PDA

View Full Version : First time using gouache

jdon4
01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2013/11051-001_600x420.jpg

Like quite a few people that are just getting aquainted with gouache,and after reading and then seeing the beautiful works of art by so many talented artists on WC, I bought some gouache paints.

This is a 5"x7" portrait of Ben, my cat, on a Canson 140 lb. watercolor sheet, using M. Graham Gouache paints.

I really like using gouache paints and will be experimenting more.
Critiques most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Artist_by_Accident
01-22-2013, 05:36 AM
Wow, for someone who says they're new at gouache, this is remarkable. Are you usually a watercolorist? I haven't had time to really experiment with gouache but really like using it and think practice is the key to learning it.

jdon4
01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Artist by Accident: I've been doing colored pencil for many years, and reading all I could on WC about gouache, thought I'd give it a try. Even read somewhere one can combine the two mediums.

Thanks for the compliment.

Deborah Secor
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Beautiful painting, Donna! You clearly know your way around composing, how to paint cats and those eyes! Wow.

I hope you'll join us over in the Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio. Here's a link to January's thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302440). :wave:

jdon4
01-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Deborah Secor: Thank you for the very nice comment you made of my painting.

I went to your website, and am in awe of your paintings, and the way you demonstrate how-to-do some of those same paintings. Very Nice!

karenlee
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Gee you sure did great on your first gouache! I can hear Ben purring. The gouache was beautifully handled, especially at the top of his head; I don't think that could be done in watercolor, although you have a watercolor feel in your technique here. More cats! More gouache!

jdon4
02-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Karenlee: Thanks you for your nice comment about Ben. I did use the gouache like watercolors on some areas, to blend in some of the colors
on his fur.

meglyman
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Great job for your first time! Colored pencils can definitely be used on top of gouache to add texture - I've done it before. They can help "finish" if you end up with a surface that's not evenly textured.

Merritt
02-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Nice first attempt to using gouache. When painting gouache you can like oil paint paint from dark to light on top of each other always remember to let the painting to fully dry before putting the next colour over the top ;o)

jdon4
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
meglyman: Thanks for the advice on using colored pencils on top of gouache.
Haven't tried it yet, but know I will in the future. Went to your
site to have a look around. Very nice.

Merritt: That's one of the things I like about gouache, starting out with the
dark colors first, of going over them if I make a mistake.:eek: