PDA

View Full Version : Gouache, where have you been all my life?

Myah
01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Last night I finally quit reading everything I could find on gouache and sat down to try it. I love it! I did a lot of experimenting to see what it would do and it was so much fun. I know what I'm going to be doing this year!

It's odd that I've been making some kind of art or another all my life, and I've been to 2 art schools and have never even heard anyone mention it. All I knew was it was dull looking paint that no one used.

The only things I don't like are the cost of the little tiny tubes and the complete lack of surface texture.

Artist_by_Accident
01-22-2013, 05:42 AM
I think experimentation is the key to this medium. You may not have heard about gouache before because it was considered an illustrator's medium and I don't think was used much for anything else for a long time.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

ABA

LarrySeiler
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
you can paint with spots of color...and get a sense of texture, just don't paint with thin washes like watercolor. Secondly...while I use and like Holbeins best, Richeson makes available twelve Yarka pods of gouache, a set for about $17 or less...which is a good way to go. Its what I order for my high school art students to use...

Deborah Secor
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi Myah! I fell in love with gouache just a few years ago, too. The proof is in the using--it's so very versatile. You can achieve some texture by using it somewhat thicker, but also play around with the kinds of textural effects you can achieve with dry brush, stippling, etc, not to mention painting on a textured surface.

And join us over in the Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio. Here's a link to January's thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302440). :wave: