PDA

View Full Version : Security of Internet connected devices

Yorky
01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I have just watched this documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okhfDsKmAoY&feature=player_embedded) on Youtube about the way that internet connected devices such as network attached drives (NAS) can give worldwide access to your private information.

Scary.

The lesson is use a password!

Doug

Scene Chaser
01-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Very useful information, Doug. I know my next printer will probably be wireless, so thanks.
Bill

Mike3839
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the link Doug. We have the entire house wireless. I'll be busy in the next few days digging out manuals and setting some passwords.

Mike

WthrLady
01-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Not only a password but a GOOD PASSWORD! Don't just use words, use numbers and symbols. Make it long.

Just sayin. Everything in this house is wireless; all 4 main computers, the iPad, the laptop, Rokus, and the cell phones. You would be amazed at the number of UNsecured wireless systems that I have access to. Half my nieghbors are running unsecured systems. It's insane! (and every one of them should KNOW better!)

Where my mom lives they've actually caught people driving up and down streets trolling for open connections to hack! (this was 10 years ago, but I bet it is still happening!)

M.L. Schaefer
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Doug, thank you for sharing this. AND, I do believe, cameras connected to one's computer are very high risk, too! It's a bit scary, huh?!?

I have a little notepad (which only I have access to!) in which I have my passwords: just a notepad with lots of other junk in it, best foods for my recovery, addresses of dear friends, and then just lots of junky stuff, scribbles, notes on pigments, just stuff I would have once upon a time torn out and thrown away. Instead, I've left them in the Notepad (a REGULAR paper note pad). AND nothing like the word "Passwords" written on it :lol: ! Abbreviations for everything. And I don't carry it with me everywhere I go. I've also transposed certain symbols which I alone know, so if someone were to "find" the notebook, they would not be able to use it anyway! i.e.: if the @ sign were a symbol I used often, I would put an x in its place....or an & sign.....

and, of course, I don't keep anything of the sort on a document stored on my computer.:evil:

:heart: Margarete

Yorky
01-22-2013, 11:18 AM
In case anyone thinks that spam is harmless check out this site. (http://ask-leo.com/whats_in_it_for_the_creators_of_malware.html?awt_l=FObvF&awt_m=J5e3tymPeZdfbL)

Doug

M.L. Schaefer
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Very scary, Doug! Especially about the key strokes! I never open SPAM email...try not to visit questionable sites, and hope that my Anti-Virus-Malware protection will work!

This is very important for people to read, especially when some many folk have their everyday devices unprotected and without passwords.

I guess having a special little notebook doesn't do a bit of good if someone can hack into your keystrokes! But I'll keep the notebook and hope for the best!

:heart: Margarete