PDA

View Full Version : Fallen

LaurenMichele
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w455/KristenPoppy/DSCN0648_zps5853868c.jpg

This is my WIP, painted in oil. I have never done a peice i would deam good enough to be classed as "sellable". Would really apreciate some advice on how to make this one my first sellable peice!

Octopus Inc.
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
That's a tough question... Sellable art is such a subjective thing. Often times garbage will sell for a fortune while good art goes all but unnoticed. I have the good or bad fortune, depending on how you look at it to live in Los Angeles so I'm exposed to the art hype scene constantly, and believe me it drives me mad. I really think if you want to be an artist in this world you've got to love what you do, go with your gut and be your own toughest critic. That way once you call a piece complete, You'll be happy with it. And chances are if you like it, others will too. Unless you're just too far out there, then you may be on your own.
Anyway, I like what you've got going so far, but where did his/her face go? Looking away, hair streaming up one side obscuring the face...? I'd like to see a little more distinction between the body and background and maybe some more time spent on the hands and feet. Learning to love a challenge will do wonders for your work. Have fun, and good luck with all that you do.

Andrewcody
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
I agree with Octo. What will sell and what won't is completely subjective, having your art somewhere to be seen where it might be purchased is a completely different problem whether it may be commercial prospect or not. If something is cheap enough there is a chance for a sale, however, some art work cannot even be given away free - trust me I tried that with a friend.
I was trying to make sense of your painting, the hair as Octo says is a problem, also the flatness of the back, for a falling (Angel, Winged person) this is unlikely, I would have like to see some more animation in the figure.
Regards
Andrew

LaurenMichele
01-18-2013, 04:16 AM
The fact that she is faceless is purposefully done. I originally painted just the outline of the body with just enough shading to realise that it is suppose to be a body. Anyway, i then decided i wanted more detail, any help on how i can get the lines more crisp around the body so it doesnt blend into the background like it is at the moment? I am also going to add more depth to the feathers once it is dry enough to add another layer, and feathers discarded around.
I will take your advice onboard though and make the body more life like. What exactly about the hair is bothering you? The reference i used (a photo), her hair covered all of her face, i didnt want it covering all of it so i changed it a little,.. but i still like the idea of her being faceless, i dont know why because i'v never done a faceless figure before..

LaurenMichele
01-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Oh, forgive me... Thankyou both so much for your comments and suggestions, i really apreciate the help :)