PDA

View Full Version : "The Showboat Sensation" -- animation

Brian Barnes
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
This animation is the result of my work seen in the thread TP the frog takes the stage. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298951)

I found it to be the most challenging of my animations so far. But of course that was the plan. :D

My brother, Larry, contributed the accordion performance. He still plays ... but I gave up over 50 years ago.

I had to use a lot of "tricks" to get you to believe the stage is horizontal and that TP is standing on it and not in front of it. See if you can figure out what the tricks were. I also wanted you to believe TP is actually doing the accordian playing on stage. Sorry for the dance choreography. I'm not much of a dancer.

xqiz2KEk7Uk

Hope you enjoy it! :)

BrianB

olliewood0702
01-09-2013, 08:14 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whooo great job on this one Brian; well worth the hard work you put into it. I see you used shadows to set TP on the stage. Great accordian work and I think his dancing is wonderful.:thumbsup:

peteralv
01-10-2013, 02:26 AM
A fantastic video, Brian......:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yorky
01-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Brilliant!!!

You did a wonderful job Brian, they get better and better. Love how you did his 2-step to the music.

Doug

painterbear
01-10-2013, 04:58 AM
That is GRRRRRRREAAAAAAATTTT, Brian!

Loved the music selections, the fancy footwork, the story line, and most of all the animation!

I fully believed the frog was dancing ON the stage! Brilliant. :D

Sylvia

Doris345
01-10-2013, 06:02 AM
LOVED IT !!
Really wonderful, Brian.

Doris

CharM
01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
I missed the first version, Brian, but have to say this one is brilliant... You've used shadows to ground him to the stage... and the movement of the shadows as he danced was very convincing! Also convincing, was his accordion handwork... the action of the bellows was spot on...

This made me chuckle and then, I said "Awh" at the very end... Great story.

Strawberry Wine
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Wonderfully entertaining Brian. I smiled through the entire performance.

TP sure knows how to play the accordian and his dancing is not too shabby either. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Gail

wcartistsr
01-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Brian, this is Fantastic! You have outdone yourself with this one. His hand movements were wonderful and I did love his dancing, especially at the end. Wow!

Shirley

indraneel
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

seedy
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Wonderful....They ^^^^have said it all. Now when does he start tap dancing?

FLNH
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't know anything about animation but this was totally enjoyable. Well done.

Dragoon
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
That was FABULOUS!!

I can't believe you did that all yourself!

LOVE the storyline, the songs were great, and it was so beautiful the way you showed the photo that inspired it all! Very touching!

Give yourself (and your brother) a pat on the back!
Thanks for the smile!
D.

M.L. Schaefer
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
THAT was fun! But, then, again, TP is always a hoot! :clap:

So, tricks: Shadows + the structure of the stage when TP stood close to the edge. The shadows as he moved across the stage, while always keeping the bottom of the structure showing in the animation. The shadows as he danced! Very important, the pespective of the stage as it moved back into the stair area! Wonderful diagonals throughout in the stage structure!

Kiwi

tamy
01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
worth the hardwork Brian, fantastic. :clap: :clap: :clap: I echo what have been said about the shadows and perspective :thumbsup:
Tamy

Brian Barnes
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Well it seems my animation got the reception I wanted. :) Thank you to all who commented.

Darla -- You're right. The shadows made a huge difference once I added them. Even in doing a painting, adding shadows is my favourite part of the process because they can make it come to life.

Pedro -- Glad you liked it.

Doug -- Your words are uplifting. Time for me to do a 2-step.

Sylvia -- I'm happy to know that I successfully "fooled" your perception and made you a believer.

Doris -- I'm happy to know that.

Char -- Nice to know you were convinced right down to the emotional level. My wife thought the story line might be a bit too deep ... but not for some, apparently. Glad it worked.

Gail -- You smiled through the whole performance. That's exactly what I wanted. I did too.

Shirley -- Great to hear that was your reaction.

indraneel -- Thank you for the applause.

Seedy -- I was hoping you'd be doing the tap dancing.:D I considered having TP do it ... but needed another song. Felt that another would be too much. TP's first dance steps were supposed to be Gangnam Style but the accordion sort of got in the way.

Karl -- Glad you enjoyed it.

Dragoon -- Yep .. all by myself ... and lots of hours to prove it. Just ask my wife. :lol:

Kiwi -- Your observations are right on. The building shadows and the seams in the stage floor were a natural help I won't take credit for ... but I used them a lot for positioning TP and his shadow. I think allowing TP to move behind the mic and the movement of the mic and footlights as the camera moved also helped make a convincing illusion. The empty stage is not hard for the brain to interpret. It's a natural everyday scene. however,adding TP caused lots of confusion by introducing conflicting information. I did everything I could think of to overcome the conflicts. Apparently they worked.

Tamy -- Glad you added perspective to the list. His entrance onto the stage was to get your brain to accept him into the scene in proper context.

BrianB

juneto
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Brian , I am getting so ditsy these days, that I watched this marvel and either lost my letter or forgot to press send !! I do it with the telephone too , don't hang up, to Louie's consternation .
Once again you have produced a Masterpiece . But This One is So Much Fun I keep fogetting he is a Frog !!!
You get better with each one and they are so unique . I know all the work that goes into these movies and don't know anyone who has your patience to do it .
So Don't stop now , you are on a roll.
Love the Bar scene and the Michael Jackson bit .
MORE,
June:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :wave: :heart:

Brian Barnes
01-18-2013, 04:25 AM
June -- Glad you liked it. :) I have some regular followers who always comment and I get a bit uneasy unless/until I see "the gang's all here".:D I always watch for your name and look forward to your reactions. You say you forget he's a frog. That makes my day. I'll translate it as meaning he's a huge success :thumbsup: because remember ... he's not even a frog ... he's a digital illusion. Oops! Sorry to spoil it for you. :lol:

BrianB

juneto
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Everything you do is with Fun and Humor, you can't spoil anything for me !!
It's a win , win for us all !!
Anyhow ,I know in my heart he's You,Dancin ' and Singing!
Bravo to the Music Master too
June:cat: :wave: :heart:

Brian Barnes
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks June. You put it so nicely! :)

BrianB