http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2013/84648-lantern_d.jpg

la

mr.gee
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
good work La i like the colours and the story. cant wait for the rest

silvenus
01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Oh!! La you have done it again please how can I paint like you
Is the girl looking for the silver cat at the top of the tree or the ginger kitten at the bottom. who is the face with a monster nose in the cloud ? you are a master artist and inspiration to wannabe painters like me

La_
01-25-2013, 04:30 AM
hey, mr.gee, welcome and nice to meetcha =)
thanks for noting the story, i'm kind of calling it done, there is no rest beyond sleep later ... i expect you're refering to the white of her in thoughts of more ... this is the question and the conundrum, does she need to be more or is it okay, is it good to have her as a cut out, a not really belonging, a very small lantern in the whole, misplaced ... i dunno, but she told me to make her white so i did, does it intrigue you or make you just say, what?

silvenus, what?! like just, what? kittens and monsters, good lord! ha, just kidding - i love that you see all that, what an ink blot clouds can be!
this is A LOT of color for me, it terrifies me to try and put them all together in the same painting and i'll probably go hide in browns for a while to get over it. or i'll dare color again ... hopefully soon

la

silvenus
01-25-2013, 05:04 AM
why are the tree branches all to the right If I were a believer the tree could be a stairway to heaven. then why have you made that patch of white/silver at the top of the tree It can't be cloud with a cats face
you paintings have so many of these extras in them I cannot believe they are anything other than deliberate

moebean
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Personally I think she is fine white, she has just enough color and definition that makes it work. I would however maybe address her LT hand ... i'm not positive but it looks like the thumb is too large, if that is indeed a thumb and not part of her dress!

leisure artist
01-25-2013, 11:41 AM
this is lovely...beautiful colours...the girl does not need any colour imo...altogether very mystical:)

La_
01-26-2013, 03:13 AM
silv, ah the branches, they are not, really, more a keeping of red on that side of the painting, eluding to branches, balance so that while you're looking at her there is a tree in your peripheral ... kitties, you make me smile, i love and keep happy accidents alive for many reasons, the light was again key for kitties to be, just trying to balance lights/darks/shapes/distance, fun stuff

moebean 'n leisure, thank you both, i will check that thumb!

hoping to get to a moody, rich, sexy brown notion tomorrow, yay

la

D.W. Flint
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Ethereal, I like it...

eyecandy2
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
La, I don't know how to critique your work. You start out with something nice and then you add something to make the painting strange. The colors are nice but I can do without the figure, which I believe you feel is the jist of the painting. I guess that I'm not spiritual enough.

rossmarie
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Love the colours and luminosity of you painting La. The girl seems almost to be floating in the atmosphere and it feels as if you could walk (or fly) right around her. Silver cats and ginger kittens......it's amazing what our imaginations conjure up. What I see up the tree is a pair of dark eyes, some white bushy eyebrows and a white straggly beard. Any advance on that?

Being serious, it is a very attractive painting.

Mike:wave: :evil:

La_
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
thanks, flint = )

ah, phil, we are different artists you and i, but i understand your point about the figure ... perhaps you would choose a different subject, perhaps another tree to fill the space, or a deer or rabbit, or perhaps you would have called it complete without anything there ... nothing wrong with that at all and i thank you for commenting even though it's difficult to fathom

hey mike, thanks, glad you enjoyed long enough to find treasures in the shadows ; )

la

starrwd
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
I like her white. :) I think that it balances out the large, light cloud that is sweeping over at the right.

Coen1
02-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Like this painting. The telling of a story in paint and everyone makes his own telling: you've achieved a lot. Of course I made my own.
One thing is troubling me: the tree 'should' be as hard-edged as the girl is.

AllanFink1960
02-21-2013, 05:14 AM
What a charming colorful painting.
I think this has a place in the world just as it is.
However had I done this image myself I would have tried to play with the two sources of light with higher contrasts and long shadows. I would have made the figure bigger in the composition and lit her from the sunset, then had the glowing lantern light her from the front/side as a second light source. The shadows would be more contrasting and the lights lighter.
As it is now, you kind of have the woman lit from a flashbulb ON the camera, which gives it kind of a "snapshot" kind of effect.