PDA

View Full Version : Strutting the Corn Rows - WIP

mollerman
01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Haven't done an oily in almost a year, but couldn't resist this subject. Not quite finished, but I thought I would see if I could get any input before I go further? 11" X17" on Art Spectrum using Sennelier oilies...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2013/213244-IMG_3809-001.JPG

CarlyHardy
01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Looking good! The snow looks really cold and deep...great color on the bird. Watch cutting off the lower right corner with that tall stalk....I thought it was bamboo! But I saw the title was corn :)

Looking forward to the completed scene!

mirizar
01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Looking great marcus!

RainySea
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
looking great, nice color in the bird

mollerman
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Carly-I cropped a bit more off the right side than what's there but immediately discovered I had gone too far. I'll have to chop that stalk down a bit more. Corn stalks do look a bit like bamboo shoots.
Thanx Michelle and BJ for the nice comments!
I did most of this in one sitting but have been slow finishing this off, not my normal. Should finish this off with just a little bit of energy!

fishfan
01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
You're brave, Marcus. I once had a photo of a mallard in the reeds which I thought would be a nice painting. My bird looked more like a decoy....wooden. You've got movement here which helps immensely. I also like the blue in the snow shadows. Should ther be any shadows from the corn stalks?

Flycatcher10
01-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I like it Marcus - you've built up nice shadows w/n the corn stalk. Is this a pheasant, the feathers are great colors. Looking forward to seeing the finish.

SammyH
01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
What a beautiful, colorful bird. He definitely appears to be strutting. This is shaping up very nicely.

Yannse
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't know what is oily,but this one looks nice. specially ,outside are all white here. I really wish there are some birds fly into my garden.

Mikenoss
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm not familiar with how corn sticks would look (or for that matter,snow) but I certainly like the attitude and the colours you have achieved with the bird. Did you scrape out the small white specks on the wings? :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Great bird and he is moving through the corn rows, a feeling of action. It does look cold.

Pat

mollerman
01-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Think I am going to call this one finished.

Corn grows in sections and does look much like a bamboo shoot. Picked fields of corn can have different looks depending on the method or machinery used to pick the fields. Sometimes the stalks are tall or stubby. There may be leaves left on the stalks or none at all. Pheasants and turkeys are often spotted in picked corn fields that haven't yet been plowed under and they feed on left over corn cobs or bits of kernels left behind. I have seen many song birds also feed along the edges of the fields, usually not far from tree cover. The day I took the photo of this bird for reference, I spotted 14 pheasants all roosting in a lone tree. I suspect a fox or other predator may have been in the area looking for a meal as it is uncommon to see pheasants in a tree, especially so many. This beautiful, colorful bird is very popular hunting game in my area.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2013/213244-IMG_4018-001.JPG

stee71
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Great colourful pheasant, we usually only get to see them as roadkill round where I live, they seem to lose all road sense in the spring.

roy-p
02-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Lovely... you got the sweeping lines in his form, and the attentive, strutting motion so well :thumbsup:

Frostie
02-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Marcus,
Beautiful. The colours in the snow are lovely and I really like how the beautiful pheasant is strutting across the scene.
Helen

Flycatcher10
02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Beautiful colors on your pheasant Marcus - I also like his purposeful strut. I've not seen them in trees, that is unusual.