PDA

View Full Version : Colourful Wellington Heads WIP

gnu
09-05-2003, 10:11 PM
the harbour entrance area to Wellington, NZ ..
canvas 20 x 24" approx
the first large painting in my colourful series(I've done some thumbnail ones)
lots of cloud about..more impact wanted here, than realism..still I may have to clarify the light source..from the left in foreground and looks like from right in BG..??? opinions??
any helpful suggestions appreciated..
the main object in this series is to use more pure colours(no blending), and work roughly in rainbow order starting from purple/indigo in BG, ending with red/yellow or orange in immediate foreground, regardless of how unrealistic this is..hence...colourful!! :D:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2003/7242-colourful_wgtn_heads.jpg

Marty C
09-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Hi Gnu,
This is a big impact, dramatic painting. I'm sure it will be stunning when finished. I agree that more work re light source is needed, the background does look like the light is from the right, reinforced by the darkening sky to the left and the darkening far background land, also to the left. Your foreground shadows are all to the right. However I like you foreground work the best so I'd suggest working on the background for light source definition as I find the large white cloud a little incongruous with the rest of the dark sky.
Also, I find my eyes getting stuck on the strong yellow in the foreground, I do like this area but I also get hung up here.
Hope some of this helps, keep posting as I LOVE strong color. Should be a great series.:)

Ivyleaf
09-06-2003, 12:23 AM
This will be a fascinating series I think!

You're off to a great start here it looks like.

:) :) :)
Ivy

gnu
09-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks you guys for adding your thoughts..:)
I have been thinking I will add to the cloud base with colour..
also I think I'll lighten the sky a tad, but it will be much easier to change the foreground as it's very loose and easy for me to do this..I 'll just swap the sadows over, add more yellow, then work on the oranges, reds and lime green for the foregound....Marty..it gets brighter ;)