PDA

View Full Version : What to do...?

jstarn
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll be leaning heavily on peer pressure to keep me going on this project, so I have a question for all you wonderful persevering people. :angel:

I've bound 12 sketchbooks of different paper, to explore one Element or Principle of Design for the next 12 months (:eek: ). What I'd love to know from you who are not lurkers like me...should I create one thread and just keep going with all 12 sketchbooks? Or start a separate one for each Element/Principle? Which is easier for you to follow? (Again....peer pressure! I'm trying to lure you all in for my own devious ends.....:lol: )

Leaning toward 12 separate ones as they emerge, but...what do you think?:confused:

Also....:eek:

RainySea
01-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Hello Jasmine,

I will be eager to see your work! As for how to present it, I think it depends. Are you going to be working on one or two elements (thus books) at a time? Or all twelve at once?

jacquip
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you have set yourself a big project there, well done and good luck with it. I look forward to seeing what the elements are and how you approach it.

You will have seen that we all do things our own way here. I have one general thread with lots of different stuff in it, and have just started a separate thread for a specific project I have started. Do what you feel comfortable with and how you like to be organised.

DrDebby
01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Hi Jasmine, welcome to Art Journals. This sounds like an ambitious project.

I think Rainy has a good question. Are you doing these one at a time? Or are you working on them a bit in one and a bit in the other? You can do it either way. If you'd like to have a different thread for each book (kind of done in sequence, one every month), then go for it. Or if you'd like to just keep posting to the same thread for the whole of the project, that would work too.

The only thing I would ask, if you choose to have a different thread for each book is that you don't start the thread until you have something to show. That way, we won't have 12 new threads all on the same day from one person.

Gloppus
01-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Welcome, Jasmine.
You'll get plenty of encouragement as long as you aren't lurking.
I'm looking forward to seeing your journals.

jstarn
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh, thank you, nice people! That was very helpful. I'll be doing something like this:

January- Line (Ugh. I am not enjoying LINE)
February- Shape
March- Texture
Form-April
Unity-May
Point/Line/Plane- June
Balance -July
Hierarchy-August
Scale- Sept
Dominance-Oct
Similarity-Nov
Contrast-Dec.

And then next year I figured I'd take the whole year to explore Perspective and Colour.

Since they will be consecutive, Maybe DrDebby is right, and I can start them separately at the beginning of each month.

You know that whole"Biting off more than you can chew" idea?

I may have just bitten into a pumpkin. But if it works, I'll be MUCH more satisfied with my skills at the end of the year than I am right now. Nothing like writing your own curriculum!

Thank you all for the support; it's so delightful to watch the progress of others. Maybe my wobbles will inspire someone as you have inspired me!

Carole A
01-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Jasmine ~ What an ambitious plan you have, and it will be a fantastic learning experience. It's probably something that would be valuable to everyone - if we could stick to the plan.

I'm looking forward to seeing your books, and to being inspired.

Carole A

Scattykat
01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
oh my, so organised, really looking forward to seeing how you progress, love to see pics of your hand made journals too...

DrDebby
01-19-2013, 05:35 PM
That sounds great, Jasmine. Looking forward to seeing your work. And, not so incidentally, those hand made books. :)

Studio-1-F
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh, thank you, nice people! That was very helpful. I'll be doing something like this:

January- Line (Ugh. I am not enjoying LINE)
February- Shape
March- Texture
Form-April
Unity-May
Point/Line/Plane- June
Balance -July
Hierarchy-August
Scale- Sept
Dominance-Oct
Similarity-Nov
Contrast-Dec.

And then next year I figured I'd take the whole year to explore Perspective and Colour.

Since they will be consecutive, Maybe DrDebby is right, and I can start them separately at the beginning of each month.
Wow! That is really quite the pumpkin, as you say. Bravo to you, Jasmine! :thumbsup: I agree with you that each month ought to be it's own thread. This will be great fun for you to do! I look forward to it.

EDIT: Hey! Wait a minute! It's already the 20th! Where is "Line"? I don't see that thread here. . . . :evil:

Jan

mhimeswc
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I agree with each element having it's own thread. I will be checking in, as I love "elements of design" projects. I do one almost every year with one of my grandkids as they try to earn art badges and pins for Cub Scouts, and I did one myself that was pretty fun to do.

jstarn
01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Ah, the guilt, the guilt, Jan! I have the pictures, I promise..and I'll have to put e'm up because I'm slacking. I made no rule about having to sketch every day (i know myself bette than that!), just that each of the approx 30 pages had to be filled....and of course I have catching up to do.......

ETA: Wait, see that? The peer pressure is already working!:clap: Thank you! I'll get right on it!

Joan T
01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Doing a separate journal each month would probably work best. This sounds like a fun project for you to do and for us to follow.

vhere
01-23-2013, 04:40 AM
This is a very left brain way of exploring!

I would have recommended using all/any of those elements in each drawing but focussing on the particular aspect (line etc) you are studying. You won't find it such a chore and you'll learn to integrate the elements.

Are you looking at relevant artists for each? (Not just the how to books) Like Egon Schiele, Aubrey Beardsley, Toulouse Lautrec for line? You will see how the line is crucial but they don't rule out a little tone or colour and how they suggest texture, muscle, weight etc

jstarn
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
vhere that's a very accurate observation. I responded to it in unnecessary length and detail in the new, official thread!

I'm not looking at relevant artists at the moment, but that's... a really good idea. Although I think over time it will end up more like you describe, with everything in all of the sketches, just trying to focus on the one aspect. I'm already running into that problem :P

Right now I'm playing with the idea of exploring manga or animated images for their use of line, but I like the idea of looking at particular artists.