PDA

View Full Version : The 365 Drawing Overdose!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DavyJ
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
So my new year's resolution is to create a drawing or sketch every day for the entire year. I've started a blog (http://www.everydayadrawing.com) to post my progress and hold myself accountable but it's a lonely place so I figured I'd also post everything I'm doing here so I can create a record of my progress and hopefully receive feedback along the way to help me improve!

I'm already 5 days in so I'm going to attach the first 5 drawings I have done to this OP but after that I will make at least one post here each day with whatever it is I've drawn. I appreciately HUGELY all constructive criticism as I believe that will be the best way for me to improve.

I haven't drawn for many years and when I did draw occasionally I always considered myself bad at it and I never put any real effort into getting better.

I will allow myself flexibility in what kinds of things I'll draw but my focus at the moment is probably going to be mostly faces and figures.

JTMB
01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the forum! This is a fun and friendly place with lots of different styles, subjects and media. Your self-challenge will be of interest to folks here and can't help but push your skills to a higher level.

jacquip
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Hi there, it is great to see someone push themselves with a specific challenge. I am sure you will get heaps out of it and be lots of enjoyment for us to watch and learn from as well. I really like that first portrait, such strong features, great shading and detail. The bicep sketch is great too, and fun. Look forward to following along with you.

Gloppus
01-06-2013, 02:46 AM
These look good, Davy.
Best wishes on your resolution. I'll be following along as much as possible.
I'm trying to sketch everyday as well, but mine isn't all worth sharing.
I'm sure you will be an encouragement to me.

DavyJ
01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, really kind! I hope I can encourage anybody lurking to do more drawing themselves in 2013 :)

Here's today's sketch. It's from Andrew Loomis' book on Figure drawing. Trying to improve my grasp of proportions.

Side view proportion study. (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/figure-drawing-loomis-side-small.jpg)

I would have uploaded the image directly to the post but it was slightly taller than 800px.

jacquip
01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
The Andrew Loomis books are really good. I have a couple of them myself. Nice work.

RainySea
01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
nice work, esp like the first one!

DrDebby
01-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome to Art Journals. This is an awesome challenge. The sketches are really very good.

Per your request, I will make a comment about the second portrait. The proportions of the length of the head is off. Eyes are about the middle of the face, unless you are making a caricature or cartoon. In which case, please ignore my observation. Then again, if the person in question isn't in proportion, I withdraw my comment. The rest of your drawings look great.

DavyJ
01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Per your request, I will make a comment about the second portrait. The proportions of the length of the head is off. Eyes are about the middle of the face, unless you are making a caricature or cartoon. In which case, please ignore my observation. Then again, if the person in question isn't in proportion, I withdraw my comment. The rest of your drawings look great.

Thanks for the crit! I agree 100%

I think after I've worked through these figure proportions from the Andrew Loomis book I'm looking at I'll work on figuring out and remembering how to get face proportions more accurate. With that one I could feel like it wasn't right' but then I was too invested in detail and it's hard to go back. The solution, I'm thinking, is to get the lines right from the start before I put in any detail and for that a solid grasp of where parts of the face should fall naturally will help a ton!

And it's a picture from a reference of Alan Watts so definitely supposed to be a real person and not a cartoon :)

JennyMK
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Great challenge Davy, only way to improve is to draw, draw, and draw! I once heard one of my art teacher say that to be a good artist you have to put in the same time and effort as opera singers and runners do, you have to practice your skills all the time to improve... I find this a very true statement! Good luck and welcome! ;)

DavyJ
01-07-2013, 05:44 AM
I think your teacher was definitely right Jenny, in fact I think that's the only way to get better at anything! I say practice and hard-work is almost everything. I'm not a big believer in 'talent'.

Day #007

Figure is a bit wide which has made it look kinda stumpy in the legs but live and learn!

DrDebby
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, it's true, practicing is the only way to get better. The observations you are making with each exercise is why practice makes for better drawings. You are utilizing each as a learning experience. What works and what doesn't work. Great practice sketch and observation.

DavyJ
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
DAY #008

Decided to work through the 'drawing a head' segments of ProkoTV. These videos are absolutely fantastic so if you're a beginner like me definitely take a look (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39135B8D190B7C97).

These are what I made kind of 'sketching along' with his instructions in the first two videos of the playlist. Some of them look better than others and I think to really 'get' this concept his suggestion to draw 100 heads from different angles would be the thing to do.

Most people (including myself) do not want to do the boring stuff like that. But it's precisely those things we dont want to do which will give us the biggest results. If you take any field there is a a kind of curve where as people get better the amount of people at that level gets smaller and smaller. I definitely buy into the theory that those at the end of the curve (let's call them the 1%) are the people who are willing to do the things that other people aren't. Drawing a head 100 times is just like that... I wouldn't be surprised at all if less than 1% of the people who have viewed his series actually did that many practices of this concept...

... including me at this moment in time...

Will I step up and join the 1%...

We'll see... but for now here's what I did do while following along:

jacquip
01-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Davy you are making the effort so far towards that 1% which is great. Good sketches, it is hard to follow along with a video.

DrDebby
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Good for you. You are well on your way to that 1%.

Joan T
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
They always say practice, practice, practice.... Good for you that you are working on the body proportions. That is something I should do too. Sketching something every day is a great idea and it will be fun to compare your beginning of the year sketches to the ones later in the year!

DavyJ
01-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys, really appreciate all your positive encouragement :)

DAY 009:

Worked through part 3 of the ProkoTV series. I'll just quote here what I wrote on my blog as to my observations:

When the head is looking up the front of the neck becomes stretched and the back of the neck becomes pinched. You can feel this right now by just looking up. If you strain to look as far back towards the celing as possible youíll feel the resistance as your neck becomes pinched to its maximum. Just remembering this will, I imagine, go a long way to getting those rough outlines of the neck correct when the subject is looking up or down.

Stan Prokopenko suggests not trying to just copy the contour of the face but instead setting down a series of Ďlandmarksí at each point where the line changes. A point for the end of the nose, three points for the lips etc. and only then drawing in the contour line. Trying this my review would be: START DOING THIS IMMEDIATELY. Made it so much easier to draw it accurately (in conjunction with the lines you already have if youíre using the Loomis technique the videos teach) that itís an instant no-brainer for the future. By doing it this way it's much harder to get the proportions out because youíll be able to tell after youíve placed the points if things are right or not and then itís much easeir to erase and move than if youíve drawn in a whole line. Itís also much easier to accurately place a dot than accurately draw a long line.

Looking at my reference picture I just ďgotĒ for the first time that there really isnít a straight line between the head and the neck when looking from the side. Rather the head contour (if you can see it at all) stops about half way and goes up towards the ear. There is unbroken skin from neck to behind the ear. To many people this would be obvious as you can simply feel with your hand that the neck follows up in that wayĖthat the jaw stops below the earĖand yet I have only just realized it now. I think this is what artists mean when they tell beginners to start looking more carefully as pretty much the most crucial fundamental in improving your work.

poochemio
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Applauding your effort. A drawing a day, or more, is the sure way to progress.

RainySea
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Great!! sketching everyday is how I began to draw. . . I always thought I couldn't draw a stick figure accurately but a few years back decided I wanted to try to improve. So I'm still working on it :)

DrDebby
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Great sketches and great notes on your observations and learning. Very inspiring.

JTMB
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Your approach will (already is) paying big dividends. Keep it up!

DavyJ
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Thank you guys, you're giving me a lot of motivation to keep this up :)

Great!! sketching everyday is how I began to draw. . . I always thought I couldn't draw a stick figure accurately but a few years back decided I wanted to try to improve. So I'm still working on it :)

I spent a good 15 minutes on your site. Really like your art and some of your writings were very interesting to me. Great format for a blog!

DAY #010

Double digit days!

Worked on extreme angles today (as per final part of the ProkoTV series) but I found them very hard. I think it will be optimal to do a lot of practice with more regular angles and gradually work out towards the extremes. At the moment I don't have the relationships between parts of the face locked in at all so it's all a bit hit and miss.

eyepaint
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Keep it up. You are inspiring :)

DrDebby
01-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Keep going. You are seeing where you need to work to improve. Excellent.

mhimeswc
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Wow! Nice job on those heads.

DavyJ
01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
DAY #011

Today (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/11/karl-pilkington-drawing/) I thought I'd try to copy another portrait, but using the techniques on head proportions I've been learning as a starting point. I think it came out better than my previous portraits which is good, but there are still lots of mistakes. I'm realising that these rules are only guides and there is no shortcut to putting in the hard-graft of actually seeing what you're drawing and replicating those lines and shades. For example: starting with the Andrew Loomis head technique to begin with will help with proportions and is great but ultimately wether you achieve a decent likeness will depend on the subtle individual differences each individual has. Like the slightly wonky nose or the chin that comes in slightly more than it should.

Basicall all these small details can only be rendered if you've actually noticed they exist and that can only come from taking lots of time and really looking at what you're doing.

The good thing is that by doing that you'll improve.

On this picture a few things I'm happy I rendered close to correctly... most things are clearly out. Anyway, it's Karl Pilkington (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/karl-pilkington-ref.jpg), one of my all time heroes!

DrDebby
01-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I think it's fantastic that you are doing this. Each portrait is getting you closer to seeing and then drawing. Marvelous post.

DavyJ
01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks DrDebby :)

DAY #012

This is a drawing of my sister. To be quite honest it doesn't do her justice... (More explanation why here)

I'm not very happy with it. The nose and hair are the parts that are most out. I did show the picture to my girlfriend though and she correctly identified it as my sister so I guess that's something.

I think the biggest problem here was that I simply rushed and didn't keep working on it until it was right. Did have a busy day though so I wasn't able to keep working on the drawing indefinitely

DrDebby
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Not knowing your sister, I can't say anything about how like her it is. It looks like a great portrait. Has your sister seen it?

DavyJ
01-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I don't think she's seen it yet, I messaged her the link on Facebook. Basically she looks a lot younger in the actual photo so in that way it's a little unflattering!

DAY #013

Worked through this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRmcko) video today about the construction of the eye. I just took notes and paused video and copied the various examples along the way.

It's interesting how much anatomy there is to be aware of even with something small like the eye! Quite fascinating actually.

DrDebby
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Taking notes on a video is a great learning tool. Your sketch notes are super.

Carole A
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
This is awesome stuff Davy. I'm inspired by your dedication, and appreciate so much all of the resources that you are kind enough to share.

How much time do you think you are spending on your project each day? I know I probably fritter away as much every day as you spend drawing.

Carole

DavyJ
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey carole, thanks for your kind words. It's awesome seeing all these positive comments in the thread! It's inspiring me to keep it up :)

The time varies but it's never too long. I'd say typically half an hour to an hour a day. On a few occasions it might have been 90 minutes.

The challenge, however, only requires I spend at least 5 minutes a day.

When trying to form a new habit it's very important to give yourself an easily achievable target. Much better to promise yourself you'll draw for 20 seconds a day and stick to it than commit to 2 hours a day and then miss a day in the first week. If you do the second then you subconsciously you're giving your mind the message "when I take on new habits they never last."

The funny thing is if you just do 20 seconds a day you'll actually end up doing much more than this the vast majority of the time. Humans are funny in that once they start a task they want to finish it. Its getting started that's the hardest part!

Until recently I had a problem of finding it hard to motivate myself to floss. Then I read about starting your habits small so I committed to just flossing ONE tooth every day before I brush. Well of course once you've done one you might as well do the next. I have been flossing every day for months now and I've never actually flossed only one tooth. Go figure...

If anybody is interested I heard about this idea from Stamford Professor BJ Fogg who has a cool little website: http://tinyhabits.com/

#DAY 014

Today I continued with part two of the ProkoTV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtrqSIhZR_Y&list=PLtG4P3lq8RHHFhiyjXP4UT-yUo7pC13GQ&index=2) series on eyes. Not much to add here except that it's harder than it looks! Lots of practice with careful observation is the only way to get better I am quite sure:

regetsref
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Nice work! This kind of daily drilling is one of the best ways to progress your skills, you build a great habit of drawing everyday, which is key to being confident and able, and you put in the hours required to build up your skills as well. Keep it up all year! You'll look back and be amazed how far you came, believe me!

DrDebby
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
More great eye studies. Awesome idea about tiny habit changes becoming big habit changes.

DavyJ
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
DAY #015

Today I copied the shapes in this article (http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/08/direct-light/) and took notes on what he's saying about direct light. Very interesting.

The last object (juggling ball) was my attempt at the end to copy something in my room with an attempt to pay attention to light and shade. It's not very good but was quite fun to do as I could clearly see the parts that made it up like explained in the article which gave the structure some logic to copy from if that makes sense.

DrDebby
01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Good practice and notes.

jacquip
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Good idea to do the shapes and even better that you then applied it to your own object. Great work.

DavyJ
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Day #016

I'm quite happy with how this one came out. I think my proportions and shading is better here than in previous attempts. Any constructive criticism gratefully received.

RainySea
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
well done. . . I especially like how you got the beard so well with few marks and also the markings on his skin really add to the drawing.

JTMB
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Congrats on your dedication to this project! The proportions here do look good to me.

DrDebby
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
The portrait looks really good. You are definitely applying what you are learning.

DavyJ
01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
DAY #017

Decided to begin working through the book 'fun with a pencil' by Andrew Loomis. Available for free here (http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/).

This is pretty close to just copying along pictures and notes as I read the first couple of pages.

DrDebby
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I really like that Loomis book. It's great it's available. Good notes.

DavyJ
01-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Are there any other books you're particularly fond of Debby?

DAY #018

Today I worked along with the next few pages of fun with a pencil.

Also, I got this fantastic advice (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/17/why-you-shouldnt-draw-from-photographs/) about why it's better not to draw from photographs. If you're like me and had never really heard the arguments in favour of drawing from life it should be eye-opening.

DrDebby
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
The only other book I'd recommend is "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It was very helpful to me (still is) because I tend to be very left brained and still struggle with letting the right side do it's thing.

Scattykat
01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
great start on your journal, body proportions are always a good to practice, and attitudes and characteristics, well done. And yep, agree with Debby, good book....

DavyJ
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
So weird. I've had that book recommend to me THREE TIMES now from three different people this week. I haven't had any other art books mentioned apart from the Loomis ones I'd already got hold of. I've ordered it on Amazon and look forward to reading it :)

Carole A
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Davy ~ A good book that I enjoy is Lessons in Classical Drawing by Juliette Aristides. I had borrowed it from the library, then decided that I wanted to own it. I often borrow books and then decide if it's worth the money to have it in my library.

Also, have you looked through the lessons available here on Wet Canvas in the Drawing and Sketching forum? Those could keep you busy for a long time. I also ordered a CD on sale from Interweave press. It's a compilation of all four issues from the 2006 Drawing magazine. They put their dated CDs on sale, cheap. www.interweavestore.com My experience was that they were quite slow on delivery, so if you use that resource, have patience.

I'm enjoying your postings. Keep up the good work.

Carole A

DavyJ
01-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the book suggestion Carole, it looks like a great book. I've added it to my Amazon Wishlist. I will definitely get it at some point soon, probably once I've worked through 'fun with a pencil' and 'drawing on the left side of the brain' which is on its way already. I've also bookmarked the classroom forum... looks like a crazy amount of free information in those lessons! Will definitely think about working through those too. Thank you for both suggestions!

DAY #019

Continued working through 'Fun with a pencil' just copying (loosely) what he's showing and trying to intelligently notice what it is I'm doing. Not sure if I'm succeeding but it's fun (as advertised!) either way :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2013/1171380-fun-with-a-pencil-part-3a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2013/1171380-fun-with-a-pencil-part-3b.jpg

RainySea
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Wonderful cartoon faces!! great practice book

jacquip
01-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Fun with a Pencil is a good book. I like all of the Loomis ones. Certainly looks like you are having fun, which makes it all worth it.

DrDebby
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Glad you are enjoying the lessons in the Loomis book. Looks like your "getting it" and having fun. :)

DavyJ
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
DAY #020

I'll quote what I wrote at my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/):

Day twenty and I thought Iíd take a break from Fun With A Pencil (Iíll continue tomorrow) and draw something from real life. Taking to heart the earlier suggestions to draw from life I decided to do a self-anatomy drawing of my hand. This was a bit more awkward than I thought because I hard to rub out with my free hand but couldnít stabilize the sketchbook with the other in fear I might lose the position. Overall I am beginning to understand already why this is more helpful than drawing from a photograph. Basically when youíre adding detail you can easily see why a line moves as it does. you can move your eye and see that the knuckle curves around, that a certain line dips down because it is concave as it wraps the skin, and so on. Although the picture isnít particularly good I am happy with the proportions of parts of it. The shading could have been a lot better but again, I found it hard to work on the details without being able to use my free hand to hold my pad. I hope that in time I can do stuff like this with a much more sensitive eye and more confident but gentle lines. As ever, Iím sure I will get out of this exactly as much as I put in. Practice, practice, practice!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2013/1171380-020-drawing-of-my-own-hand.jpg

mhimeswc
01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Great hand sketch! Yes, you do learn a lot sketching a hand from life.

DrDebby
01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Excellent hand sketch.

poochemio
01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Feet are good to sketch. If you want to work on the hand have a large enough sketchbook to rest it on and draw it from various angles, also sit in front of a mirror and sketch your own face, a free model! I'm a huge advocate of drawing from life, it's always there around you and costs nothing to sketch.

DavyJ
01-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the tips poochemio, I really appreciate it!

DAY #021

Continued working through 'Fun With a Pencil' today with a couple of shading experiments on two in the top left. Didn't turn out so hot :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2013/1171380-021-fun-with-a-pencil-part-4.jpg

JTMB
01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Great job on the cartoon faces - that does look like a ton of fun! And the hand looks good as well; it's not an easy thing to do.

DrDebby
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Another fun looking page.

Fidgement
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Wow, I look forward to following your progress. You seem to be off to a great start. I've taken several portrait drawing classes and found that I labor over portraits too long. A challenge for me would be to hurry the drawings, but in time it will work out for me. I also tend to work from photos rather than live subjects due to time issues with myself. I've had the Loomis book recommended to me as well, I think its been around for a long time. Keep up the great work :clap:

DavyJ
01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks JTMB. I really like your paintings by the way!

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain arrived today. Seems like a great book already. Gone over the introduction this morning and already excited. Love this on the topic of how drawing allows you to strength the muscle of seeing things as they are without the (left?) brain putting its own filters on things:

"This experience is often moving and deeply affecting. My students most frequent comments after learning to draw are "life seems so much richer now" and "I didn't realize how much there is to see and how beautiful things are." This new way of seeing may alone be reason enough to learn to draw."

Day #022 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/22/day-022-vitamin-d-bottle-pencil-drawing/)

So attempted to draw my vitamin D bottle from life. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. This is the kind of graft I'll have to keep putting in though if I want to experience the kind of shift people like Betty Edwards keep talking about. A bit at a time... a bit at a time:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2013/1171380-022-vitamin-d.jpg

Joan T
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
It is hard to develop a new habit but it looks like you're well on your way. Nice sketches!!! I like the hand especially. Working from life is really important and I like the way you explained how you felt about it. Keep up the good work.

DrDebby
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Good job on the vitamin bottle. You are fantastic on your goal.

vhere
01-23-2013, 04:28 AM
I'm terribly right brained . So the left brain step by step and organisational stuff are what I struggle with!

Good vitamin jar - remember that ellipses get steadily more circular as they get further away from your eyeliner.

DavyJ
01-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Wow, I look forward to following your progress. You seem to be off to a great start. I've taken several portrait drawing classes and found that I labor over portraits too long. A challenge for me would be to hurry the drawings, but in time it will work out for me. I also tend to work from photos rather than live subjects due to time issues with myself. I've had the Loomis book recommended to me as well, I think its been around for a long time. Keep up the great work :clap:

Thanks Fidgement :) Yeah I haven't incorporated the fast sketching into my training yet but have been suggested to do so by several people now. I think it could be very useful.

Good vitamin jar - remember that ellipses get steadily more circular as they get further away from your eyeliner.

Thank you. Your tip in ellipses is well taken and I will try to bare it in mind. I love little practical things like that! Can you explain why this is? Intuitively I would expect them to get less circular!

DAY #023 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/23/fun-with-a-pencil-part-5/)

More faces from 'fun with a pencil' today.

Decided to carry on with another page of faces from Fun with a Pencil (Free PDF Download) today. How many times I was messing up these simple faces (remember, Iím copying these step by step!) was quite humbling. I have a lot to learn. Sometimes I have to fight the urge to go into Ďautopilotí because when that happens is when I stop seeing things as they are and instead start snatching at lines and making shapes based on nothing but vague guesswork. As ever, I get out what I put in!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2013/1171380-023-fun-with-a-pencil-part-5.jpg

DrDebby
01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
You are continuing your journey. Sometimes it's the journey that matters, more than the goal. Besides even on cartoon heads, the foreshortening is a bear.

jacquip
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Great you are keeping up with the drawing and trying new things. Doing a hand from life is a whole new challenge, great job. Like your pill bottle too.

DavyJ
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
DAY #024 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/24/pencil-sharpener-drawing/)

Just a week away from the 1 month point!

I'll quote my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/24/pencil-sharpener-drawing/) rather than paraphrasing it as I woke up too late and I'm behind schedule!

I read the first chapter of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain today and so far itís excellent. Well written, interesting and with lots of great quotes in the margins. Like:

I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is. Ė Frederick Franck

Or this quote from one of her students:

I donít think I ever actually looked at anyoneís face before I started drawing. Now, the oddest thing is that everyone looks beautiful to me.

Inspiring stuff.

Today I drew my pencil sharpener as an experiment in Ďscaling upí. The drawing is probably about 5x larger than the object and by doing this I was able to attempt some finer detail than if I drew to scale. I like how parts of it turned out: the screw, some of the blade and most of the opening where the pencil goes in. I also used these ďPaper TortillionsĒ on my shading for the first time and got results which I liked. They are used to Ďblend iní the shading. You can use cotton-buds or your fingers to do this but these are better to work with, in my opinion. After I was done the drawing definitely had a more finished and professional feel than before I used them. Not to say it looks at all professional now, only that it looks more so than before I evened the shading.

The biggest problems I think are with the perspective a little and some scratchy parts I rushed in and then found hard to get rid of with the eraser without ruining whole chunks of the image and having to start that section all over again. Also, even at the magnified scale, I found it hard to control the pencil accurately enough to capture the tiny specks of highlight which would have given the image a certain life. I think I need a special rubber with a very fine pointÖ I donít know yet if these exist but Iím sure they must do. The one I have at the moment rubs out well but is a bit burdensome in small areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2013/1171380-024--pencil-sharpener.jpg

Joan T
01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Great job on the "scaled up" pencil sharpener. Your shading is super!

regetsref
01-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Nice cartoon heads, starting to show some good form and interesting shapes. Keep going every day, that's the best practice, just draw consistently, make it a habit and it becomes something you need to do every day just like eating and sleeping.

DrDebby
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Great job on the pencil sharpener.

For a small point eraser, find a drafting supply place. (For technical drawing supplies like triangles and circle templates, etc.) Sometimes you can find the supplies in an art store. There is a small metal plate called an erasing shield. It's about the size of a playing card and has a lot of different sized openings, dots, tear shapes, oval, even small thin lines. You erase through the shield and just erase the tiny area you need to remove. I still have mine from when I worked as a drafter before computers took over. :lol:

DavyJ
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Debby. Never heard of that but sounds like a really useful tool. I'm going to the art shop tomorrow anyway so will see if they have one!

jacquip
01-25-2013, 03:37 AM
I like your scaled up pencil sharpener a lot. The screw and pencil opening drew my eye immediately. Scaling up is a great way to be able to more easily incorporate fine detail, great job.

DavyJ
01-25-2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks Jacquip!

I'm working through 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and the author suggests doing three preliminary sketches so you can look back at the end of the book and see what progress you've made:

Self-Portrait
A person, drawn from memory
"My hand"

So I began with a self-portrait.

I didn't take too long on this and I've certainly not flattered myself at all... reference used. (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/brad-pitt-reference.jpg)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2013/1171380-025-self-portrait.jpg (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/25/day-025-self-portrait-pencil-drawing/)

jacquip
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
I think that is a really good self portrait. Totally love your reference image... lol It did actually make me laugh out loud.

I make a point of dating all my drawings so I can look back and see when I did something and compare with todays work. Gives you a good point of reference.

DrDebby
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Wonderful self portrait.

JTMB
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I think the self portrait is fine. A lot of them come out looking very stern, I think because the concentration of doing them shows up in the mirror. Plus, sort of like hearing yourself talk on a recording for the first time - everyone is too critical of the result.

DavyJ
01-26-2013, 07:33 AM
I think the self portrait is fine. A lot of them come out looking very stern, I think because the concentration of doing them shows up in the mirror. Plus, sort of like hearing yourself talk on a recording for the first time - everyone is too critical of the result.

Thanks for this, encouraging points. It's definitely true that we're always most critical of photographs of ourselves so it makes sense the same would hold true of self-portraits. I also found that I would move by small amounts occasionally when I was drawing so when I'd look back things weren't exactly the same. Sometimes I wouldn't notice for a while and things wouldn't "add up" if that makes sense.

DAY #026 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/26/my-hand-middle-finger-raised-drawing/)

Today I drew my hand for a second time (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/20/drawing-my-hand/), as one of the 3 preliminary drawings I mentioned in the last post. I think parts of it are quite nice and a few parts, most notably the middle finger, not so much... I tried to avoid shading too much and just focus on the outline as a few people have suggested to me as good practice for when still at the amateur stage of capturing form.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2013/1171380-026-my-hand-ring-finger-raised.jpg

MartinaL
01-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Your self portrait is great and I really like the Vitamine D3 bottle!

Martina

DrDebby
01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
The hand is super. You're getting the foreshortening of the fingers.

jacquip
01-26-2013, 04:22 PM
You did a great job on the hand, esp for such a hard angle.

vensunn
01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Davy,
I'm enjoying you journey! I think that Betty Edwards is a fabulous art teacher with her "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" as the best self-help art book that I have ever encountered.
I look forward to seeing each new piece that you do. Keep up the excellent drawing!
Steven

Joan T
01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Good job on the sp...they are not easy!

DavyJ
01-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Thanks everyone, your kind words keep me motivated to continue :)

Davy,
I'm enjoying you journey! I think that Betty Edwards is a fabulous art teacher with her "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" as the best self-help art book that I have ever encountered.
I look forward to seeing each new piece that you do. Keep up the excellent drawing!
Steven

Thanks Steven. The more good things I hear about the book the more I feel working through it will be the best thing for me at this stage of my journey!

Today I completed the third of the 'preliminary drawings' and I look forward to seeing what the book prompts me to do next!

DAY #027 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/27/more-fun-with-a-pencil/)

I wrote quite a lot on my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/27/more-fun-with-a-pencil/) today so I'll quote it here:

So the final sketch of the 3 Ďpreliminary drawingsí set by Betty Edwards in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain was completed today. The theme? ďA person, drawn from memory.Ē

Wow! I have zero memory or imagination for anything I have seen ever. It was quite astounding. I wracked my brains for ideas of who I could try to draw. Even family members were not at all clear in my mind. Before even starting I knew I would find it all but impossible to create something even I could recognise as one of my own family. Thatís quite shocking. That I know so little about the intricate details of the faces who raised me and grew up with me.

I suspect that this drawing was suggested by the book for the reason that many people react the same way I did. If learning to see in the way artists see coupled with constant practice could lead to my imagination seeing my loved ones in more detail than ĎI think they have curly hair, eyes and a general face of some kindí then that would be a brilliant result. Until trying this exercise I had not realized how awful my memory of the details really wasÖ in a way it has disgusted me! I believe that if I could get to a place where I was ever able to even recall a face from memory and draw it in a reasonable manner, well I would feel like I had superpowers!

In the end I picked somebody relatively famous who I thought had a face I could recall and I drew him. I wonít say who it is because the picture looks nothing like him and Iím embarrassed! Itís also clear that without a reference I donít have the proportions of the head down very well yet. Some of it is just sloppy like the different gaps between right and left ears and their respective eyes or the weird shape of the lower skull.

After finishing the drawing I felt like I should do some more work so I did another page of cartoons following along with the Andrew Loomis book Fun with a Pencil. Both pages follow:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2013/1171380-027-face-from-memory.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2013/1171380-027-fun-with-a-pencil-part-6.jpg

DrDebby
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Great you are practicing faithfully. The more you do, paying attention, the better you will get. We all have to start somewhere. And, to be honest, I never got beyond cartoon heads in my "human" drawings. So, you are doing great, keep going.

jacquip
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
It is an amazing insight to realise how little we generally look at things. There is a Sherlock Holmes quote about about how he "looks" where as others only see in general terms.... something like that. It opens up a whole new world.
Those cartoon faces are really fun.

atlarock
01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
:wave: Hi Dave,
your post is great you can really see that all your practice and studying are really paying off , from a fellow traveller on their art journey I wish you all the best and remember "when the tough get rough the tough get going":thumbsup:

DavyJ
01-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks atlarock! And I like the Sherlock Homes quote Jacquip :)

DAY #028 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/28/playing-cards-drawing/)

Drawing on the right side of the brain was mostly theory without any exercises so to get my daily drawing done I worked on another still-life: my playing cards.

I'm happy with parts of it and other parts are clearly out of perspective (most obviously, some of the cards at the front are less wide than those coming out of the box which makes no sense at all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2013/1171380-028-playing-cards.jpg

DrDebby
01-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Taking on drawing the playing cards was brilliant. There are exercises in the book, keep going.

DavyJ
01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I didn't phrase that very well. I meant in the part of the book I read today there weren't any exercises but I realize there are exercises to come and I fully intend to follow along with them all :)

DavyJ
01-29-2013, 06:13 AM
DAY #029 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/29/drawing-of-the-brain-black-marker-on-cardboard/)

Continued to read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain which was SUPER interesting. Again, as we'd yet to get to the exercises I decided to draw the brain which was in one of the margins of the book. I tried to do things a bit differently though. I drew it onto cardboard at a larger scale and then used permanent marker to go over it. I think the result is quite cool!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2013/1171380-029---brain---black-marker-on-cardboard.jpg

DrDebby
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
You are right, this turned out very cool.

DavyJ
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
DAY #030 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/30/fun-with-a-pencil-day-7/)

I read some more of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain today, I think we'll get to an exercise tomorrow. For my drawing today then I did another page of faces from 'Fun with a Pencil'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2013/1171380-030-fun-with-a-pencil-part-7.jpg

DrDebby
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
These are very good.

JTMB
01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm continuing to follow along, and am impressed with your commitment. The brain looks great.

DavyJ
01-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Thanks JTMB, I appreciate the support :)

DAY #031

I wrote a lot about today's exercise at my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/31/drawing-picasso-igor-stravinsky-upside-down/) but I'm short for time so I'll paraphrase:

Today I did the first exercise from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain where we are to copy a Picasso drawing of composer Igor Stravinsky but upside down, only at the end turning our drawing right way up to see the results. This apparently helps to turn off the left side of the brain which always wants to intefer and have you draw things how it THINKS they are rather than how they REALLY are. Judging from the result there seems to be something to it because I think my copy is pretty accurate!

Presented here the right way up but I wasn't aware this was exactly what I was drawing until after I was done!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2013/1171380-031-picasso-igor-stravinsky-upside-down-drawing.jpg

DrDebby
01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Brilliant. Looks great.

jacquip
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
I like your brain and excellent job on the upside down drawing.

DavyJ
02-01-2013, 05:20 AM
DAY #032

Into month two successfully!

Did another drawing from an upside down reference. This time this skull study (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/leonardo-davinci-skull-upside-down-reference.jpg) by Leonardo da Vinci.

Not too happy with the result. Looks out of proportion and I ruined it somewhat by doing a thick line around the contour. Valuable lesson: don't do that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2013/1171380-032-davinci-skull-upside-down-drawing.jpg

Scattykat
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I started reading Drawing from the left side of the brain book several years ago, was really enjoying it, but it wasn't mine, and the artist who'd lent it me moved away and I had to give it back. I will one day get a copy and start it again. But I do remember the upside down picasso exercise, yours has turned out really well. Thanks for sharing your adventure thru 'the' book...

DrDebby
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I think your skull looks fabulous. Tho' I agree about the dark line.

Davkin
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
DAY #030 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/30/fun-with-a-pencil-day-7/)

I read some more of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain today, I think we'll get to an exercise tomorrow. For my drawing today then I did another page of faces from 'Fun with a Pencil'.

I recently bought all the Andrew Loomis books myself, you did a great job on these. Now I need to knuckle down and study! Maybe I'll start a sketch thread on the subject.

David

Joan T
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Great job on the upside down sketch!!! That's an interesting way to approach a sketch and it looks like it worked well.

DavyJ
02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys!

Davkin: Go for it! If you do create the thread link me to it here so I can take a look :)

DAY #033

Today I drew my final drawing referenced from an upside down original (for the time being) before I continue with the book.

Went with a handshake because that was always something I thought was very difficult to draw when I was a kid and I think it's a good example of the sort of thing your "Left Brain" starts to put symbols on and imagine how it "should" look.

I'm quite happy with the result overall!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2013/1171380-033-handshake-upside-down-drawing.jpg

DrDebby
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Marvelous job on the handshake.

Davkin
02-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I agree, nice job on the hands, a very difficult subject. Is this an exercise from a Loomis book?

David

DavyJ
02-03-2013, 07:16 AM
The hands were drawn from a reference I turned upside down which is an exercise from the Betty Edwards book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'. Happy that you liked them!

DAY #034

Today I drew this leaf that I found among an old box of things I haven't opened in like 5 years. I was surprised it was preserved.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2013/1171380-034-leaf.jpg

DrDebby
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Lovely leaf study. Amazing it has lasted so long.

jacquip
02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Fantastic job on the handshake. Excellent detail on the leaf. I too have a collection of very old dried old leaves in a box. They do come in handy.

Joan T
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Great shading on the handshake!! Super job! I like all the veining ton the leaf too.

DavyJ
02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys :heart:

DAY #035 (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/02/04/day-035-drawing-of-a-three-person-figurine/)

Drew this figurine that usually sits on our mantelpiece while I was watching UFC with my buddy. It's not that great a drawing but I felt like my confidence in capturing the basic form had improved somewhat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2013/1171380-035-figurine.jpg

J. Falk
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
The hands were drawn from a reference I turned upside down which is an exercise from the Betty Edwards book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'. Happy that you liked them!

I think that is one of the best pieces of advice from that book. Every time I get stuck while drawing something from a reference photo, I'll flip the paper around to get a different perspective on what I'm trying to draw and it really helps me figure out what areas need more attention.

JTMB
02-04-2013, 07:02 PM
The handshake drawing is exceptional.

DrDebby
02-04-2013, 08:39 PM
You got some great dimensionality on the sculpture.

mhimeswc
02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Wow! Nice job on those hands. I think hands are one of the most difficult subjects - getting the fingers to look right.

DavyJ
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys, you're all way too kind :)

DAY #036

Wrote quite a bit (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/02/05/day-036-gesture-drawings/) on my blog today but the main crux is that I did a 30 minute session of 60 second gesture drawings using posemaniacs (http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond). I've heard this is a great exercise to improve drawing and something a lot of people don't want to do because it's not as exciting as copying things they're interested in. I actually found it a lot of fun so I think I'm going to schedule in a weekly session at a minimum and re-evaluate in a month or so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2013/1171380-036-gesture-drawing-1.jpg

[Link to larger version of image (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/036-gesture-drawing-1-big.jpg)]

Joan T
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Love the pages of gesture drawings!!! Good for you!

jacquip
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Great gesture drawings. Posemaniacs is a great site for helping with that.

DrDebby
02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Great gesture drawings.

DavyJ
02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
DAY #037

Again I wrote a LOT on my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/02/06/blind-and-modified-contour-drawing/) today about this process if anybody is interested but to paraphrase: As instructed in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain I first did some blind contour drawing followed by some Modified Contour Drawing with a homemade viewfinder and perspex. The first drawing here is the blind contour drawings which are done without looking at the page and are designed to get you into the meditative 'R-Mode' the book talks so much about. The second is my viewfinder thingy and the last two are drawings in marker essentially 'traced' over real life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2013/1171380-037-blind-contour-drawing.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2013/1171380-viewfinder.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2013/1171380-037-modified-contour-drawing-hand.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2013/1171380-037-modified-contour-drawing-hand-2.jpg

DrDebby
02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Great job on the exercises. I remember doing the hand through the view finder exercise and wondering why it looked wrong. Come to find out my fingers are shorter than normal in relationship to my palm. :rolleyes: Learn something new every day.

DavyJ
02-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Aww I'm sure that's not true! In the first one my pinky is the wrong size. they can still come out wrong if your head moves while you're drawing!

DAY #038

Just did a Strawberry. Not that happy with it but there we go:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2013/1171380-038-strawberry.jpg

DrDebby
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
The strawberry is great. A bit more shading to add dimension and make it pop and you might like it better.

DavyJ
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks Debby, I agree with you.

DAY #039

Followed these steps (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/02/08/modified-contour-drawing-hand/) to create this from a modified contour drawing. Not very happy with it but oh well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2013/1171380-039-modified-contour-hand.jpg

DrDebby
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Each time you are unhappy with the results, ask yourself what you learned and take that to the next time you draw. Don't get discouraged. You are getting good results with each of your sketches. Just a note. The index finger looks wrong because you made it a solid cylinder. There are no creases where the joints are. Nor the possible subtle bumps where the bone in the joints are.

jacquip
02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I agree with what Debby said, think about each drawing and what you like and don't like. My first thought when I read your comment about not liking it was "why?" By thinking about your drawings like this you can focus on your strengths and weaknesses better. Easier said than done, I know. I think your drawings are really improving heaps. Great work.

Joan T
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Your work is improving with each sketch. I like that strawberry and the hand looks good. Like the rest of us, you will learn from your successes and from those that aren't so successful. Keep it up!

DavyJ
02-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Yeah sorry guys, I am trying to be reflective but I wrote my likes / dislikes on the blog entry and then was rushing when I posted up here. Thanks for the feedback on the index finger Debby, spot on!

DavyJ
02-09-2013, 02:27 PM
DAY #040

More gesture drawings today, 60 seconds per pose. Nothing to add except that these are fun to do and although at first they can make you feel a bit stupid that the lines are so off the quick-fire nature of them means you can't dwell on any of that and quite quickly you can feel your lines improving. I can see why it's suggested that this is one of the most effective ways to improve and get you in 'the zone'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2013/1171380-040-gesture-drawing-2.jpg

DrDebby
02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Excellent exercise and well done. I can see you improving page by page.

Joan T
02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice movement in the gestures!

DavyJ
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
DAY #041

Drew my living room interior as I was watching TV with girlfriend.

I like that the proportions are fairly good generally (not great but fairly good, at least as compared to some of my earlier stuff). I like some of the folds on the trousers and I like a few details I think I captured quite well like the lamp on the right, the reflections in the TV base and the pencils on the table (kind of)... the worst part is the TV which is bent and not very well done. Straight lines are harder to do while slouched on a sofa I have discovered! That's no excuse though cause I could have erased and tried again. The cable running towards the legs is too thick and looks sloppy. I got a bit impatient with the stems and flowers on the right we have (they are not real)... some of the shading on TV looks rushed.

Couldn't copy the content of the screen as it was moving so I just described the object instead.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2013/1171380-041-living-room.jpg

DrDebby
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
That's the way to go, draw everything you see. You'll keep getting better. I agree, the folds on the pants are well done.

jacquip
02-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Much better way to spend your time than just staring at that brain numbing box. You did a great job on the pants and table.

JTMB
02-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Great to see your persistence - it will (and already is) generating results. Keep at it!

DavyJ
02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys :)

DAY #042

It's the meaning of life!

Drew this cup and stereo still life.

I'm happy with the proportions of most of this but I'm unhappy with the flatness of it. The top part of the stereo also bad towards the right. Not sure how that happened. Not paying attention I guess. I think the speaker looks fairly good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2013/1171380-042-mug-and-stereo.jpg

mhimeswc
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I love the gesture drawings from the posemaniac site. What a great way to practice drawing people! I've bookmarked the site to try it myself.

DrDebby
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
The sketch is wonderful. The ellipses on the cup are quite good. Are you using a single pencil for this? A few different pencils in different hardnesses (or is that softnesses? :lol:) and you can get some darker darks in your shading. Find a 4B or 6B pencil and it'll be real dark compared to an HB (or standard #2 pencil.) You've got shadows grounding the items, but there isn't a lot to show the roundness of the cup for instance. A bright highlight on the lighted side and gradually getting darker as the roundness of the cup goes to the shadow side will give it depth and dimension. Also there would be a bit of shadow inside the cup itself unless the light source is directly on top of it.

Joan T
02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Nice job on the cup and speaker. Sounds like Debby has some good suggestions for shading.

DavyJ
02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the tips on shading Debby, very helpful! I'll keep them in mind going forward!

DAY #043

Met up with my dad for coffee and did a quick sketch when he left to check the Bus Times. It was in pen which is a change and quite enjoyable! Later I did more Gesture Drawings which I'm scheduling in for every Monday with the option to do more in between if the mood takes me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2013/1171380-043-coffee-for-the-road.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2013/1171380-043-gesture-drawing-3.jpg

Joan T
02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I like how you sketched the coffee cup...very free! Good gestures. Where are you getting the models?

DavyJ
02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Oh they're not from life. I'm using a really useful website called pose maniacs (http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond) which gives you random poses from a huge database at regular intervals which you can pick (30s, 60s, 90 second etc).

DrDebby
02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Nice loose sketch of the coffee cup. Your gesture drawings are showing your dedication. :thumbsup:

DavyJ
02-13-2013, 07:38 AM
DAY #044

Did a drawing of Charlie from the TV show Always Sunny in Philadelphia today. I think parts of it are showing good improvement. Weakest point is the nose area where the proportions are kind of off. The rest of it seems reasonably accurate. Tried to create more contrast in the shading with this one. Not sure how successful it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2013/1171380-044-charlie-always-sunny.jpg

DrDebby
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
You are definitely getting there. Your shading is getting much better. Remember your cartoon heads? The eyes are off a bit. They should be about half way between the chin and the crown of the head.

DavyJ
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Ya, I think eyes and nose are the weak points of that image for sure.

DAY #045

Valentine's day so I drew my wife. All imperfections are the fault of my technique and not a reflection on the source material ;)

Also, I deliberately adjusted the source image to high contrast almost two tone hence the over-exposed appearance of the face. Basically the lack of shading here is because that's what my was kind of like. I think the likeness is okay-ish but I haven't really captured her smile quite right and cheek on left is a bit wider than it should be... hope she doesn't mind :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2013/1171380-045-nina.jpg

JTMB
02-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Your progress is apparent, and will continue. Getting true likenesses of an individual is really difficult because humans are so oriented toward pattern recognition when it comes to faces. We are able to discern the slightest differences in faces presented as a whole, which is why we so quickly recognize people we know or even only have run into before. Translating that from our brain to paper takes lots and lots of practice and work. I do mostly landscapes and birds as a result - :lol: ! The highlight of what little figure work I do was in a facial portrait class when our model for the two days of the class so my last piece and really liked it - and when I offered it to her to take with her she jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, that's only happened once so far. :o I need to start going back to live model classes I think.

DrDebby
02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm sure your wife won't be upset. After all, it is a good portrait. As John said, likenesses are hard to accomplish without a lot of practice.

DavyJ
02-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Yeah, it's crazy how when the proportions are in place a face suddenly shifts into something you recognise but if it's just a tiny bit out then it quickly loses its likeness! It makes sense. I watched a documentary once that showed how the differences between faces are actually tiny and no more distinct than the faces between sheep... it's just that we're super evolved to recognise them! When I think about how hard it would be to draw one sheep face accurate enough that it was distinct from another it makes me feel better about my human faces!

DAY #046

Drew some baby foots I found on google images. Didn't have much time so felt a little rushed. I don't like the picture very much. Most of it is out in some way. My first effort at feet though so I guess that's to be expected.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2013/1171380-046-baby-feet.jpg

DrDebby
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
It looks like little baby feet. Well done. Some artist dislike drawing feet so much that everyone has shoes on. :)

Joan T
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice job on the portraits. It is hard to sketch someone we are so close to. I love the way the little feet came out!

DavyJ
02-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks Joan, thanks Debby :) Glad you could tell they were little feet!

DAY #047

Again, a little rushed today so squeezed in another study of my own hand. I'm happy with parts of it and I'm encouraged by how quickly I did it (maybe half an hour?) compared to a hand drawing I did about a month ago which took maybe 2 or 3 times that. I think I'm becoming a little more confident in my lines. On the downside I think index finger and wrist look slightly wrong and maybe the fleshy part of the palm... not hugely off though so I'm happyish with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2013/1171380-047-hand-peace-down.jpg

DrDebby
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Great hand drawing. Glad you are encouraged by your progress.

Scattykat
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
...good to see you carrying this on, like the portrait of your wife, she looks so happy, and love the baby feet, I didn't think they were off in any way :)

DavyJ
02-17-2013, 06:33 AM
DAY #048

Tried something a bit different today. This drawing of a Raven.

I'm happy with the beak and few other small parts of the drawing. I'm least happy with some of my edges and inconsistent shading. The tail feather area probably looks the worst.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2013/1171380-048-ace-and-raven.jpg

DrDebby
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Cool raven. Hard to shade a black creature to make it look 3D.

DavyJ
02-18-2013, 07:37 AM
DAY #049

Today I finally got around to the next exercise from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It was a negative space exercise where you draw a chair but draw the spaces rather than the chair. This supposedly helps with getting out of your left-brain which wants to label things and apply symbols instead of letting you simply see what is actually there.

I then did another negative space drawing of some Peter Paul Ruben's sketches as suggested in the book. This time turning it upside down. Drawing the negative spaces. Then turning it back right way up and only then adding the details. I think it came out quite well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2013/1171380-049-negative-space-chair.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2013/1171380-049-peter-paul-rubens.jpg

Joan T
02-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Nice job on the hand...Love this last sketch. You are really working hard.

DrDebby
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Great job on the negative spaces drawings.

JTMB
02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Well done on the raven. And continued congrats on your dedication to the project.

DavyJ
02-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot guys :)

DAY #050

Wow. Fifty days down! My sister is visiting us on Holiday and volunteered to pose for some life drawing. I did a series of quick (about 5 minutes each) sketches of her feet in different poses in ink. I think parts of them came out quite well. Other parts are massively off but as I was drawing quickly and a subject I'm not used to I'm actually quite happy with the outcomes.

I also did about 50 minutes of gesture drawings from posemaniacs.com, 60 seconds per pose. Trying to make this a Monday ritual. So far, so good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2013/1171380-050---fiona-feet-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2013/1171380-050---fiona-feet-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2013/1171380-050-gesture-drawing-4.jpg

DrDebby
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
What a great sister! Your dedication to this project is so inspirational. You are getting better and better with your sketches.

Joan T
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Some of the foot sketches came out really good. Like anything, the more you sketch feet the better they start to look. Over in the Artwork from Life Forum a few years ago we picked different things to focus on for a month at a time. We did spa, hands, feet, leaves...I learned a lot that way.

DavyJ
02-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Thanks Debby, yeah she's great :)

Joan, that thread sounds really interesting. Any chance you could link me to it? Would love to take a look!

DAY #051

Was a nice day so I showed my sister around the nearby flower gardens and parks. Stopped for 10 minutes and did this quick pen sketch. Obviously a lot wrong with it I also think there's something quite nice about it for a very quick drawing. Or at least I'm happy that the subject is somewhat recognizable. I think my seeing muscles are improving somewhat. Definitely some perspective issues here and there... and everywhere though :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/1171380-051-roath-park-bridge.jpg

DrDebby
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
But, the fact that you sketched the scene will always remind you of the time spent with your sister there. If you like the scene, revisit it later and maybe do another quick sketch. It'll show your improvement. All that aside, it's a wonderful sketch.

Joan T
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I looked back in the Artwork from Life Forum and here are a few of the monthly projects we did.

portraits - www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469140

eyes - www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439459

feet - www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443855

They were fun projects to do.

DavyJ
02-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Thanks Debby. You're right that drawings can cement memories. I might well go back to that spot and draw it again in the future :)

Thanks for the links Joan, I'm going to take a look now!

DAY #052

Worked through this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWZZ3SFmDS8) on how to draw the nose while taking notes today. Lots more to it than you'd guess!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/1171380-052-how-to-draw-the-nose-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/1171380-052-how-to-draw-the-nose-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/1171380-052-how-to-draw-the-nose-3.jpg

RainySea
02-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Interesting drawings/notes on nose construction. great pages for reference for you :thumbsup:

DrDebby
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Great notes, visual and written on drawing the nose.

Fidgement
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Davyj, I'm still enjoying your progress. I admire your commitment to improving your skills and your progress shows. Very well done! Keep up the great work.

Helen

Carole A
02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Davy ~ I continue to be amazed at your tenacity and dedication. Everything you post here is great and inspirational. I do like the Raven so much. I have a funny fake raven awaiting my attempts to paint a likeness of it.

Carole A

DavyJ
02-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Awww thanks guys, your kind words definitely give me motivation to keep it up :)

DAY #053

I had drawn my sister on day #012 of this challenge (http://everydayadrawing.com/2013/01/12/my-sister/) from a photograph but today I did one of her from life while she was staying. Half way through she FELL ASLEEP but thankfully I had the outline of the eyes already done ;)

I think it's a noticeable improvement over the earlier one and I think there is a decent likeness to how she actually looks. I think I'd recognise her quite easily from this drawing. On the downside, the chin isn't too great and I struggle sometimes with the hair. Sometimes due to not being sure of the best technique and more often because I start rushing it. I think I could have been bolder with contrast as well and I lazied out with the background and her shirt although that was kind of on purpose cause I didn't want to take up too much of her time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2013/1171380-053-fiona-life-portrait.jpg

Joan T
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
You are really dedicated. I love your notes from the youtube video.

DrDebby
02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Excellent portrait. Hair is like anything else, elements of dark and light shapes.

DavyJ
02-23-2013, 06:30 AM
DAY #054

Drew this vase and flowers from my window sill. Flowers are fake but they look real enough from a distance! I'm quite happy with the vase and windowsill portion. The flowers at the top though don't look too good. I find I 'lose my place' when I'm working on repetitive small details that are slightly different from one another like petals here or the seeds on the strawberry earlier. Looking down at the paper briefly and I've forgotten which petal I was on.

Also did a negative space drawing of the mantelpiece in my room.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/1171380-054-fake-flowers.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/1171380-054-negative-space-mantelpiece.jpg

Joan T
02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Nice sketch of the flowers. I get lost quite often in anything that has a lot of pieces or sections. You did really well.

DrDebby
02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
The flowers and negative space drawing are great. The getting lost in the details is common. Best thing is to continue practicing.

vhere
02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
The portrait of your sister is showing real improvement and its so good that you are doing work from life - it has a freshness and individuality that working from books or photos often lacks unless you are experienced.

DavyJ
02-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks as always guys for your encouraging feedback!

DAY #055

It's some Bananas. I'm pretty happy with how these came out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2013/1171380-055-bananas.jpg

vhere
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
those videos are very good, I'm going to tell a couple in my class to look at them - all good stuff in them

RainySea
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice work on the bananas!

DrDebby
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
The bananas are fantastic. :thumbsup:

Joan T
02-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Nice shading on the nanas!

DavyJ
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Glad you liked the Bananas guys :)

DAY #056

Drew this potted plant today. I took more care over getting the major outlines right before adding in the details so that the end result would be more in proportion and I think it worked fairly well. I'm not so happy with the shading. The petals in the centre of the flower were a different colour but their value i greyscale is very similar which ends up removing a lot of the character of the item. I'm never sure fi I sould take artistic license and change the values to create contrast between the elements of the plant that would be obvious in colour but not so much in pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2013/1171380-056-potted-plant.jpg

DavyJ
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
DAY #057

Late to post this because of the IP BAN thing... just a session of my Gesture Drawings I'm trying to do at least once a week. On the suggestion of a commenter on my blog I used the tool at pixelovely (http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/)rather than pose maniacs because it gives pictures of real people rather than 3D models. I quite like both to be honest so might alternate between the two sites depending on my mood.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2013/1171380-057-gesture-drawings-5.jpg

DavyJ
02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
DAY #058

Folded a piece of black card and drew this tree in silver pen on the front and a letter to my dad on the inside. Definitely a few branches which are WAAAAY off but it was something a bit different and looks a bit better in real life than on photo because of the metallic shine of the silver ink that doesn't show up too well here. I think if I did this again with more care and time it could be an okay illustration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/1171380-058-silver-tree.jpg

DrDebby
02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Yes, that IP ban thing was a pain. Glad it didn't stop you from drawing anyway. More great sketches. As to the pencil shading on the plant, yes, you can certainly take "artistic" license and darken values to get the contrast you desire.

DavyJ
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
DAY #059

Did another portrait (from photo reference (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tom-woods-reference.jpg)) today. Went with one of my favorite speakers: the economist Tom Woods. I'm really not very happy with how it turned out. The main problem is the whole angle of the head is slightly off (too straight upwards) but generally it's lacking a certain overall life which I'm not sure I can put my finger on.

On the plus, perhaps the ear and the collar are decentish.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2013/1171380-059-tom-woods.jpg

DrDebby
02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
The portrait is really good. You are improving by leaps. :) The niggling thing that's bothering you is the eyes and eyebrows aren't quite in line with each other.

DavyJ
03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks Debby! How do you mean with the eyes and eyebrows though? His head is tilted in the reference so wouldn't his eyes and eyebrows not be aligned? Is it rather that the nose is too straight relative to the angle of the eyes and brows? Thanks for your kind words anyway, I really wasn't happy with that one for some reason!

DAY #060

2/12 months down and so far so good :)

Today I decided to spend some time practicing noses. Here's what I wrote on my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/) about the page:

So weíve arrived at March and so far, so good. Iíve drawn something on 60 consecutive days and Iím pretty pleased with that accomplishment. To be honest, although I have never made such a large commitment as the one Iíve made with this blog (to draw every day for a year), Iíve also never committed to doing a new habit like this for 2 months either and so just reaching this point gives me a very nice feeling of accomplishment and some belief that I can keep going for the full 365 days. I have big things happening to my life in March and I know for a fact Iím going to have a lot less free-time. Keeping this going every day up until this point will have been a cake-walk compared to the days going forward. With all that said, Iím not preparing excuses to fail. I fully intend to make this happen and keep pushing through. I will draw in the middle of the night if I have to.

Today I decided to practice some noses as when I try to copy faces I find this is probably the area I most consistently have trouble with. I just typed celebrity names that popped into my head into Google Images and picked photos which had at least some contrast to them and went to work.

I have this set of pencils my girlfriend bought for me that run the gamut of weights from 2H to 8B. I donít really know anything about pencil weights except that they are darker and softer as they move towards the higher B numbers (I think?!)Ö often when I draw I pick out random pencils because Iím not sure which one is even my favorite. I know that 2B is often considered a good one that artists use and so thatís probably the one I pick the most but other times I try out harder and softer ones and Iím never really sure which I prefer and often I forget even which one I have used. In other words, I have not been systematic. Iíve been acting rather unconsciously in this area. So with my noses I decided to do each one with a different pencil and note what I used so I could compare between. One thing that is now quite obvious to me is that the harder pencils make it almost impossible (for me) to shade smoothly. Iíll end up accidentally making too hard a line and it looks scratchy. This is pretty intuitively obvious but I think I actually ďget itĒ now. Yeah, Iím slow sometimes.

Anyway, enough babble: Iím pretty happy with a few of these. Others are off. Overall Iím quite happy with it as a page of work. Probably spent about 90 minutes or so on these.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2013/1171380-060-noses-practice.jpg

DrDebby
03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Great nose studies. Congrats on your stick-to-itiveness. :) The comment about the eyes was not the angle, but the fact that the left eye is drooping rather than wrapping around the head. But as I have not looked at your reference, perhaps the guy's eyes look like that. Sorry.

DavyJ
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
No need to apologize!! I definitely agree something looks up with them! This was the reference (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tom-woods-reference.jpg).

JTMB
03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Lots more good work here since I last visited. Your work ethic is certainly to be admired.

DavyJ
03-02-2013, 03:48 PM
DAY #061

I enjoyed studying the nose from different angles so today I did the same thing but drawing from life. The object was one of my shoes. I'm quite happy with quite a lot of this. Some is off of course. Was doing them while watching TV on sofa so felt quite loose.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2013/1171380-061-shoes.jpg

DrDebby
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Fabulous shoe studies.

DavyJ
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
DAY #062

More objects sketched while sitting in living room with TV on (finding myself strapped for time and so combining the time I spend in evening with GF with some drawing makes sense). All these objects were at hand to draw (including my left hand). I'm happy with the tube and I think the water in the glass looks kind interesting. Not so happy with the other still-life. I think the hand looks bad.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/1171380-062-table-objects.jpg

RainySea
03-03-2013, 11:37 AM
nicely done objects

DrDebby
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Great job of drawing anything that falls under your eyes.

DavyJ
03-04-2013, 05:23 AM
DAY #063

Today I did another page of faces from Andrew Loomis book 'Fun with a Pencil'

Not much to say about this. Just copying along with what he shows. He makes it very easy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/1171380-063-fun-with-a-pencil-part-8.jpg

DrDebby
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Copying is a great way to learn.

DavyJ
03-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Thanks Debby. You're always so encouraging :)

DAY #064

Did some gesture drawings leading onto longer figure drawings. First image is 30 seconds and 60 seconds. Next picture is two 5 minute studies. the third is an 11 minute drawing and the final one was 30 minutes (after a 10 minute break).

If anybody is interested in doing one of these online class-sessions the pixelovely (http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/) site will feed them to you with gradually increasing time over a 'class session' of anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours! This was their one hour session.

Of the longer drawings I'm quite pleased with 3/4. I'm sure you can guess the one I'm less happy with... not sure what went wrong. I really like doing these kinds of exercises because I can feel it helping with the layout out of initial outlines which I think is really important and doesn't get developed very much by just spending ages on detail and shading but if that's not right then the detail and shading won't help anyway!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2013/1171380-064-gesture-drawings-6.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2013/1171380-064-5-minute-figure-drawings.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2013/1171380-064-11-minute-figure-drawing.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2013/1171380-064-30-minute-figure-drawing.jpg

DrDebby
03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Great exercises. I looked at that website the other night. It's a wonderful resource.

J. Falk
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Nice gesture drawings! You can feel the life in the lines!

JTMB
03-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Nice work on the gestures! I'm going to have to check out the website you suggested.

DavyJ
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it's great :) So great that...

Day #065

Did another 1 hour session.

Tomorrow something different, I promise ;)

30-60 seconds:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/1171380-065-gesture-drawings-7.jpg

5 minutes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/1171380-065-5-minute-figure-drawings.jpg

11 minutes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/1171380-065-11-minute-figure-drawing.jpg

30 minutes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/1171380-065-30-minute-figure-drawing.jpg

DrDebby
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I recognize some of those poses. :lol: Great sketching.

DavyJ
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Hahaha, yeah I've already had the same couple come up more than once. Might be a downside to this site actually. Their database might be too small.

DavyJ
03-07-2013, 05:44 AM
DAY #066

Felt ill today so drew from bed what was in front of me.

I simplified it into a line drawing and removed a lot of clutter from the scene to save time (it was already taking me a long time).

Quite happy with the proportions. A few bits are sort of out... most notably the fireplace.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2013/1171380-066-bedroom-interior.jpg

DrDebby
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Now that's dedication. Sorry you are feeling ill. Get better. Really fabulous sketch.

DavyJ
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Feeling bit better today. Got out of the house and sat in a local coffee shop to do this drawing. Quite happy with most of it. Getting better at sighting my proportions. Still seem to mess up along the way at one point or another though. I think I will just get better in time as I keep trying...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2013/1171380-067-coffee-1.jpg

DrDebby
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Glad you are feeling better. Nice work on the coffee shop. Yup, practice is what it takes. :thumbsup:

DavyJ
03-09-2013, 07:04 AM
DAY #68

My mum sent me this postcard (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/mark-gertler-reference.jpg). It's a Mark Gertler self-portrait from the early 1900s. I've heard that copying drawings from masters is a useful exercise so decided to give it a shot.

Quite happy with the proportions on this one. Perhaps the closest to the source I've managed so far, although this might well be easier when copying drawings than copying photographs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2013/1171380-068-mark-gertler-copy.jpg

DrDebby
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, copying a drawing to a drawing is easier than a drawing from a photo or from life. But, all are learning tools. Great job.

DavyJ
03-10-2013, 06:58 AM
DAY #069

Going to quote what I wrote on my blog (http://everydayadrawing.com/):

Did a few drawings this morning downstairs. I did a few quick sketches of objects on the dining room table, I did some very quick 5 minute drawings of my girlfriend as she was marking from different angles and I did a slightly more complete drawing of the windowsill and plant pots in the same room.

The figure drawings are okay I guess. I didnít spend long on them at all (as you can tell). I was almost trying to treat them as gesture drawings. Getting the essence of the position more than the details. I think I succeeded in parts but mostly they are a bit all over the shop.

The table objects Iím happy with. Again I didnít spend too long on these but I actually think several of them have come out quite nicely. The box with papers in is a very close likeness to the actual object. I feel like Iím getting more confident in quickly getting the essence of something and not worrying too much about details until I have that essence in place.

Finally, the windowsill drawing Iím fairly pleased with. Again, I think itís quite accurate to how it actually looks and my vigilance in keeping a close eye on perspective changes is improving. For example, the fact that my eye-level was between the bottom and top of the pots meant the top curves upwards slightly and bottom curves down slightly. This is counter-intuitive to how you usually imagine a pot or a container to look so the fact I noticed these things means Iím getting better at seeing and not guessing. Sometimes I still find it hard though. Especially when I was drawing the petals. You have to keep extremely patient and check hard how each one actually falls because the temptation to draw them how you imagine they should look (to save time) is very strong!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/1171380-069-quick-drawings-nina-marking.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/1171380-069-vase-and-objects.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/1171380-069-windowsill.jpg

DrDebby
03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Marvelous sketches. Good observation.

DavyJ
03-11-2013, 07:14 AM
DAY #070

Tried drawing a folded towel today. It's out of my comfort zone and I've heard drawing folds is a good exercise so pleased with myself for trying. I think it's come out quite good. I like how the texture worked out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/1171380-070-folded-towel.jpg

DrDebby
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
You definitely have some nice texture going on there. Good job.

DavyJ
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
DAY #071

Did my Monday Gesture Drawings. Spent a long while doing these as I filled 9 pages (60 seconds per pose).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2013/1171380-071-gesture-drawings-8.jpg

Larger Version (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/071-gesture-drawings-8-big.jpg)

DrDebby
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
That's dedication. Great sketches.

Joan T
03-12-2013, 05:15 PM
You've got lots of good sketches here. I love that one of the towel. You did a great job showing the texture of it!!!

DavyJ
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM

DAY #072

Tried to copy a few photos using the method described in this video (http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/drawing-shape-linear-block-in).

With the guitar I felt like it was very off and difficult to get the initial outlines. With the church I was more liberal with erasing and fixing stuff and so I think it turned out better.

I think the concept helped with the perspective of the church but not sure, might just have copied it reasonably because it's an easier object than a guitar.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2013/1171380-072-guitar.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2013/1171380-072-church.jpg

DrDebby
03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Both are super sketches. The only thing with the guitar is the neck looks too short, other than that, it looks great.

DavyJ
03-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Thank you as ever for your positive words Debby!

Day #073

Today I drew Education Maverick John Taylor Gatto. His videos on youtube are fascinating if anybody is interested in an alternative take on the value of the school system.

Pretty pleased with the likeness to the source image (http://everydayadrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/john-taylor-gatto-reference.jpg) with this one. Not too far off I think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2013/1171380-073-john-taylor-gatto.jpg

DrDebby
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Very good likeness.

DavyJ
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Did some more faces from Andrew Loomis' "Fun with a Pencil"...

Thinking about how expressions on the face are formed specifically is quite interesting. I've noticed drawing has a way of teaching you things about stuff that has been right in front of your eyes your entire life which is always surprising.

Sometimes I find I'm frustrated with my weak copying of these heads though. In the book you get to follow along step by step specifically so it should be a lot easier than something like the drawing I did yesterday and yet I often feel like I somehow end up being quite off with my simple cartoon faces.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/1171380-074-fun-with-a-pencil-part-9.jpg

DavyJ
03-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Sketched the shelf in my office and the objects which sit upon it.

Liked the perspective of the shelf but not the area below it where I wasn't consistent and it ends up looking ugly. If I cropped it from just below the shelf part I'd be fairly happy although I didn't take too long on it as I was extremely busy and only found 15 minutes to draw.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2013/1171380-075-bedroom-mantelpiece.jpg

DrDebby
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Great sketches. So awesome you are still focused. Very inspiring.

Joan T
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
You are so good at practicing! Good for youi!!!

DavyJ
03-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys. This is probably the longest I've stuck something like this out so it's all new territory to me. I'm pleasantly surprised with myself that I've not missed a day yet :)

DAY #076

Had such a busy day today I ended up doing this at like 11pm, tired, in front of the TV. I think it shows as it's a pretty weak effort. Obvious simple stuff like the basic outline is off...the phone is thinner at the bottom than the top etc. If I had to find a positive I'd say the screen part looks okay.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/1171380-076-mobile-phone.jpg

DrDebby
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
The point is you still sketched. Good sketch of the phone. I like the hieroglyphics on the keys. :)

DavyJ
03-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Haha :)

Day #077

Another drawing I'm not at all happy with. I'll go with what you said though Debby... at least I sketched ;)

In-Laws were here so basically rushed this so I know why it's no good. Wasn't able to relax and take my time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/1171380-077-capuchin.jpg

DrDebby
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
It's recognizable as a monkey or ape. Good sketch. In-laws can be stressful. :clear:

DavyJ
03-19-2013, 07:01 AM
DAY #078

This isn't finished yet (5 more compartments to do) but as I've already spent about 90 minutes on it I stopped for the day. It's the shelves in my office.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2013/1171380-078-shelves-part-1.jpg

DrDebby
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I like how you've rendered the binders. Great sketch. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the shelves.

DavyJ
03-20-2013, 07:43 AM
DAY #079

Here's the finished sketch!

Quite happy that I stayed patient to the end and didn't rush it too much. Patience is an area I don't naturally excel in so need to practice it as much as possible.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2013/1171380-079-shelves-complete.jpg

Riverfrog
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I like that, it certainly would have required patience:thumbsup:

DrDebby
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Great finish. So many interesting shapes to draw there.

Joan T
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Wonderful job on the shelves and all the treasures in each compartment.

DavyJ
03-21-2013, 08:20 AM
DAY #080

Drew this 11 minute sketch and a bunch of warm up ones taking 30 seconds, 60 seconds and 5 minutes (x2).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2013/1171380-080-nude-figure.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2013/1171380-080-warm-up-gestures.jpg

DrDebby
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Excellent practice of figure drawing. :thumbsup:

Riverfrog
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Very good, nice to see the warm ups, I guess that helps with the speed.

DavyJ
03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

DAY #081

Experimented with toned paper and highlights for the first time today with this drawing of Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch. The photo of the drawing doesn't pick up the toned paper that well (it was a light blue!) but it's a lot of fun not having to shade the mid-tones and being able to bring out highlights so much better and more dramatically than trying to erase out the areas you want white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/1171380-081-benedict-cumberbatch.jpg

DrDebby
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
It's hard to get colors to show up correctly, scanning or photography. Great sketch.

DavyJ
03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
DAY #082

Couple of drawings in front of the TV today. Think the book looks okay but might have bitten off more than I can chew with the wool. Very difficult subject and it shows as it's a pretty poor drawing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/1171380-082-open-book.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/1171380-082-wool.jpg

DrDebby
03-23-2013, 03:30 PM
How will you know something is more than you can handle if you don't try. And, you might surprise yourself. :) Delightful sketches of things around the house.

DavyJ
03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, I totally agree. Got to keep pushing the comfort zone from time to time. Muscles don't' grow without being pushed to failure :)

DAY #083

With pushing my comfort zone in mind I tried drawing a fork from some difficult angles. It's an interesting shape and one that is very hard for me to draw accurately so after I'd done the dinner plate below I tried tackling it from vantage points that make me feel uncomfortable.

I think some were more successful than others... none were particularly accurate, but I'd say the bottom left is probably the closest to looking like an actual fork. It's also, probably, the easiest angle that I picked so probably no coincidence.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/1171380-083-empty-plate.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/1171380-083-forks.jpg

DrDebby
03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Marvelous attempt. Spoons aren't easy either.

JTMB
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Catching up with your activity - great work and inspirational persistence. Good job on the life drawings and recent portrait sketch.

DavyJ
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys!

DAY #084

Did this drawing of my foot today. I'm quite happy with it. In particular I feel like it looks three-dimensional to a greater degree than some of my other drawings. Kind of pops off the page a little :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/1171380-084-my-foot.jpg