PDA

View Full Version : The bather (WIP)

painterlight
01-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Attached is an oil painting I've been working on. I posted the grisalle layer a few weeks ago too.

What do you think so far? What are the issues?

The is the first "environmental" painting I've done.

The bottom appears yellower here than IRL. Where could it use help?

:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2013/1170459-bather2.jpg

mewbie
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
wow, I love your light scheme and colors,
do you plan it to be more blended ? It would be lovely to see the atmosphere hanging on with candle and steam smoke from the water.. :)

I dont know about the composition, seems to be read from center to right, ah dead end, no, better start from candle to the bather.. but it seems the bather blocking in... I just confuse.. hmm

other than that it's amazing ..

Trumper
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
wow, I love your light scheme and colors,
do you plan it to be more blended ? It would be lovely to see the atmosphere hanging on with candle and steam smoke from the water.. :)

I dont know about the composition, seems to be read from center to right, ah dead end, no, better start from candle to the bather.. but it seems the bather blocking in... I just confuse.. hmm

other than that it's amazing ..

I have to agree,a build up of steam through a light source thinning out as it gets away could be a way of altering the composition,lovely work :)

Dana Design
01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Would the candle light also be apparent on the back of the bather's head?

It looks like the start of a narrative painting but I'm not sure what the bather is doing thus can't "read" the intent here. Perhaps there is no intent.

I do love the colors you've chosen. Very mysterious.

tamarqu
02-01-2013, 06:23 AM
I think you need to throw the light from the candle up and out towards the bather and add more dark down along the box it's sitting on and diagonal towards the far right of the picture. This will help shift the focus to the bather and not the light source.