PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Seascapes Discussion

Johannes Instructor
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/WetcanvasLive_logo.jpg
Essentials of Painting Seascapes!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8274.jpg

Seascapes is one of the easiest subjects to paint because once you learn the anatomy of waves which is quite simple, then you can paint as many
variances of them as you want. Learn how to convey the illusion of moving crashing sea water. The graceful rolling line above the waves and the spray
of toppling water will make this subject so attractive to the viewers. Learn to capture the majestic moment when the eye of the wave appears.
Johannes, an official instructor for the publisher of the Artist's Magazine and Northlight books, will give you all the insight so you can create
one of the most beautiful painting themes known in the art world.

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time
DATES: 3 Saturdays: January 12, 19 & 26, 2013
Fee: $9.99 Fee only includes taking the live classes. Recorded videos to be sold separately.
The original fee will be deducted from the retail price.
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend the 3 Saturdays.
REQUIREMENTS: A computer with high speed internet connection ( at least 1.5 MB) download speed.

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/registere.jpg (http://www.northlightshop.com/essentials-of-painting-seascapes-u5522)

mickisew
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi Johannes:

I look forward to our Webinar on Saturday, January 12. Hopefully, the download will be available for purchase from Northlight soonest. I, for one, like to have the classes on hand for reference and review.

I hope you have enjoyed your time away from us!

Micki

dljaques
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Will one of the demos be in watercolor??

Artcat369
01-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Jo- Am looking forward to this course! Would you consider having a follow-on course with marine and boat scenes?

I need assistance regarding your 23 page teaching thread about Composition and design. Only the first page shows - could you please re-post this in your Partner forum for those of us who either have missed many of your earlier courses, or need a refresher?
thanks!!! Artcat

just having fun
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
What will be the order of the paintings, oil,watercolor??

nougat
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Jo- Am looking forward to this course! Would you consider having a follow-on course with marine and boat scenes?

I need assistance regarding your 23 page teaching thread about Composition and design. Only the first page shows - could you please re-post this in your Partner forum for those of us who either have missed many of your earlier courses, or need a refresher?
thanks!!! Artcat

YES PLEASE to both of artcat's requests.

kittierue
01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Can't wait! It'll be fun to get back in the students' seat again! :clap:

Bjorngunnarschou
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I am back after 12 weeks in Norway taking picture. Johannes is the best.

Rosemarie
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Björn, any good fjord photos with splashing water you want to share?

Johannes Instructor
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

thanks!!! Artcat

Here is the composition manual
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/

Johannes Instructor
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
What will be the order of the paintings, oil,watercolor??

Class 1 Powerpoint presentation + oil
Class 2 watercolor
Class 3 pastel

nougat
01-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Here is the composition manual
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/

THANK you Jo - but it says 1-23 pages and i can't turn the page so to speak.

HazelP
01-09-2013, 12:06 AM
THANK you Jo - but it says 1-23 pages and i can't turn the page so to speak.

Same here - I can only see page 1.

Rosemarie
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Yes, the link to the next page is gone.

carol_lee
01-09-2013, 02:37 AM
I am very frustrated... can't seem to get to the stage where I actually PAY .... connection taking too long... I have a very high internet connection... next time I try they add on to quantity... got up to 4..:lol:.... then I want to edit cuts me off again... tried another browser...same thing.. rebooted same thing.... no problem purchasing at Amazon/book depository --ebay will try this afternoon.. been waiting a long time for this when are they going to get their story together

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2013/58142-checkout.jpg

I am up to 5 last try
now up to 6..can't edit to 1--- and pay
Guess I wasn't meant to take the course :crying:

carol_lee
01-09-2013, 05:55 AM
I got up to seven units... But I guess Mazal Tov is in order succeeded in paying and registering for 1....

LynnM
01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Carol, have you tried a different browser for that company? I have had some issues with other websites using Chrome.

carol_lee
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Carol, have you tried a different browser for that company? I have had some issues with other websites using Chrome.
yes I tried Firefox... but finally succeeded on chrome.... took a few hours....
registered with go to meeting as well. :clap:

Artcat369
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi Jo -
I'm still having the same difficulties with your composition book. Nothing is available after page 1. Can you help? thanks!

Artcat369
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Has the reference photo and/or drawing been posted yet for the seacape course? thanks, Artcat

Rosemarie
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi Jo -
I'm still having the same difficulties with your composition book. Nothing is available after page 1. Can you help? thanks!
I can help. In the address field add page2.php after the last slash. Here is the full link for that page http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/page2.php
To get to the next page change the 2 to a 3, an so forth.

Artcat369
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
thank you so much! will give it a try right now...Artcat:wave:

Johannes Instructor
01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
My latest painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8266.jpg

firesignart
01-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Nice painting Jo (awesome), I also look forward to your classes again on Saturdays!

painterted
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
That looks great Jo, looks like it's somewhere up here in BC.

ted

mickisew
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Exceptional Johannes. I presume you took some time to zone in on your own art. The scene is so inviting. The color harmony and application of hues and values remind us of so many "Golden Nuggets".

Only two days to go for the Seascape Course. I am ready!

Micki

Artcat369
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Jo! Great painting, full of interest, and c-c-c-c-cold looking! I love the depth and slight misty -looking distant mountains.:clap: . -Artcat

Artz54
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Beautiful stillness....The balance of warm and cool colors to create the depth of this painting is exceptional. See you Saturday.

carol_lee
01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Love the demo painting showing on live classes Friday morning and have started the countdown..:lol:

mariann1234
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Your painting is great Joe! For some reason I am still having trouble with my buildings. Hope I can find some help in future paint a longs.

Tresgatos
01-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Lovely painting Jo - thanks for sharing it with us.

Just signed up for this course. Having a bit of a problem signing into the chat but have asked them for help - not sure if I will be able to participate in the chat but all else seems to be working ok. Looking forward to tomorrow's lesson.

Wondered if we should try to paint along or just watch? If yes to paint - Will you post a preliminary sketch and colors so we can set up?

Barbara

paintncook
01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
This is a bummer! I can only attend the last Saturday of the series. Would I be able to access anything if I sign up now and can't attend the class? IOW, could I see the picture you will be doing in class? Or would I be best off to just sign up for the last class in the series. I'll be purchasing the entire series when it comes out with Northlight. I just hate having to wait that long to see it.

paintncook
01-11-2013, 08:01 PM
My latest painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8266.jpgI love this painting! Is it based on a photo? If so, I'd like to see how you adapted the photo

Artcat369
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know where the reference photo and/or drawing is for tomorrow's class? please respond at your earliest...thanks, Artcat:cat:

lorigina
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi Joe. That's a beautiful painting. The snowy mountains are exquisite. I look forward to being in class tomorrow.

Johannes Instructor
01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know where the reference photo and/or drawing is for tomorrow's class? please respond at your earliest...thanks, Artcat:cat:

When I give an "Essentials of XXXXXXX" it is not considered a paint along because the video is edited to demonstrate a painting in about 1 hour. So you would not have time to follow. But if you get the recording you will be able to pause it and catch up.

Artcat369
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
OK- thanks! See you all tomorrow! Artcat

paintncook
01-12-2013, 01:45 AM
When I give an "Essentials of XXXXXXX" it is not considered a paint along because the video is edited to demonstrate a painting in about 1 hour. So you would not have time to follow. But if you get the recording you will be able to pause it and catch up.

I decided to buy your Seascape class now even though I can't follow the first two Saturdays. At least I can watch the last one 'live'. I'll just have to wait to pay for the rest of the course when it is available through Northlight. I just hope they don't take 'forever' to make it available. I hope I can see what you did through the forum postings, but I know I need to get the course to get the instruction. I look forward to it.
Kathy

nougat
01-12-2013, 06:35 AM
ok
i logged in to stickam.
i went to improvemypaintings and clicked watch live class
got a page clicked 'go to video'
got a page with a painting on it.
no link to the chat.
when i right click 'here' for the reference photo i get '404 error page not found'
:(

carol_lee
01-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Nougat, I would suggest going to the stickham page and register... not the user/pw for the course but another.. I had one from previous classes.. see on image far right

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2013/58142-stickham.jpg

Then go to improvemy paintings user the password for the course...NOT the STickham one....
click on live classes.. and you will only see the image...

When the video screen is on there, just before class, there will be a place to log on chat and then use the stickham password... hope this helps... I don't usually use it as it can be disturbing!!!

JayCee
01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
To get the chat, is there a way to sign up for Stickam without going through Facebook? I can't see the screen with the orange "join now" button that's shown in the example .

brandywyne
01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I signed up for the class but never received the email that have the log in links.. thought sure it would be in today's email.....looks like I might miss the class....

Art Leat
01-12-2013, 10:46 AM
The instructions for viewing the January 12 demo talk about getting an access link from gotomeeting "during the week". At 3.45 pm GMT, I haven't had a link. What's going on?

nougat
01-12-2013, 11:04 AM
thank you carol
i am registered an logged in with stickam - still could'nt see the reference photo.

nougat
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
The instructions for viewing the January 12 demo talk about getting an access link from gotomeeting "during the week". At 3.45 pm GMT, I haven't had a link. What's going on?

i would suggest you email jo asap.

carol_lee
01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I have received from Johannes at least 4-5 posts with instructions about go to meeting and video at stickham.... suggest you check your spam mailbox..the last was less then a minute ago....

Rosemarie
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I signed up for the class but never received the email that have the log in links.. thought sure it would be in today's email.....looks like I might miss the class....
Did you register too? Check you confirmation from Northlight or go to Nortlight and look at your order. If you read all you would see the RED text saying that you shall register. Click on the link within the red text.

robert1952
01-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi all. Today Jo mentioned something I'm confussed about. What's the difference between a graceful line and a melodic line? Thanks Robert

Sgourlayart
01-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I heard no mention of homework for next week; is there any, and where will the reference materials and instructions be posted; here? Anyone know? Stu

Myasko
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Great class & Demo - Stu, I believe Jo said he would post homework tomorrow.

Sgourlayart
01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Great class & Demo - Stu, I believe Jo said he would post homework tomorrow.Thanks, I must have missed it. Stu

sapphirelynn
01-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Robert it is the same thing, to be melodic it would have to be graceful

lorigina
01-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Robert, If memory serves, he said that a graceful line is hilly (like a roller coaster, and a melodic line is like steps (step stone like)

Artz54
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Go to meeting program worked great during today's Seascape course, but when I switched to Stickam, the audio was very choppy. I tried everything to fix the problem, but nothing worked (different browsers, restarts, checked speakers, etc.). Did anyone else have audio problems with the Stickam site? Missed most of the Demo. :-(

carol_lee
01-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Johannes fixed the problem on stickham..took a few minutes and all went great!!!

I have a question concerning use of underpainting white.... do you wait for this layer to dry before starting the painting?? I gathered from what you said it was thin coat used with either turps or liquin???

Thanks Johannes for a pleasant evening... waiting for homework assignment!!!

Jacdesusbielle
01-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Could not see the demo .... I went until the sunset page and then nothing ... I am a bit frustrated of course ... Thank you Jo for this very interesting lesson. As usual, a lot to learn ! Have taken a pic of your golden nuggets and will work on that. Can't wait for the two other lessons !

Rosemarie
01-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Hi all. Today Jo mentioned something I'm confussed about. What's the difference between a graceful line and a melodic line? Thanks Robert
Graceful line is a rolling line like a roller coaster
Melodic line is more a Manhatan sky line line

Rosemarie
01-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Go to meeting program worked great during today's Seascape course, but when I switched to Stickam, the audio was very choppy. I tried everything to fix the problem, but nothing worked (different browsers, restarts, checked speakers, etc.). Did anyone else have audio problems with the Stickam site? Missed most of the Demo. :-(

A few had the problem but not many. It can be due to sseveral things.
Low download speed - The speed is lower at your place than from where it is sent out as the data is passing quite a few servers. I live in Sweden and it does get reduced quite a bit. I have had problems previous years with the videos even though my Internet speed was 2 Mbit. Now I have upgraded to 6 Mbit and have no problem. Having low speed makes you vulnerable to slow Internet
Old Flash player Get the latest Flash player. It was a new release recently which uses less memory

Rosemarie
01-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Could not see the demo .... I went until the sunset page and then nothing ... I am a bit frustrated of course ... Thank you Jo for this very interesting lesson. As usual, a lot to learn ! Have taken a pic of your golden nuggets and will work on that. Can't wait for the two other lessons !
I had the same problem but after a few tries it did work.

carol_lee
01-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Can anyone tell me the name of the artist that painted the young girl with the yellow dress that was in the seascape presentation ????

Found it!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
http://sangriasolysiesta.blogspot.co.il/2010/07/sorolla-painting-sold-for-nearly-two.html

Great slideshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkx1zytNlxg)

Johannes Instructor
01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Can anyone tell me the name of the artist that painted the young girl with the yellow dress that was in the seascape presentation ????

Found it!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
http://sangriasolysiesta.blogspot.co.il/2010/07/sorolla-painting-sold-for-nearly-two.html

Great slideshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkx1zytNlxg)

Joaquin Sorolla

Johannes Instructor
01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Graceful line is a rolling line like a roller coaster
Melodic line is more a Manhatan sky line line
Amen on the definition!

karenlee
01-13-2013, 10:08 AM
And, a melodic line rises to a climax, then descends;
a graceful line swerves/curves somewhat randomly--it's not a "main theme."

robert1952
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Thankyou everyone for the help, robert

JayCee
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I was another one who had a lot of audio problems with the Stickam, nor could I log into the chat. I never had a problem with Ustream!

tennisqueen
01-14-2013, 12:07 AM
I, too had trouble with the audio, I even tried closing the site and reentering but still had problems. First time for me, I have taken all of Johannes's classes and never had a problem. Loved the class despite the problems. As usual, I am always learning from Johannes... A fabulous teacher!!! Thank YOU:clap:

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I, too had trouble with the audio, I even tried closing the site and reentering but still had problems. First time for me, I have taken all of Johannes's classes and never had a problem. Loved the class despite the problems. As usual, I am always learning from Johannes... A fabulous teacher!!! Thank YOU:clap:
I wanted to take advantage of Stickam ad free feed. But we will go back to ustream and stay there.

Jacdesusbielle
01-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Same for me. I never had any problem with Ustream. So I am glad we go back to that because I absolutely want to see the next demo. Thank you Jo !

JayCee
01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Jo! It was very frustrating hearing only parts of the audio, and trying different browsers, refreshing the site, and loading the newest Flash player, to get just minimal improvement. The first half on gotomeeting was great, though!

cajunRice
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm looking for the person using "dogfur" on the chat. I, too, have a new computer with Win 8. I have some info that will help. Please contact me.

Ginger

Artz54
01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear we are going back to Ustream! Thanks Jo.

Johannes Instructor
01-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Did this painting during the week. See how when you place violets with intense greens it soothes them?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2013/135220-Deep_Forest_Waterfall.jpg

Johannes Instructor
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Also did this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2013/135220-Last_Minute_Glow.jpg

mickisew
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Thank you for posting your paintings, Johannes. I find them inspirational and sources of study.

Have a great day.

Micki

debwk
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Jo, the paintings are beautiful. Question, do we need to subscribe to ustream at this time, for this situation?

Deb

Johannes Instructor
01-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Jo, the paintings are beautiful. Question, do we need to subscribe to ustream at this time, for this situation?

Deb

I watched my own video today and only saw an ad at the very beginning and another in a few seconds. After that for 15 minutes no ads. So I would wait to see what happens before subscribing. But I will use ustream all tbis year.

Sienna black
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I missed your oil demo on seascapes. Could you please post the picture of your painting so I don't feel too left out.....lol:wink2:

Sienna black
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/WetcanvasLive_logo.jpg
Essentials of Painting Seascapes!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8274.jpg

Seascapes is one of the easiest subjects to paint because once you learn the anatomy of waves which is quite simple, then you can paint as many
variances of them as you want. Learn how to convey the illusion of moving crashing sea water. The graceful rolling line above the waves and the spray
of toppling water will make this subject so attractive to the viewers. Learn to capture the majestic moment when the eye of the wave appears.
Johannes, an official instructor for the publisher of the Artist's Magazine and Northlight books, will give you all the insight so you can create
one of the most beautiful painting themes known in the art world.

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time
DATES: 3 Saturdays: January 12, 19 & 26, 2013
Fee: $9.99 Fee only includes taking the live classes. Recorded videos to be sold separately.
The original fee will be deducted from the retail price.
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend the 3 Saturdays.
REQUIREMENTS: A computer with high speed internet connection ( at least 1.5 MB) download speed.

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/registere.jpg (http://www.northlightshop.com/essentials-of-painting-seascapes-u5522)

How do we proceed to getting the $9.99 discount when we order the recordings??????????????:confused:

paintncook
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Northlight should have a record of your having paid the $9.99, Sonia, and deduct it from the total when you purchase the course. I am sure the majority taking the live course will be purchasing it when it comes out. I sure hope Northlight doesn't take months to get the course out. I had to do my Seascape Homework blind because I couldn't watch Johannes on the first Saturday so don't know what cardinal rules I broke. I won't be able to see him do the critiques this coming Saturday either so I am relying on getting the course ASAP. I'm hoping he demonstrates in WC for the last Saturday when I can watch. Kathy

Johannes Instructor
01-18-2013, 07:42 PM
How do we proceed to getting the $9.99 discount when we order the recordings??????????????:confused:
Once they are up for sale I would send you an email with a discount code.

Valleygarden
01-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Johannes, I registered for the class but had a scheduling conflict and missed
the first session. Will your powerpoint presentation be posted? Thank you in advance.

paintncook
01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Johannes,
I remember that the courses you used to give: rocks, trees, etc. used to take a long time to be available through Northlight. Then you started doing the 'Paintalongs' and the recordings were almost immediately available. Will the Seascape course be like your earlier free ones and take a long time for Northlight to put it together and available or will it be like your recent paintalongs and be available soon after you finish the course?
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Johannes, I registered for the class but had a scheduling conflict and missed
the first session. Will your powerpoint presentation be posted? Thank you in advance.

Yes, when the course ends I will submit the course for download thru Northlight.

Johannes Instructor
01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=paintncook]Johannes,
I remember that the courses you used to give: rocks, trees, etc. used to take a long time to be available through Northlight. Then you started doing the 'Paintalongs' is the recordings were almost immediately available. Will the Seascape course be like your earlier free ones and take a long time for Northlight to put it together and available or will it be like your recent paint alongs and be available soon after you finish the course?
Kathy[/QUOTE

The reason why the paint alongs are readily available is because they are not edited for future sales. The tardiness of the essentials courses however can only attributed to me for 2 weeks. After that it is all in Northlight's time.
I will do all I can to accelerate the process of having them ready for download.

HazelP
01-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Do we have a pic of your finished painting from last Saturdays class Jo? I have been searching and cannot find it!

bbuggia
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know if/when the homework assignment will be posted for the second class? I seem to have missed the fact there was homework last time...duh.

Thanks
brenda

mickisew
01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi Johannes - Thank you for session 2 of our Webinar yesterday. Reviewing homework is so helpful for everyone. Your painting demonstration assists all of us regardless of medium - your problem solving, the BIG 13, the Golden 150, etc. As you discussed after the class - and we appreciate your staying until almost 6 PM EST - a follow-up class of the BIG 13 (with subdivisions) is a great idea. We cannot hear this enough, and your stating it is best to consider one Commandment at a time makes so much sense to this forever student.

Thanks again, Micki

Lucia_Denton
01-20-2013, 12:15 PM
I enjoy the class yesterday, I miss some of the names you mention English is not my first language and sometimes is very difficult to understand names and last name) could you please give the names of the seascapes artist you mention yesterday Jan, 19th. I try to google Lynn Saddler, Andrew Lumes, Gerald Harvis but I could not find nothing related with seascapes. I probably have all the names wrong.
Thanks,
Lucia

mickisew
01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi Lucia: One of the main seascape artists mentioned is Byron Pickering: http://www.pickeringstudio.com/. I am sure other students will enter more artists for you. There is also a thread on Wet Canvas: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430218.

Micki

mickisew
01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Andrew Loomis was an American illustrator, artist and teacher. There is a Wet Canvas thread - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380033. Some of the books are available in PDF per this thread. I believe one cannot be downloaded. Some, if not all, the Loomis books are available again in hard cover per a posting I saw in Wet Canvas and on Facebook. I do see that one of the Loomis books is available through North Light https://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=andrew+loomis

Micki

Sgourlayart
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
I enjoy the class yesterday, I miss some of the names you mention English is not my first language and sometimes is very difficult to understand names and last name) could you please give the names of the seascapes artist you mention yesterday Jan, 19th. I try to google Lynn Saddler, Andrew Lumes, Gerald Harvis but I could not find nothing related with seascapes. I probably have all the names wrong.
Thanks,
LuciaLucia, another seascape artist is E. John Robinson; although he died several years ago, his website is still very active http://www.ejohnrobinson.com/ and NorthLight Books sells a lot of his video courses http://www.northlightshop.com/e-john-robinson. Hope this helps. Stu

Sgourlayart
01-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Johannes - Thank you for session 2 of our Webinar yesterday. Reviewing homework is so helpful for everyone. Your painting demonstration assists all of us regardless of medium - your problem solving, the BIG 13, the Golden 150, etc. As you discussed after the class - and we appreciate your staying until almost 6 PM EST - a follow-up class of the BIG 13 (with subdivisions) is a great idea. We cannot hear this enough, and your stating it is best to consider one Commandment at a time makes so much sense to this forever student.

Thanks again, MickiI did not stay until 6PM and missed the conversation, but I agree completely with this idea. I had thought of going through Johannes videos and comming up with examples for the golden nuggets and the Commandments, but found it a bit of a daunting task. I do have the commandments posted right above my easel and his words seem to ring in my ears at times, but unfortunately not frequently enough. I would love to see an "advanced" course like this and I believe that it may spark a lot of interest in all his courses. Stu

mickisew
01-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I did not stay until 6PM and missed the conversation, but I agree completely with this idea. I had thought of going through Johannes videos and comming up with examples for the golden nuggets and the Commandments, but found it a bit of a daunting task. I do have the commandments posted right above my easel and his words seem to ring in my ears at times, but unfortunately not frequently enough. I would love to see an "advanced" course like this and I believe that it may spark a lot of interest in all his courses. Stu

We are on the same page, my friend. It is even a challenge to go through the Landscape from Photos course - the most complete course IMO. In this regard, I went to IMP and copied the class description for each course and put it in my notebook for easy reference. Even still, there are a lot of hours to cover. Many of us have been with Johannes for over two years, and we still need the reminders - after all, art is a never-ending path of learning. I really hope Johannes considers this class. The class, along with the paint-along sessions where we practice what Jo teaches, will be so beneficial.

Micki

Sgourlayart
01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
We are on the same page, my friend. It is even a challenge to go through the Landscape from Photos course - the most complete course IMO. In this regard, I went to IMP and copied the class description for each course and put it in my notebook for easy reference. Even still, there are a lot of hours to cover. Many of us have been with Johannes for over two years, and we still need the reminders - after all, art is a never-ending path of learning. I really hope Johannes considers this class. The class, along with the paint-along sessions where we practice what Jo teaches, will be so beneficial.

MickiMicki, I did the same thing with the course descriptions and put Robert's notes in there also for the landscape course. I did the landscape course after it was finished because I only found out about it on the very last weekend. But I have done every course since and all the paintalongs. I do take screen shots with Picasa when Jo does his powerpoint lectures and I can print that out or just put all the photos in a computer file. I still need and love the reminders. If I could just make his words flow to my brush without going through my brain, my work would be spectacular; unfortunately brush miles is what it is all about. I hope that Jo gives this serious consideration and gives a kind of a "Jo's best golden nuggets and Commandments" class. Stu

jeanetteg
01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi, Does anyone know if there is homework? I seem to have missed it Saturday if there is. I sure enjoyed the class and am looking forward to next week.

Rosemarie
01-21-2013, 12:50 AM
If I could just make his words flow to my brush without going through my brain, my work would be spectacular; Stu

What a lovely thought!! :cat:

Sgourlayart
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
What a lovely thought!! :cat:Thanks, but just a dream!! I am willing to do the hard work of training my brain and really enjoy the encouragement and assistance of all on this site. On to the next homework assignment and last class of this course. Stu

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Latest paintings.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8299.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2013/135220-IMG_8308.jpg

mickisew
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
[quote=Johannes Instructor]Latest paintings.

Yep - all the Commandments and Nuggets are there - and no kissing! Displaying your work is not just helpful for learning - it is exciting to view and wander about. Excellent - as always.

Micki

HazelP
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Brrrrr! Do you have any white paint left!!!

These paintings are beautiful! We do not experience scenes like this in New Zealand but they remind me of a trip we had to Switzerland.

paintncook
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Stu

You wrote:
If I could just make his words flow to my brush without going through my brain
My problem is that my brain has a vision but my brush won't cooperate. If only I could put the image in the brain down on paper or canvas like a printer functions, I could be rich and famous, haha.
Kathy

Sgourlayart
01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Stu

You wrote:
My problem is that my brain has a vision but my brush won't cooperate. If only I could put the image in the brain down on paper or canvas like a printer functions, I could be rich and famous, haha.
KathyMe too, Kathy! Stu

Sgourlayart
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Stu

You wrote:
KathyMe too, Kathy! The problem is that our visions are in our right brains and our left brains still have control of our paintbrushes. We need some short circuits. Stu

carol_lee
01-22-2013, 01:39 AM
The problem is that our visions are in our right brains and our left brains still have control of our paintbrushes.

How true!!!!

jmcedeno
01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Not long ago I read in an article, online, that one good way to stimulate the right brain is to do things in reverse to the usual way you do, for instance: use the left hand instead of the right; walk backwards, count numbers in reverse, recite the alphabet backwards, spell words backward, look at pictures upside down; and at the computer work the mouse with the left hand, etc. GO FIGURE!

Valleygarden
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Those winter scenes are lovely Jo! missed the demo in the second Seascapes class, but looking forward to buying the recordings when they get posted by Northlight.

fox-rivers
01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Re: essentials of Painting Seascapes Discussion

hi,
Despite many problems, I've enjoyed the class thus far and i hope I can purchase a copy of the recordings for study.

fox rivers

mickisew
01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you for another successful Webinar, Johannes. I look forward to our next learning opportunity - a Webinar with Ken and the continuation of our Paint-Along Sessions.

Please let us know soonest on the availability of the download for the Seascapes Webinar and the upcoming classes.

Your forever student - Micki

paintncook
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
JOHANNES,
Thank you for your critique on my painting (the one with the wave pointing towards the lighthouse on the rocks). The curve you made in the wave with Photoshop was such an improvement that I am inspired to paint it again, as much as I hate repeating a painting. I sure missed these specific courses and wish you could continue them somehow, although I can't think of subject matter you haven't covered. I enjoy the critiques and Photoshop improvements you do on submitted paintings and learn a lot from that. I don't know if it would be feasible, but what if you, for a price, had us sign up for a course in which you give us subjects or principles to base paintings on? Your students would chose their own compositions and submit their paintings and you could critique them in 'Go-to-Meeting' and you could do paintings based on the same suggested subject or principle to demonstrate how it should be done. I enjoy the student participation and your online critiques and corrections. I look forward to getting the Seascape course as I had to miss all but the last session.
Kathy

Banner
01-27-2013, 02:01 AM
THankyou Johannes again you continue to give us those wonderful Golden Nuggets I look forward to your next paint along kind regards from Auckland New Zealand

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
JOHANNES,
Thank you for your critique on my painting (the one with the wave pointing towards the lighthouse on the rocks). The curve you made in the wave with Photoshop was such an improvement that I am inspired to paint it again, as much as I hate repeating a painting. I sure missed these specific courses and wish you could continue them somehow, although I can't think of subject matter you haven't covered. I enjoy the critiques and Photoshop improvements you do on submitted paintings and learn a lot from that. I don't know if it would be feasible, but what if you, for a price, had us sign up for a course in which you give us subjects or principles to base paintings on? Your students would chose their own compositions and submit their paintings and you could critique them in 'Go-to-Meeting' and you could do paintings based on the same suggested subject or principle to demonstrate how it should be done. I enjoy the student participation and your online critiques and corrections. I look forward to getting the Seascape course as I had to miss all but the last session.
Kathy
Yes that could work. Students turn in paintings and I bring them up in photoshop and work on them more thoroughly instead of trying to cover 50 homework submissions in 90 min

Sgourlayart
01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes that could work. Students turn in paintings and I bring them up in photoshop and work on them more thoroughly instead of trying to cover 50 homework submissions in 90 min
Johannes, I am game to try this. How about if we find a dozen or more artists to give this a try? Kind of like a virtual studio lesson. Stu

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Johannes, I am game to try this. How about if we find a dozen or more artists to give this a try? Kind of like a virtual studio lesson. Stu
Another idea could be a paint along and some of you put a webcam on your end and I can supervise you while you paint. There is a logitech cam HD cam that inverts the image for 100 bucks. Anyone game?

Sgourlayart
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Another idea could be a paint along and some of you put a webcam on your end and I can supervise you while you paint. There is a logitech cam HD cam that inverts the image for 100 bucks. Anyone game?Sounds interesting, but will we have enough bandwidth to transmit a reasonable image? Stu

Jacdesusbielle
01-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Yes, sounds interesting. But how many people can you watch during a paint along ? And how much bandwidth do we need ? This formula would be the best for those who want to have the best of the private teacher ..... I am afraid Jo will have too many volunteers .....
Love your two last winter paintings Jo ! You put a lot of what you taught us in them. And thank you again for the last three classes. So many good things to remember and put into practice ......

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Sounds interesting, but will we have enough bandwidth to transmit a reasonable image? Stu
Yes because you would be using your upload speed. We can try it.

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, sounds interesting. But how many people can you watch during a paint along ? And how much bandwidth do we need ? This formula would be the best for those who want to have the best of the private teacher ..... I am afraid Jo will have too many volunteers .....
Love your two last winter paintings Jo ! You put a lot of what you taught us in them. And thank you again for the last three classes. So many good things to remember and put into practice ......
All you would have to do is create a free ustream account. Then give me your link. I would be watching four monitors on two computers alternating between students. You place your Logitech cam in front of your painting. It has the option of flipping the image and voila I can watch you paint just as clear as you see me and help you along the way so it would be called, "Paint and Help Along Course". Those who would be supervised would pay an additional fee because I cannot take care of hundreds obviously.

painterted
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
So Jo, this would be somewhat like a workshop, only we are at home. This sounds like a good idea.

ted

paintncook
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
All you would have to do is create a free ustream account. Then give me your link. I would be watching four monitors on two computers alternating between students. You place your Logitech cam in front of your painting. It has the option of flipping the image and voila I can watch you paint just as clear as you see me and help you along the way so it would be called, "Paint and Help Along Course". Those who would be supervised would pay an additional fee because I cannot take care of hundreds obviously.
Johannes,
All this sounds like something each of us would have to do a trial run on to see how it would work. I have a little portable video cam that I got before computers had built in video cams. Would setting up a laptop, I-Pad, or the small portable video cam in front of the painting work? If not, I think I am out of the picture on this. I am not in a position right now to invest in any video equipment. I had no idea I was opening such a large can of worms with my original suggestion, lol. In this case, I think you would have to limit the numbers in your 'class.' That would surely make this more expensive as well. Maybe you can set up the active class like this as well as a more static version with submissions from those not actively present in class, but participating offline and submitting at the end of class or in a pre-set session and getting online critiques afterwards. This may make this more economically feasible with actively online students paying more and the offline participants with a lower fee. The offline participants could be unlimited in number, but the actively online participants would have to be limited for obvious reasons. The offline students could watch what is going on and that would be instructive, even if they can't get their own work critiqued. Is this confusing, or what?!?
Kathy

Tonalist
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
So.. as I'm understanding this.. It would just be a Paint along as usual
except a few students who wanted to get a web cam could broadcast to Jo for personal comments. Right?..

Sounds simple enough.

woody

paintncook
01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
So.. as I'm understanding this.. It would just be a Paint along as usual
except a few students who wanted to get a web cam could broadcast to Jo for personal comments. Right?..

Sounds simple enough.

woody

When I suggested a class in which Jo critiques our paintings online, I wasn't thinking in terms of a paint along, but that we all paint our own compositions, not just copy something Jo is doing. I thought of Jo presenting us with a theme or principle and we paint an example of it for Jo to ccritique. Then Jo suggested we do it live and he critique while we paint. I don't think it we necessarily all have to be painting the same picture, but I guess that's up to Jo.

debwk
01-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I haven't arrived at this point in technology yet.....but, am delighted to have purchased the 50% off essentials courses, started watching part of one today, learned so much all over again, and must say your reference photos are great, and a screamin deal. Thank you, Deb

Sgourlayart
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Johannes,
All this sounds like something each of us would have to do a trial run on to see how it would work. I have a little portable video cam that I got before computers had built in video cams. Would setting up a laptop, I-Pad, or the small portable video cam in front of the painting work? If not, I think I am out of the picture on this. I am not in a position right now to invest in any video equipment. I had no idea I was opening such a large can of worms with my original suggestion, lol. In this case, I think you would have to limit the numbers in your 'class.' That would surely make this more expensive as well. Maybe you can set up the active class like this as well as a more static version with submissions from those not actively present in class, but participating offline and submitting at the end of class or in a pre-set session and getting online critiques afterwards. This may make this more economically feasible with actively online students paying more and the offline participants with a lower fee. The offline participants could be unlimited in number, but the actively online participants would have to be limited for obvious reasons. The offline students could watch what is going on and that would be instructive, even if they can't get their own work critiqued. Is this confusing, or what?!?
KathyKathy, you really got into your left brain on this one; the way I see it is exactly like Woody expressed--this would be like a paintalong, except that each of the four students would make their own way during the assignment and Johannes would go from student to student with help as each needed it. This would be very much like the paintalongs where Johannes spends some time with his live students who come to the studio and paint along with him. The difference would be that tha students are now in a virtual studio on the Internet. Hopefully I, too, have not made this more confusing. What I would be concerned most about would be the technology involved, especially considering some of the transmission glitches that have been encountered with the live classes (actually the paintalongs have been pretty trouble free compared to some of the free "Essentials" classes with thousands in them). I would recommend to Johannes the following feasibility study: find an avid student of yours who does not live close enough to Hamilton to come into your studio for the next series of paintalongs and set them up with the camera and have them paint from home during the upcoming paintalongs and transmit to you. You could have someone monitor how they are doing or take a break from your painting every once in awhile to help your virtual student as you do with the live students. See how it goes; if it works 50 miles away it will work 5000 miles away. You sould be able to grab a static image of the virtual student's painting and show them what to do with Photoshop or on a separate canvas that you paint on. That's my brainstorm on this; hopefully not more confusing. I think this is a great idea; thank you, Kathy (paintncook) for getting the ball rolling. Stu

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Johannes,
Kathy
Take into account that not everyone will show their work on a cam. Only those who want to. The 10 people or so that would want supervision would provide me with their video links so I bring their paintings up and everyone can hear me make suggestions. This will work as long as the ones who want monitoring are willing to spend the $100 or so on a webcam. Unless they have a webcam already.

Sgourlayart
01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Take into account that not everyone will show their work on a cam. Only those who want to. The 10 people or so that would want supervision would provide me with their video links so I bring their paintings up and everyone can hear me make suggestions. This will work as long as the ones who want monitoring are willing to spend the $100 or so on a webcam. Unless they have a webcam already.Johannes, I have a webcam from Logitech and have used it for Skype but little else. I can set it up so that it monitors my easel. What do I need to do to open up a videochat with your studio for two way conversations? I am interested in giving it a try in one of your upcoming paintalong sessions and making myself a virtual student during the paintalong. I have good broadband access. Tell me what I need to do, where I can get more information and what software I will need. Also tips about where to put the camera in relation to my easel, etc. will help. I thinks it's a great idea. Stu

paintncook
01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Kathy, you really got into your left brain on this one; the way I see it is exactly like Woody expressed--this would be like a paintalong, except that each of the four students would make their own way during the assignment and Johannes would go from student to student with help as each needed it. This would be very much like the paintalongs where Johannes spends some time with his live students who come to the studio and paint along with him. The difference would be that tha students are now in a virtual studio on the Internet. Hopefully I, too, have not made this more confusing. What I would be concerned most about would be the technology involved, especially considering some of the transmission glitches that have been encountered with the live classes (actually the paintalongs have been pretty trouble free compared to some of the free "Essentials" classes with thousands in them). I would recommend to Johannes the following feasibility study: find an avid student of yours who does not live close enough to Hamilton to come into your studio for the next series of paintalongs and set them up with the camera and have them paint from home during the upcoming paintalongs and transmit to you. You could have someone monitor how they are doing or take a break from your painting every once in awhile to help your virtual student as you do with the live students. See how it goes; if it works 50 miles away it will work 5000 miles away. You sould be able to grab a static image of the virtual student's painting and show them what to do with Photoshop or on a separate canvas that you paint on. That's my brainstorm on this; hopefully not more confusing. I think this is a great idea; thank you, Kathy (paintncook) for getting the ball rolling. Stu

I think this is evolving into a paintalong type thing, but that wasn't what I was going for at first, meaning everybody doing the same painting as Johannes paints it. My thought was giving an assignment and the student picks his own interpretation of it, choosing his own composition, photo reference, etc. Then Johannes would critique them online. We would all be seeing several different painings, not all the same scene. Johannes would critique the paintings telling us how each did or didn't achieve the goal. I guess it is the interpretation of 'paint along' that is the sticking point. Does it mean painting along using the same reference and composition or painting along using our own interpretaion or choice in reference?

LynnM
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
What you describe, paintncook, is really what we are doing when we submit paintings for Jo's critique here on Wet canvas.

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Johannes, I have a webcam from Logitech and have used it for Skype but little else. I can set it up so that it monitors my easel. What do I need to do to open up a videochat with your studio for two way conversations? I am interested in giving it a try in one of your upcoming paintalong sessions and making myself a virtual student during the paintalong. I have good broadband access. Tell me what I need to do, where I can get more information and what software I will need. Also tips about where to put the camera in relation to my easel, etc. will help. I thinks it's a great idea. Stu
I will give you all the instructions in due time.

SoftEdges
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I had problems all three weeks with gotowebinar. When I switched to Jo's website and clicked on watch live, I had no further problems. I can't wait to buy the course so I can see what I missed. Is there anyplace with the nuggets and commandments listed? I would like to print them.

paintncook
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
What you describe, paintncook, is really what we are doing when we submit paintings for Jo's critique here on Wet canvas.
Not really. What I had in mind was doing this in 'Go to Meeting' where Jo does his photshop thing with all the submissions and goes into a more detailed discussion of them. He doesn't do that for our submissions in the forum. Also, I thought he could give us an assignment and we would paint examples to fulfill that so he could critique on our understanding of a principle. It would be more like his courses, such as Rocks, Waterfalls, Snow, etc. and we would submit our own compositions. In those courses he critiques our paintings using photoshop to improve them.

Johannes Instructor
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Not really. What I had in mind was doing this in 'Go to Meeting' where Jo does his photshop thing with all the submissions and goes into a more detailed discussion of them. He doesn't do that for our submissions in the forum. Also, I thought he could give us an assignment and we would paint examples to fulfill that so he could critique on our understanding of a principle. It would be more like his courses, such as Rocks, Waterfalls, Snow, etc. and we would submit our own compositions. In those courses he critiques our paintings using photoshop to improve them.
Yes we could really use a course where I give assignements with ref photos and the students submit their work and I bring them up in photoshop and work on them. We should do this in March.

HazelP
02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Yes we could really use a course where I give assignements with ref photos and the students submit their work and I bring them up in photoshop and work on them. We should do this in March.

Sounds a great idea - count me in!

Artcat369
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Jo, perhaps I missed this somewhere - I have some questions about atmospheric perspective of the ocean.

At the horizon line, is the ocean generally lighter and cooler? I've observed many different hues, intensity, as well as changes in temperature at different times of the day, especially at sunrise and sunset.

What's confusing is that at times, I've seen a pale stripe on the water at the horizon line, and at other times, a relatively darker (than the body of water) line at the horizon.

Also, the distant 1/3 of the water sometimes looks dark violet-blue, with more blue and lighter in the foreground.

I'm totally confused. Could you give us some brief info about this?
thanks!:wave:

chodi
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Johannes,

During the seascape demo in oil, you mentionned the use of underpainting white to work the foam.
Can we use it if the painting is not finished in one sitting?
As it probably is a leaner paint, any risk it will crack over time?

Diane

crazywoman53
02-17-2013, 04:01 PM

I would love to do something like this. Because of where I live doing the paint alongs is not feasable for me. I don't have high speed internet and have to use a mobile connection. It works fine for the webinar type class but uses too much data for the paint along. It would cost me over $300 a month to do the paint along just in internet fees. So that's why I haven't been participating with your paint along classes. I've been painting a lot though and can see where my skills have improved. I haven't posted for critique as I can't get the student critique thread to open anymore. It's too huge and takes forever. May I suggest you put a lock on that one and begin a student critique thread #2? Your instruction has been so valuable for me. I was approached by a gallery owner this last fall who wants my art work and invited to do a solo show at two other places this year, both were at their initiation not mine. So I am tickled that other's are beginning to see my work as desireable to one degree or another and I feel I owe all this advancement to your wonderful classes. But I feel I still have lots of room for improvement and would love to get further instruction from you. I would really like for each of us to work on paintings of our own chooseing and you critique them even if you have to limit the number of paintings per session you critique in a webinar format. I finally attempted my first seascape/skyscape and would love to post it for your critique but can't get the thread to open. Anyway.. I will be watching to see if you do the March webinar photo ref assignment class as I'd like to do that as well.