PDA

View Full Version : Dr Ph Martin masking fluid

mirizar
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Anyone use the Dr Ph Martin masking fluid (frisket)? It is the only one that says AP non-toxic at Dick Blick and I am looking for a non-toxic one.

Thanks
Michelle

CharM
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I've used it on Strawberry Wine's (Gail's) recommendation, Michelle... I had no problems with it. But, I can truthfully say that I typically use Pebeo...

mirizar
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info Char! The Pebeo one has a CL label unfortunately because I've heard it's one of the best ones :(

juneto
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Didn't know they made it .
Toxic to what ?
June

mirizar
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM
June, I don't know what ingredient(s) the Pebeo one contains that are toxic, but I have a medical condition that causes chemical sensitivity and I'm trying to avoid anything toxic. Dick Blick's website lists it as CL but I don't see much information on its MSDS.

The Winsor and Newton one and other ones with the CL label contain ammonia, which is a definite no-no for me.

However, I must say that the AP non-toxic label is not always accurate I've learned the hard way. I developed a bad headache and dizziness while using an oil painting medium, which is supposedly ACMI AP non-toxic, yet one of its main ingredients is clearly neurotoxic (can affect the central nervous system causing headaches, dizziness, etc.).

Strawberry Wine
01-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Michelle,

I really like the Dr Martins. It has no smell and comes off easily when the painting is bone dry. The size of the bottle we can get here at Curry's is small 1 oz. but it does go a long way. If you can get a larger size go for it. I see on the label it is made by Golden.

Cheers,

Gail

mirizar
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Gail

Thanks a lot for the response! I like that it is made by Golden!

HarvestMoon
01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I need to try this too! Is it super white? I prefer off white ones that I can see better to remove. Had no idea the others were toxic but I also would like to avoid those.

mirizar
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Some clearly say CL (toxic) on DB. Others dont say anything one way or another.