sky to help punch out the wow with the highlights. I look forward to seeing the finished painting. Good job.

Debzy
02-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Thank you Tamarqu and Arnie. I greatly appreciate your comments and advice! I will consider all suggestions and post the next stage soon. Have been working non stop and frustrated that I can't put the finishing touches on it. I don't want to rush it though. Hopefully this week!!! Thanks again and cheers to all. =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Why is the fence post there ?

Andrew

Debzy
02-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Because it is ! =)) lol

levanty
02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
I really LOVE this Debs! I vote for more colour. There is something not quite right with the fence post though. Maybe the angle? This reminds me of a painting I did last year. I'll post them together for your reference.
Awesome work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2013/980793-comp.jpg

rossmarie
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Nice one Debzy! That's "stumped" Andrew! However, he does have a point.
Without the post, The foreground would look very empty but because the post is so near the edge of the painting it does look slightly odd. Thinking about it, I feel your post needs to stay but I wonder if some foreground shadow might help from. an imaginary tree just over and behind your right shoulder. What do you think? Mike.

Debzy
02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks Yvie and Mike! And Andrew of course lol! I was kidding around =)). I will be adding more foreground detail and may change the height of the fence post so it doesn't sit flush with the background line of grass. I like the post because it gives it character, dimension and depth I think. I haven't finished it yet and hope to post new stage very soon. I agree with some shadow and more colour, thank you all. It is a very well known old house in my local area and the fence is as old as the house I believe! Probably too close to the edge of painting though, I do agree. Cheers and thanks again all! =)). P.s. I remember yours Yvie, very pretty, difficult subject. Similar position of house too! Angles and perspective are tricky with buildings aren't they! Take care Yvie and thanks. X

levanty
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks Yvie and Mike! And Andrew of course lol! I was kidding around =)). I will be adding more foreground detail and may change the height of the fence post so it doesn't sit flush with the background line of grass. I like the post because it gives it character, dimension and depth I think. I haven't finished it yet and hope to post new stage very soon. I agree with some shadow and more colour, thank you all. It is a very well known old house in my local area and the fence is as old as the house I believe! Probably too close to the edge of painting though, I do agree. Cheers and thanks again all! =)). P.s. I remember yours Yvie, very pretty, difficult subject. Similar position of house too! Angles and perspective are tricky with buildings aren't they! Take care Yvie and thanks. X

Debs, perhaps changing the height of the post will do the trick. However, I still wonder how the horizontal piece (of the fence post) connects to the vertical piece. Is it interlocking? In the first sketch, your line was straighter, making it more believable, then it became a curve. You mentioned that you don't like rulers but the left part of the roof needs to be straighter, even if it's an old roof, lol. The rest of the house is beautiful. I like that you use tone variations on the windows and the balcony. I would give the balcony more solidity as it does not look too safe to stand on. Perhaps straightening the base line? What a beautiful area to live in! It must be inspiring for you. Thank you for remembering the Winter Manor. Yes angles are tricky and I know nothing about perspective but I love the architectural challenge. Maybe I was a technical drawer in another life, lol

Debzy
02-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks Yvie, I have changed a few things here and hopefully it will have improved it. The house isn't occupied these days, the verandah is not safe to walk on. It is a very old house. I wanted to try and get the fragility of it and the age somehow. This is how people in this area know it. Anyway, still taking crits and advice, here is the next (hopefully last) instalment. =)) Cheers. Debs.

arnieb
02-15-2013, 04:00 AM
The extra work has finished it off nicely. :thumbsup: Definately looks rugged. I think the post works to provide a fg that is not distracting from the house, however if you cover it up you dont lose anything as the house and road provide a sufficent illusion of depth and interest. I like it as it is. Looking forward to the next one Debs. Arnie

levanty
02-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Oh now this looks wonderful. I love the depth in the sky, the telephone poles (you were afraid of, lol) and the overall weathered feel. A handyman's dream house! Your fence post makes sense now too. Congratulations!

Debzy
02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank you so much Arnie and Yvie! I wasn't sure if I should add the lines that connect the poles, but I think not. And if there was enough colour in the sky. It was a very overcast day. Thank you, I think I will leave it as is, I don't want to. Overwork it. I am ready to start my next work now. I really appreciate your feedback. It means a lot. Cheers =)) Debs. X

rossmarie
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
It's come out really well Debs. Well done! The old house looks really quite "spooky".

Mike :clap: :thumbsup:

Round
02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Well done Debs!
There's a lovely sense of former times and now abandonment. I like the post in the foreground - I'm standing right there with it.

You've captured the vastness of the sky very cleverly.
I'm rather in awe of water colourists - so little room for error!

Cheers!
Round

Debzy
02-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Hi Round and Mike! Thank you so much for the encouraging feedback. And Round, I am in awe of you! I love what you do and the detail and patience I could only dre of having. Thank you. Mike, it always means a lot to hear your opinion too, being a fellow water colorist and being so good at what you do. I feel so lucky even blessed to have such wonderful and honest encouraging friends in the art world. Thanks everyone. X =)) cheers. Debs.

Debzy
02-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Thought I'd let you know I have sold this painting! Yay! Got a great price for it too! Money towards bills, a little bit closer to one day working less jobs and less hours! Cheers everyone and thanks for all the advice and support as always. X Debs. X

maryinasia
02-24-2013, 07:12 AM
congratulations! it's beautiful -- love the colors

Debzy
02-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you so much Mary. X

Andrewcody
02-25-2013, 12:02 AM
You could always hang a fox off that fence post Debs.....ok kidding kidding.
It is the season for it though.
Seems a shame that the old house has been allowed to fall apart like that.
Great painting though
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
02-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks Andrew! I was thinking maybe I should have had an Emu walking along the road ! Lol. Always a pleasure to hear from you my Aussie friend. When do we get to view your next work??? =)) Debs. X

Andrewcody
02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Mention Emu and that song starts in my head..argh :)

I have been drawing, but not painting, been about a year since I painted.
The Campbelltown Art Show is on again in May, so should get my brushes sharpened and get to it

Regards
Andrew

Debzy
02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Definitely Andrew! Ol' man emu is a callin' !!!! Prime up the brushes, mix the paint and Whadya got to lose !!!! It's only paint and paper after all !!! Really looki g forward to your next work! Chickens maybe or some other farmyard scene!! Go Andrew. Cheers=)) Debs from fellow Aussie land. X

kotch
03-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Nice job. The colors are very subdued making for a calm effect. Good to look at and I relax.