PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Pink roses

mirizar
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi all! Here is my latest OP painting. It is based on image from the PMP. It's on 15X20 inch illustration board (with clear gesso and watercolor underpainting). I used Mungyos, Erengis & Sennelier white.

When I compare it to the reference image I see so many faults. It's so hard to capture all the subtle color variations in a rose with just 6-8 reds/pinks/purples. It would have been much easier in other media.

C&C are welcome. I already noticed that I need to soften the purple to red transition in the petals shaped like a sideways heart in the middle rose. I'll also get rid of the thing that looks like a spider on the left between top and middle rose...and add some green there...

Sorry for the blurry image :(

Thanks, Michelle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2013/31994-roses.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
This is looking very good, Michelle. You have captured the shininess of rose leaves and the rose petals are coming along. Maybe some darker values in the bottom rose.

Pat

stee71
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Oh Wow, WIP !! i'd be happy to call this one complete, Michelle you are turning into a one woman Oil Pastel painting machine, The roses are fantastic and I think you must be being too hard on yourself cus' the 'issues' that you see look fine to me. the glossy leaves are excellent as is the fantastic sense of light, the composition is quirky but i think it really works. Your best piece yet? I think it is a certainly a contender for the title.

mirizar
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Pat and stee for your nice comments!

DerRickster
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Mirizar...when are you giving art classes...cause I really want to know your technique with this work.

mirizar
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks DerRickster! Just the same as usual. Using the harder Erengis for bottom layers and Mungyos and Sennelier for upper layers and highlights. I did a good drawing first and painted one petal at a time.

For the background I started with indigo Erengi in most areas then used Mungyos and Senns for lighter areas. I am addicted to indigo!

Flycatcher10
01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Very nice painting Michelle, you've done some wonderful work on the rose petals and leaves. Your background colors are really beautiful and indigo (as your go-to) works so well in this floral because of it's deep color.

At 9x12 this is a stunner - the two areas you don't like weren't noticeable, but once you pointed them out you'll probably want to do a slight tweak if you can w/o damaging the painting.

Congratulations, this is one of your best with oil pastels.

OPs are fantastic for florals, Sammy and Tatiana both do wonderful florals w/the medium.

SammyH
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Michelle, this is a super beautiful painting. Great colors and values. Pat's suggestion that you darken the bottom rose would put more emphasize on the top two.

mirizar
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks Mary and Sammy!
Mary--this is actually 15x20 inches! One of my biggest to date,

Yannse
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
This is really good! You mixed the watercolor and oil pastel wonderful! Great job! I think this one is your best so far . It looks like oil painting--more detail, without the loose style of oil pastel. On the other side, I saw some of your landscape . I can feel the passion inside your landscape. I really think this one is really great,but your style seems changed,:confused: :wink2:
Forgive my English , I still learn it.

mirizar
01-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks Jiemin! Yes, I do paint different subjects differently and also depending on the medium...still trying to find a style...I have always been a tight painter but I'm trying to get loose. I enjoy both styles though. I love everything in art from hyper-realism to abstracts..I'm weird like that...but then I'm an Engineer and also an artist. Yes, I know, makes no sense...and when I do some brain tests, it turns out I have half a woman and half a man brain ;) LOL!

CarlyHardy
01-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Beautiful! I think it would look great as a horizontal too. Only thing I notice is the purple spot in the upper right...make it background leaves too. Lovely color transitions and beautiful texture over all!

mirizar
01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks Carly! Got rid of that purple spot!

lalflen
01-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Wow, wow, wow! How did I miss this one!
Great job!

mirizar
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks Linda!

mirizar
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Here is a good picture of the final:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2013/31994-_MG_1158.jpg
Thanks everyone for the comments!

mirizar
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I entered this oil pastel painting ("Pink Trio") into the Daniel Smith art contest AGAIN. Could you please vote again daily for the entire week?
Thanks!!!!

http://www.danielsmithblog.com/?page_id=3918#view/7616/1063171

artsask
02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Nice painting

Trudi

imhappy
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
This is simply awesome. They flowers have come out so nice and look so real. Well done. Hope you won the contest!