PDA

View Full Version : 10 landscapes in 20 days

adamsaso
01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I have started little project... I want to make 10 small landscapes 14cmx21cm (5,5inx8,2in) in 20 days.

First I thought about one in one day but I would lie to myself at the begining :)

Today I started one and I will finish it tomorrow. Some I will post as WIP some as finished, but most important thing for me is to develop and get as much experience as I can... so please fell free to comment and critique.

Thanks and enjoy :)
Adam

Flycatcher10
01-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Good luck and we'll be here to help you work through the landscapes. I can't wait to see them, I'm sure you'll find the exercise interesting, fun and most of all filled with lots of learning on this journey of yours.

adamsaso
01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Mary, I will do my best.

I have found some time today to finish first piece.

Paper, 14x21cm (posted picture is almost same size as original piece), VanGogh OPs.

C&C welcome.

Adam

CarlyHardy
01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Great start!! We'll keep the encouragement coming and you keep the oilies painting!

Pat Isaac
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
It is a great start and it is always a good thing to do to challenge yourself. On Jan. 2 I joined a challenge to do 30 paintings in 30 days....keeping up pretty good and keeping it small helps. I'll cheer you on.

Pat

Flycatcher10
01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Adam: Nice beginning to #1 painting. A couple of questions of things that I'm noticing that aren't reading right to me.

The hillside - is that what it is. I'm confused here because the rocks I think are leading (pathway) to somewhere and the hill seems to over power. It looks as though the hillside goes straight up, is there any incline to this? If not, then I would reduce either the hillside or the rocks/boulders so the viewer can understand better the scene you are working on.

Wonderful work on the tree branches and trunks, and great job with the right-side tree leaves nice coloring and depth.

Great sky - nice blend of colors.

Looking forward to the next.

adamsaso
01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
The pathway is going down and to the left that is my idea :)
The hill is actually mountain covered by trees at all its surface... but I will change it by adding some more texture on it and some bare rocks to show what is it actually.

Thank you Mary for comments, after I spent some time on painting I do not see what is wrong or right so I really appreciate C&C.

Adam

adamsaso
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I did not have to find time to correct first one because its 4th day and it was time to finish the second :)

Here is 2nd landscape with VanGogh OPs on paper 14cmx21cm (5,5inx8,2in).

C&C welcome.

Adam

Reference is from November landscape challenge:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295994&highlight=November+landscape+challenge

Pat Isaac
01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
You are doing quite well with the VanGogh OPs. I'd add a little blue or purple to the shadow across the road. Right now the chroma is a little high and shadows are usually cool. I like the distant mountains.

Pat

adamsaso
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
In reality painting is not glowing with yellows so much, my camera is not to good to take art pictures. I realized that these are so small that I scan it so please see scanned no.2.

Flycatcher10
01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Very nice painting Adam. The whole scene is appealing, nice work on the shadows they look better, wonderful work on the trees, and I really like your mountain range it has good definition and crevices. Only thing is the back end of the track area it looks like it drops off instead of continuing on through the woods, you could probably fix with a slight adjustment.

This is a nice piece.

RainySea
01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
A wonderful challenge for yourself... I especially like the trees on the last one.

adamsaso
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
3rd piece... I thought that it will be possible to some more details on grass but i use only thick sticks and it would take to much time to make every grass separately :)

On every piece of paper I use burnt sienna wash first (with acrylic paint).

C&C welcome

Thanks
Adam

Flycatcher10
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Beautiful painting Adam, #3 is real nice. I like the variation in the grass blades, just a tiny bit more of lower values in the bottoms of the clumps of grass would help ground them.

Nice trees in the background, texture - color and variation. I also like the form and bulkiness of the rocks, consider adding a some medium darks on the rocks for a little more texture.

Wonderful painting!

Also the birch trees, great thickness and angle of trunks consider adding more darks up and down the trunk to show the texture of a birch tree. And the branches need to be thicker - they are resembling grass blades. Both of these are quick fixes that should take no time at all.

Pat Isaac
01-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Nicely done Adam and the grasses are handled very well. I would add some more value overall with a ceter of interest....not sure which direction the light is coming from.
Pat

Yannse
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Good job! You are making deadline and giving pressure for your self. Feel free to to paint something that you love, follow your passion,time is not everything.

scottishwifie
01-28-2013, 05:54 AM
This is a fantastic idea, to do lots of small paintings they are beautiful, what type of paper are you using, I like all of them, what are your thought on the Van Gogh oil pastels, I use Caran d'ache neopastels nearly all the time now I do have some Sennelier's as well, keep going all the best Lesley

Mikenoss
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
You have set an interesting task for yourself. Braver than me. I am just a slow worker. I admire your initiative.

adamsaso
01-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Mikenoss... I am also slow worker, thats why sometimes I did not want to seat on painting because i know I do not have enough time, thats why I was leaving my paintings not tucher for days (or weeks). This is challenge to push myself to organize my time better :)

scottishwifie... Van Gogh are rather hard and do not blend to good so sometimes its hard to go with details especially with light colors like yellow green or light yellows and ochre. I bought set of 60 at the begining so I want use them, but I am thinking about buying senneliers for details and keep Van Gogh for "mass" painting.

Yannse... paining really makes me forget about all world around :)

Pat... I have made some corrections on light as soon as I will find time to scan it I will post adjusted piece.

Flycatcher10... I have also corrected some branches but I was bit afraid to not to loose effect of smooth main tree, but I think it worked fine.

I will try to post changes on previous paintings today, I also have new piece. Unfortunatelly I have missed one on weekend but I hope to make one more this week.

PS. Pat I have seen your 30 in 30 days and I really admire that you keep up with every day painting with OPs, I love birds, actually my surname is Sikora in english it means Chickadee/Great Tit bird.

Adam

SammyH
01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Adam, this is an ambitious challenge and you are doing so well. I'm enjoying your landscapes.

Pat Isaac
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for looking in at my blog, Adam. I did that challenge for the same reason that you are doing it. I will have only done 24 of the 30 by the end, but that's good for me. Looking forward to your next challenge painting.

Pat

adamsaso
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Hello,

Here is corrected 3rd piece and new 4th one.

Adam

Pat Isaac
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Nice strong painting now. I like the changes.
You are moving right along...where is this 4th piece?

Pat

Flycatcher10
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Wonderful Sikora!!! I love your changes - you are making remarkable progress. Looking forward to your next.