PDA

View Full Version : Listen to the River

fishfan
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Well, I didn't fall off the edge of the earth, but I came close a few times. I haven't been painting for many months, but now that the snows have come and I'm spending more time around the house, I'm back at it again. Happy New Year to all and I'll try to drop in more often in 2013. Here's my first of the year. It went quite quickly, four evenings of painting. The scene is in New Brunswick, along the Miramichi River where I fish for Atlantic salmon every summer. Since the river is not visible, but in the low area in the middle ground, you just have to imagine its presence by the sound of the rapids. I also like the title because rivers never get lost; they always know where they're going and how to get there. The painting was done with Senns on heavy Strathmore Bristol vellum. Oil pencils were used for a few of the very fine branches. The painting is 8.5x11.5 inches. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2013/80491-66_Listen_to_the_River.jpg

Flycatcher10
01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Hey Ed, it's so nice to see you and your work again, a couple of evenings? This piece is awesome. Happy New Year!

Wow, this latest is stunning - truly gorgeous. Your fern and leaf work is fantastic, almost looks like lace - very fine lines. The tree trunks are spectacular from the color, texture to the lighting - very nice. Nice path, leads the viewer into the scene to get back there and explore the river.

Yeah, I like your title!

Question, did you do an underpainting with this piece? Do you sketch the entire scene you are painting (asking because this book that highlights landscapes by 4 different painters, each sketch their scene in incredible detail)?

artsask
01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Beautiful, I feel almost like I could walk right into those woods.
Trudi

barbiemumu
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Stunning...detail work is amazing...

SammyH
01-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Ed, this is a beautiful, restful, serene scene. Lot of interesting colors on the tree trunks. It's so realistic that I think I hear the birds chattering in the trees. Exceptionally nice painting.

#5E610B
01-04-2013, 02:09 AM
The painting was done with Senns on heavy Strathmore Bristol vellum. Oil pencils were used for a few of the very fine branches.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above comments. Very beautiful scene! I was wondering about the "oil pencils" you used. Are these specifically "oil pastel pencils" as opposed to oil pastel sticks...and if so, would you please tell me where they are available to purchase? In my area, I am having no success whatsoever in finding them. If anyone else could point me in the right direction, I'd be ever so grateful. Thank you. :)

imaginationcounts
01-04-2013, 02:21 AM
a place where I would sit and fish.... very pleasant painting I took myself there to see the river on the other side of the trees.... thankyou and it was peaceful...

lalflen
01-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Beautiful!

steveoreno
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Great work! I can hear the river through the forest and your treatment of middle ground to mid is good. I like the perspective through the trees and the opposite hillside to the foreground. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Pat Isaac
01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
This is a fantastic, painting, Ed. I have missed your work and it is nice to see you back.
I love the sunlight peeking through the trees and the rich undergrowth in the foreground.

Pat

mirizar
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow! Look at all the detail and in such a small size! Amazing!

fishfan
01-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Just a quick note to thank you all for the welcome and positive comments. I'm doing some framing tonight and am already thinking about the next painting. For the question on oil pencils...right now I'm using the Walnut Hollow brand, but sadly they're no longer being made. Some threads in the OP channels dealt with the the varieties of oil pencils available. A simple search here or on Google will turn up some which I think are suitable, although I have no personal experience yet.

theopolis
01-05-2013, 04:47 AM
It's beautiful..... I'm inspired by it :)

maryinasia
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
gorgeous!

PETE K
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Fantastic looking painting.

#5E610B
01-05-2013, 11:37 PM
For the question on oil pencils...right now I'm using the Walnut Hollow brand, but sadly they're no longer being made. Some threads in the OP channels dealt with the the varieties of oil pencils available. A simple search here or on Google will turn up some which I think are suitable, although I have no personal experience yet.

I appreciate your response, thank you so much. I've heard of the Walnut Hollow brand of oil pastel pencils but that they are no longer available. I'll keep looking, though, as I just might find them somewhere online. Thanks again :)

Lasmeja
01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Stunning! Fine landscape!

CarlyHardy
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Wonderful painting! I hear the birds and wildlife moving thru the brush! Great title. I also use the Walnut Hollow oil pencils!! Lucky to have gotten a couple of sets when they were around...but I gave most of them away in workshops! Still have one set!

I've also used Prismacolor pencils...they are oil based but not quite and soft.

stee71
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Has a real sense of depth through the trees to the river beyond

Yannse
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM
This is real wonderful ! I should walk my dog in the beautiful painting;)

mollerman
01-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Beautiful, well done scene!!!

Adam Huffer
01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
omfg i've got some mixed feelings right about now...im either beyond very impressed or extremely envious haha well done sir ;)