PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time - an ATC exchange project

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Welcome to our first ATC (artist trading card) exchange in this forum!!!:thumbsup:

Deadline for project: end of Feb 2013
(could be extended to end of March if necessary)

ATCs are small pieces of artwork measuring 2.5 by 3.5 ins. They are stored in transparent plastic trading card sleeves to keep them clean and smudge-free. They are traded between artists.

Our topic is 'once upon a time'...or characters and incidents from children's literature. I hope this gives good scope for your imagination to run riot.

Perhaps you will focus on traditional folk tales (such as 'Why pigs snuffle in the dirt'- from Fiji), or well-known fairy tales ( such as 'Sleeping Beauty'- from Grimm). You might choose a poem, such as 'Jabberwocky'- Lewis Carol.

Please leave a link to the tale if it is fairly obscure.

Since this is an exchange project, we are limiting the exchange partners to 8. This will be on a first come-first serve basis.

(But note, you can still participate and post your ATCs on this topic in this thread and NOT sign on for the exchange part of the project)

For those who do want to exchange ATC art, let me know and I will add you to the list.

For those who are new to ATCs, I will be posting some links and information about how to make them, etc.

If you have good links to making ATCs, or other info of relevance to the thread, please post them for us to visit.

Lets get started...:D ;)

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
For the exchange part of the project, please note that if you sign up for it, you are signing on to make 7 ATCs...one for each of the other signees.

List of exchange partners so far.

1. artbyjune
2. tyree
3. azulparsnip
4. jacquip
5. wildgoose
6. oldrockchick
7. marmsk

Please p-m me (artbyjune) with your postal address. I will compile a list and send it out to the 8 participants.

At the end of the project, when all the art is posted and admired!!!, we can begin to exchange cards.

Deadline: end of February (perhaps to be extended to end of March).

:thumbsup:

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Link to making ATCs

http://www.altered-art.net/make-artist-trading-cards-2.html

ATC site for exchanging art

http://www.atcsforall.com/index.php

;)

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Size: 2.5 by 3.5 ins only
Medium: all mediums welcome
Style: whimsical, realistic, symbolic, any other

Feel free to post original interpretations of the tale(s) you choose.
Or you may like to study the art of well known fairy tale illustrators, such as Tenneil or Rackham, etc.

Lets get creating. Looking forward to seeing your teen-tiny art!!

:wave:

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Here's one I made today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2013/106623-girlrabbit1a4k.jpg

ATC, pen and watercolours. 'Girl and rabbit, in grass'.

It was not made for this project but it could work for an 'Alice and the white rabbit' theme.

tyree
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
For the exchange part of the project, please note that if you sign up for it, you are signing on to make 7 ATCs...one for each of the other signees.

List of exchange partners.

1. Artbyjune
2 tyree

When you have signed on to exchange ATCs, please p-m me (artbyjune) with your postal address. I will compile a list and send it out to the 8 participants. At the end of the month, when all the art is posted and admired!!!, we can begin to exchange cards.

:thumbsup::wave:

tyree
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
june....i hope i signed up right:eek: thats a wonderful one...i love that bg..!!!! tyree

azulparsnip
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM

1. Artbyjune
2.tyree
3.azulparsnip

When you have signed on to exchange ATCs, please p-m me (artbyjune) with your postal address. I will compile a list and send it out to the 8 participants. At the end of the month, when all the art is posted and admired!!!, we can begin to exchange cards.

:thumbsup:

Oboy, this is gonna be fun.....

QUESTION : can we do each one different OR all the same which combination there off ever we like?

WildGoose
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Hi June!

This project seems right up my alley, as I"ve done a few Fairy Tale and Folk Tale collaged cards in the last month or so!:clap:

Those displayed are from a FT swap I was in over on the ACTS For All site.
The upload basicaly displays my method of working ,for one card, and the final results for 3 others I made on this theme.

I choose PD photo/postcard images - the central character is usually a theatrical one from the last, or turn-of-the last Century that I think I can pull together visually to re-tell a classic story

The images are more often than not B/W, so I digitally clean up and colour them.
When they are printed up, I cut and re-assemble them on the ATC card as collages, sometimes adding pen-work or other small embellishments such as decorative borders.

For ATCS I like to use playing cards as a background...is that, and my method OK for this?
Cheers,
WildGoose

WildGoose
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Good Gravy!:eek:
Sorry for the enormous sizes!
...Have to learn how to re-do submitting here again

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Wild goose...lovely cards..and am I right in assuming you want to do the exchange?

Robin, we are in a learning curve on this project and so I say for now anything goes: all different is good.

Folks the only requirement is the size. You can use playing cards, plain cardstock, fancy papers, collage, painting and drawing materials...whatever you fancy. Have fun.

Remember, for the exchange part of the project, you will be making cards to send to the other participants.

For non exchange, you can show your experiments and try-outs here. No problem. We want to see your progress reports as well as finals!!

jacquip
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by artbyjune

1. Artbyjune
2.tyree
3.azulparsnip
4.jacquip

Yep I'll jump in with this one. Love the topic, great work there June. Now to get busy.

Q. do you want us to post the ones we are making to send out to others in the thread, and do we decide who we send each to?

WildGoose
01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Wild goose...lovely cards..and am I right in assuming you want to do the exchange?

Robin, we are in a learning curve on this project and so I say for now anything goes: all different is good.

Folks the only requirement is the size. You can use playing cards, plain cardstock, fancy papers, collage, painting and drawing materials...whatever you fancy. Have fun.

Remember, for the exchange part of the project, you will be making cards to send to the other participants.

For non exchange, you can show your experiments and try-outs here. No problem. We want to see your progress reports as well as finals!!

YES!!:clap: :thumbsup:

artbyjune
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by artbyjune

1. Artbyjune
2.tyree
3.azulparsnip
4.jacquip
5.wildgoose

Q. do you want us to post the ones we are making to send out to others in the thread, and do we decide who we send each to?

Yes, please post all of your work for the ATC project....in this thread.

Tell us which ones are for experiment only and which ones you have made to exchange .....when you post them.

You choose who receives which card of yours.

When I get all the addresses in, I will p-m participants the list and its up to you to send out your specially-made cards to each of us.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing your art...in person... IRL!!

:D

artbyjune
01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2013/106623-ijourney1a4k.jpg

An ATC doodle done today. Pen & watercolours. They seemed to be like the 3 pets in 'The incredible journey' to me. I liked that book a lot when I read it as a kid! And loved the movie version too.

This is me starting to think about children's literature.

(This ATC not necessarily for the exchange.)

:wink2:

jacquip
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
June that is one cute ATC. I have been racking my brain trying to think of fairy tales and stories. I have a small collection of old Golden Books, I might look at them for some inspiration. I am worried I will not get them done and disappoint people.

tyree
01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
june....i like this one too....i was think about going with Grimm,,,,,tyree

artbyjune
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Jacqui, I know the feeling. WE don't want to be stressing about doing the cards in time.

So the project will be a 2-monther to give us time to relax and enjoy.

And if you go over 2 months...no problem. We can work around it I'm sure!!

azulparsnip
01-04-2013, 07:11 AM
two lovely cards June. Nice lines - I too really like messing around with red ink

I've got a swell book of Alice in Wonderland to use .

TWO MONTHS!!!! KOWABUNGA!!! I LIKE that.

artbyjune
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Alice in wonderland and grimm's fairy tales. Two great choices and also favourites of mines. I haven't decided on my book yet!!

azulparsnip
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Here's 4 takes of one http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2013/88676-Scan.gif .

Ink

I'll have more of other illustrations.

Once I get going on one illustration I make a few copies as the enjoyment and comprehension increases.

jacquip
01-14-2013, 10:41 PM
These look really good Robin, I like the variations

WildGoose
01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Once I get going on one illustration I make a few copies as the enjoyment and comprehension increases.

That's an interesting way of going about it, Robin....not sure I could go that route with my work, if say, my second one didn't seem an improvement - to my eyes

...But you saying that made me look a bit closer and appreciate the subtle differences....like the differing positions of the caterpillar ( he seems more forwards or more back ) and Alice's legs and feet:thumbsup:

artbyjune
01-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Love the 'Alice' illustrations. A few on the same image is a good way to explore technique and style. And isn't Alice a brilliant source for a rich variety of imagery: imaginary and real animals, people, and playing cards!!

Its great to see this start on your 'Once upon a time' ATCs. I haven't started yet.

tyree
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
robin....those are fabulous, love the design to the whole atc......ive just got started on mine....its a Hansel and Gretel .....guess who its by.....go ahead guess.....yup...Rackman:D :lol: .....tyree:wave:

artbyjune
01-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing the ATC designs, Tyree.

You can copy other artists work for your ATC's, or you can do your own original takes on the children's stories/ poems. Your choice. Mix and match too.

artbyjune
01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
A few preliminary ATCs of 'Alice'.

artbyjune
01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I got out my paperback copy of 'Alice' and hope to read it this weekend. I haven't read it all the way thru since I was 7. My gran gave me it and it was an immediate hit with me!!

azulparsnip
01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
you have some interesting sketches - good beginnings, June

oldrockchick
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
This sounds good - how do we sign up?

At the moment I look out the window and it's like Narnia....

I didnt' see this in the Project system.;... I'm interested.;...

oldrockchick
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I see many of you have started already....

I'm a bit confused. i'd love to do the exchange but I usually look in the Project section of WC and I don't see this here... how do I sign up please.?

azulparsnip
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi thar ORChick -
just put your name on the list by copy and paste the list in a reply window with your name next on the list like we each did. And your all set...SWEET!!!! Glad you're here . This is a two month project.

Looking forward to hangin' with ya:thumbsup:

oldrockchick
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi thar ORChick -
just put your name on the list by copy and paste the list in a reply window with your name next on the list like we each did. And your all set...SWEET!!!! Glad you're here . This is a two month project.

Looking forward to hangin' with ya:thumbsup:

thanks Robyn

Who do I send my address too.

azulparsnip
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Old rock chick - look at bottom line of post #2 of this thread for directions on sending her your address.

I did some practice sketches today. Thought drawing twiddle dum and twiddle would be fun but didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy working on the Red Queen however. A few more practices and I hope to do some ATC's of her.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2013/88676-Scan-9.gif

artbyjune
01-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Lin (oldrockchick), please pm me your address asap. I will send out the list of addresses to all the signees at the end of Feb and then we start to exchange ATCs. So plenty of time to create your works!!

azulparsnip
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
did more practice sketches last nighthttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2013/88676-Scan-2-copy.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2013/88676-Scan-1-copy.gif

Marmsk
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Okay, I think I got this right.....
List of exchange partners so far. I have PM'd June with my address.

1. Artbyjune
2.tyree
3.azulparsnip
4.jacquip
5.wildgoose
6. oldrockchick
7.Marmsk

oldrockchick
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
okie dokie I'll pm my address tooo.

jacquip
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
`Robin your sketches are looking great. I am still debating on which fairy tale/s to work with.

Marmsk
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
After thinking about it, I have decided to do "The Hobbit" and am working on original sketches with inspiration from previous artists' work. Quite exciting now that I have chosen a subject. I will scan and post a couple preliminary sketches soon.

oldrockchick
01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I was having a thought of this in bed and decided on my theme.....

artbyjune
01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
The deadline for finishing is currently the end of February...but if we need more time we can extend it to the end of March. I realise making 7 cards on a prescribed topic can be daunting, so extra time may be good for all.

I am thinking 'fairy tale' but I am not really into it as yet...just skitting about really.

artbyjune
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Marmsk (Eileen), welcome to this ATC exchange project. I am looking forward to seeing your artwork.

I didn't receive your postal address yet so I wonder if you forgot to PM me?

I haven't received Jacqui's address yet.

artbyjune
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Robin, I love your latest 'Alice' sketches. You are really getting into it!!

artbyjune
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Beg your pardon Marmsk. I found your address in my email!! Thank you.

artbyjune
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks Jacqui for your address. I have all 7 now.

There's one space left to join the exchange part of this project, folks!

artbyjune
02-02-2013, 03:07 AM
I worked on a few ideas. Beauty and the beast, Rapunzel, red riding hood, and Aesop's fox and grapes.

trafford
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
All the drawings so far are terrific...sorry I'm not up to joining in this time, I'm so back logged with things I have to do. Hope you do this again some time and I can join in. :heart:

jacquip
02-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Those cards look wonderful June, esp that cheeky fox.
I finally picked my theme... yeah.

azulparsnip
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
wow, June those are great!

WildGoose
02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Glad to know Aesop's Fables is an OK idea...love them!:clap:
And curious - What tale is that intriguing picture of the girl with the small monkey from?

artbyjune
02-04-2013, 08:05 AM
The girl with the small monkey is just me playing with the idea of beauty and the beast. Although I once wrote a story about a girl and a monkey which appeared in the children's magazine 'jabberwocky' NZ ...about a million years ago!!

oldrockchick
02-04-2013, 03:17 PM
so how will this work then... i'm used to ones in the Wc Porject System...

We get sent a list of addresses, we paint one for each and send them one to each. Then we notify by pm when we receive them and they get posted for all to see.... Is that right? We dont' post until the recipient gets them.?

I'll start when I get the list then.

artbyjune
02-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi Lin. I think we are doing things a bit different here. We are posting as we go along and then at the end of the project we are mailing the ATCs to the recipients. The artist chooses which of her cards goes to which recipient. I think that way we all have the fun of choosing a card to send which we think 'fits' the recipient in some way. And yet its also still exciting for the recipient as you don't know which card will come.

Its a good idea to pm people when you receive their card! Thanks for that helpful hint.

The recipient can also mention the card in this thread when they get it so we all eventually know who gets what!

I hope I made the 'rules' simple. We can always change the way we do things in the next exchange project if needed.

oldrockchick
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
k thanks june will get working soon

tyree
02-08-2013, 07:04 AM
june....these are fabulous atc's your creating!!!! i finally have one completed and am starting a new one....i will put it on the puter tonight....its in pencil...i dont know why they take me so long, cuz they are so small, but they do:lol: tyree

artbyjune
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Here are a couple done yesterday.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2013/106623-foxmasks1a4k.jpg

Aesop: fox and masks

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2013/106623-smedusa1a4k.jpg

Greek myth: Slain Medusa

I tried a bit of texture medium and also a bit of sparkle medium on these 2. Both pen over watercolours.

Its really nice to experiment with watercolours on this small scale.

:D

artbyjune
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Tyree, although small in size, they can be so engrossing to do. They can take as long as a larger painting!!

oldrockchick
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I have my theme. Currently researching, then composing and finally executing.....Do I post it here as and when I finish one?

Now I have the addresses, when do I need to post them out?

artbyjune
02-09-2013, 05:07 AM
Please post your ATC's here in this thread as you do them so we can admire them!!. Or you can wait and post them all up as a set.

Please mail them to your partners at the end of February if you have finished them by then.

If necessary, we will extend the project to the end of March...but if everyone has them done by the end of Feb.....then that will be the mailing date

oldrockchick
02-09-2013, 11:58 AM
okie dokie.......
will start in the week. Still composing and contemplating atm... :P
Plus I need to finish a painting from my own WDE 2 weeks ago....

tyree
02-10-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2013/65063-hansel_gretel_mini.jpg hansel and gretel a rackman copy....2.5.x3.5...mech pencil.....tyree:wave:

jacquip
02-10-2013, 06:07 PM
nice work tyree

tyree
02-11-2013, 06:13 AM
thank you!!! tyree:wave:

artbyjune
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
A very scary witch!! I love it.

WildGoose
02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
A very scary witch!! I love it.
Agree totally!
...( makes you wonder about those 2 kid's self-preservation instincts - or lack thereof )!

azulparsnip
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
tyree- wonderful work - I love all the texture and the figures are simple but so much character to them......

tyree
02-12-2013, 06:54 AM
thank you all for your kind remarks....arent these fun to make!!!! tyree:D

Marmsk
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
June, I love the characters on that amazing background and the unique style.
Tyree, Wow, it is scary but so well done and the mood is accurate for the theme.
I am enjoying the Hobbit theme....love them Hobbits.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2013/143438-hobbithole_copy.jpg

tyree
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Eileen...thank you....wouldnt you love to live in that hobbit house,,,love the round door....and all the neat nic nacs surrounding it....tyree:wave:

artbyjune
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Marmsk. That is a wonderful hobbit house. I loved reading the hobbit many years ago...

Marmsk
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I am a huge fan of J.R.R.Tolkien 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'. I have already made several for the trade but will probably do a few more.

jacquip
02-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice hobbit house Eileen, I'm a big Tolkein fan too, from way back.

oldrockchick
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
be careful with the Tolkein stuff.... it can be hobbit forming :P

Marmsk
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Good one Lin!!!
Trying to get to grips with Gollum...this large sketch needs to be downsized now!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2013/143438-Gollum1.jpg

artbyjune
02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
That is a wonderful gollum sketch!!

artbyjune
02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
3 tiddlers. I am not sure what my final set will be but I am enjoying experimenting.

1. fox and crane (Aesop)- pen and WC
2. Hare & tortise (Aesop)- markers
3. copy of a Kate Greenaway 'jumping girl'- markers

oldrockchick
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Is it right we only have 7 people in the group - so 6 cards to make?

I usually do all mine together on one board. I made 8 compositions, so 2 too many :P

I might actually do all 8 so nobody knows what they'll get .....

oldrockchick
02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
OK then....assuming there of 7 of us and I only have to do 6....

here are the roughs from my sketchbook.....

(As we are showing as we go)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2013/179312-AIW_ATC_1st_draft.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2013/179312-AIW_ATC_1st_draft_2.JPG

artbyjune
02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Lin, looks like 7 in all for this ATC exchange. So we make 6 cards. I love seeing 'roughs' or the before sketches! I love your 'Alice' interpretations..

oldrockchick
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
right I shall work on transferring and make a start....

Marmsk
02-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Those are going to be great!!!

azulparsnip
02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Eileen - wonderful Hobbitses house.....That Gollum is spot on.

azulparsnip
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Oldrocchick - I didn't see yours a minute ago. Nice composition and dimension. They are gonna be nice.

azulparsnip
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
everyone's style is shinning thru. What fun!!

oldrockchick
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
:cat: Had intended to get somewhere yesterday, having had them sketched and ready to go the night before. I traced the sketches to tracing paper so as not to mess up on the cardss. I fliped it over then drew over it with the relevant colour of Derwent Inktense pencil... got all but 3 done before the cat came in threw all asunder to sleep onn my lap as he couldn't get into the bedroom....After a while I gave up and went to bed...

So that brings us to Saturday... felt a bit ropey so got up late anyway, but still with the pland to finish the Inktense on the tracing paper for the last 2, then press them onto the cards and make start....Failed! I was Catted again!! :cat: This time he sat on me before I could even get anything out to make a start.... I waited until dinner with a plan for afterwards, but he sat on me from 8 until time he went out before bed..... so once again - got nowhere..

But today,... I outsmarted the little critter.....:lol: :cat: I tempted him into the bedroom with cat treats and while he was there, I got my stuff out everywhere, he came in, looked disgruntled and asked to be let out. :evil: So I made some progress.... when he came back in, he still couldn't sit on me so he sat on OH instead,,,,,... so I got on..:thumbsup:

I traced em down, used a small brush and water to go over anf fix the Inktense pencil lines.

Had some New FC watercolour pencils yesterday so decided to give those a go,,,used them on 2 but wasn't working the way I wanted...the effect I wanted would worek better on larger size works. I continued using a mix of inks & Inktense pencils.

My initial intention was to do like line & wash only with sepia ink... then I thought they'd look nicer with bronze ink which would work better on top.

So now all the ink washes have been done... so I have tomorrow earmarked for completion.....:cat: cat permitting :lol:

oldrockchick
02-17-2013, 10:08 PM
I love some of the ideas i'm seeing... The Hobbit ones, Greek Mythology all faves of mine and Tyree with traditonal panto fairy tales too... I vaguely remember Aesop from c hildhood, I have forgotten most of those so it is good to be reminded.

I shall look forward to seeing many more.

I chose Alice as I was inspired by an exhibition I went to in January last year at the Tate Liverpool about Alice In Wonderland and how the story affected art.. there were works there4 by Dali and so many oothers by some of my favourite artists. I also remeber th illustrations in childrens' books from the the 403 & 50s (before I ewas born).. thta was the look I was going for but modern stuff it is hard to get the effects of those old style prints.

Marmsk
02-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Oh my how we struggle with our demanding pets. My little dog likes to share my easy chair and rests her head on my laptop key board with interesting results////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////,

oldrockchick
02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Ta Da! I am happy to inform you that they are now complete. The cat and I found a way to seat-share..wasn't perfect but I managed to add the finishing touches with the ink and metallic bits!

Will scan and resize tomorrow.

oldrockchick
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
When I separated them to scan as individuals they were all blurry, but this is them all scanned together - completed and ready to go!!

They do look a lot better in real life. They have added metallic bronze, copper and gold inks which don't show so well when scanned or photographed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2013/179312-resize_all_-_set_Image6_edited-1.jpg

WildGoose
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Good one Lin!!!
Trying to get to grips with Gollum...this large sketch needs to be downsized now!

What a totally wicked Gollum!

WildGoose
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
3 tiddlers. I am not sure what my final set will be but I am enjoying experimenting.

1. fox and crane (Aesop)- pen and WC
2. Hare & tortise (Aesop)- markers
3. copy of a Kate Greenaway 'jumping girl'- markers

Whatever markers you are using, they are very subtle!
The Fox and the Crane is one Aesop I will always remember - lovely card, here

WildGoose
02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
When I separated them to scan as individuals they were all blurry, but this is them all scanned together - completed and ready to go!!

They do look a lot better in real life. They have added metallic bronze, copper and gold inks which don't show so well when scanned or photographed.

I know the problems with scanning metallics, too- I have taken to waiting to add any shiny colour or add -on until after...had tried to rectify the issue with PS...but didn't always work to my liking

Great touch with those colourful mushrooms with the rabbit-always thought he was just a little speedy...great portrait of him; think he'd be pleased!:D

WildGoose
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Have started doing mine, after having a fun time pulling together the antique or Public Domain source photos for the collages...have digitally coloured in about half of the original b/w and sepia characters...am thinking of placing them in a line-drawn or pen -and-ink background for contrast..

( Have also re-READ their stories...just to be sure my memory is OK ):heart:

I seem to be jumping all around in the land of FairyTale , as seeing a particular old image makes me think of a storybook character it might fit with a few changes
So far have Perrault, Andersen and the Brothers Grimm characters on board

...Hope to upload some later in the week:D

Marmsk
02-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Wow, Lin, done already! I am still sketching the dwarves and hobbits, and want to do a monster orc or goblin, and elves and wizards and warg........where do I stop?

tyree
02-20-2013, 07:08 AM
wow....these are coming along so great....!!!!! tyree

tyree
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Good one Lin!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2013/143438-Gollum1.jpg ...wow...this is fabulous....tyree

oldrockchick
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
that gollum is so precioussssssss

Marmsk
02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Gollum is very difficult and I CANNOT get him the way I want him downsized...I have done it twice...which is better?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/143438-Gollum1x.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/143438-Gollumatc.jpg
:(

Marmsk
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
I did a Goblin...gotta do a Goblin.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/143438-Goblinx.jpg

Marmsk
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/143438-Dwalinx.jpg
This is Dwalin.

artbyjune
02-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Fantastic work Eileen.

artbyjune
02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Lin, your Alice illustrations are so rich and colourful. Amazing!

artbyjune
02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
My experiments are with a set of Lettraset Tria marker pens. The colours in the selection I bought are quite delicate...I got a fashion illustration set...but I may add deeper/darker colours later. The good thing about Tria pens are that they are 3-in-1, with a chisel shape, a pointed brush shape, and then a very fine liner shape...all on one pen. Has any one else used these?

Marmsk
02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Oh, oh, sounds just too interesting to me. :D Hmmm, no must wait, have too many pens at the moment! :eek:

artbyjune
02-23-2013, 07:48 AM
A few more cards. I am jumping around poems and books. I wish I'd settled on one book or story, but there you go. I am at least happy to be trying out different techniques as I explore the Once upon a time theme.
1. fox and crane- pens
2. hey diddle diddle
3. lucy locket has lost her pocket
4. Mary had a little lamb
5. Polly put the kettle on

artbyjune
02-23-2013, 07:53 AM
And more.

1. Goldilocks and ted- pen and wc
2. Mary had a little (toy) lamb- collage and drawing
3. What big teeth you have, grandmamma- acrylics
4. 1,2,3,4, Mary at the cottage door -marker pens

Marmsk
02-23-2013, 09:15 AM
June, they are beautiful. Love the 'My what big teeth....'one. That is a nice style. and then the pen and WC ones, just beautiful work. Anyone will be lucky to receive any one of them.

Marmsk
02-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Which Gollum, which Gollum, I think the second one, no?

artbyjune
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Marmsk, bth Gollum's are good because each shows a different emotion by him. First is kind of shy and surprised. Second seems more 'knowing', perhaps ready to attack a hobbit to get his ring back. If I had to choose, I think I prefer the second version as it is more like your original, especially feet and hands. Also he stands out more against a white background. Does this help? I know I like to have feedback when I am trying to decide things.

tyree
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
june....these are so playful and wonderful....but,,,,my favorites are the first two.....the fox and the crane....and the kitty with the fiddle!!!! tyree:clap: :cat: :cat:

artbyjune
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
My fave is kitty with the fiddle! I really enjoyed doing her!!

Marmsk
02-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Thank you June for your input. BTW, as I used the photographers photos, I have written to him for permission and he has happily give me permission, so no copyright problems there. I told them they were for exchange, not sale. So that worked for me.

artbyjune
02-27-2013, 05:33 AM
OK...is everyone on track to post out their ATCs next week? Does anyone need more time?

Please let us know!

I am ready to send out my cards next week.

Marmsk
02-27-2013, 06:09 AM
I am ready, as I will be home from our holiday by then.

azulparsnip
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Lovely, lovely work June - I like the collage sheep idea

Here are 4 I did yesterdayhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/88676-baby.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/88676-red-queen.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/88676-dodo.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/88676-flamingo.gif

azulparsnip
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
I haven't looked in here for a while - WOWSER

Marmsk and old rockchic - those are beautiful works of art - really fine

WildGoose
03-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Fun cards, azulparsnip!:)

WildGoose
03-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Read these wonderful tales again, and decided to put quotes on the cards in lieu of backgrounds, as that seemed to me too busy using playing cards.

( re-reading meant that I had to make some adjustments to the subjects like the ballerina- she's a very young Isadora Duncan, actually- when I re-read the physical descriptions...added her flower and the blue ribbons -)

These scenes I've assembled from the tales will be printed out , cut up and re-assembled into collages pasted onto the actual playing cards this week-end ....
They are:

The Steadfast Tin Soldier
Thumbelina
The Tinderbox .... all by Andersen

Snow White
and The Donkey Prince from the Brothers Grimm and
Riquet with the Tuft from Perreault

WildGoose
03-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Here's Perreault's Riquet with the Tuft Tale, and one for me!
( Grimms and others' Brother and Sister )

artbyjune
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Wonderful whimsical Alice cards, Robin. Those illustrations capture the Alice story.

Wild goose, those are such lovely sophisticated cards. The Medieval dress suits the characters in the tales.

We have a superb diversity of styles in this project. It will be great to see the cards IRL.

Please send your cards out during March for the other players to receive!!

Looking forward to it!!!

oldrockchick
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
June you have been so busy! and Robin, those are lovely Alice ones... I started to forget thestory... When I was little I read 'Alice In Wonderland' but not Alice through the Looking Glass. Dee and Dum wasn't in the one I read so when I saw the Disney filmi got very confused lol.

The model for Alice, is my OHs neice. i did have some problems with faces working so small though. I'm trying to get them to scan right. The trouble is because my scanner is so high res, it actually sees more than the human eye does in a small ATC. Then it like stretches thema nd they come up HUGE. And the metallics dont' show well. i'm trying to get decent scans so they can be posted after I've sent them off.

As soon as i've got decent scans I shall post them... Next week will be fine...

....but who will get what.....? ;)

Marmsk
03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Lin, can you not change the resolution in your scanner setting? I scan stuff at a resolution of my choice and downsize for the net on a photo edit app. For the net I scan at 72.
Robin, I looooove those 'Alice' cards. Am looking forward to what the postman will bring next month.
Wildgoose, your cards are fascinating. I am getting quite excited by all this. Dreary days will be brightened by my mailbox contents, I can see already.
I am going to continue my Hobbit theme as I am 'Hobbit hooked' so many wonderful characters. Cannot wait for the next film's character photos to be posted.......My envelopes are all written out.

oldrockchick
03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
hah - I can change the settings but mine start at 200+ I'll investigate. Maybe try to choose the basic mode. I have it set to Professional, which allows me to alter things, such as the target size. if I put it onto basic I can't seem to alter the size.

artbyjune
03-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Hi guys. Some information to include on the backs of your cards:

1. Title of ATC
2. medium(s) used
3. date made (approx)
4. Your wetcanvas name
and some optional info such as
5. your real name
6. contact info

Byeeee

tyree
03-03-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/65063-bauer_mini.jpg this is an illustration by John Bauer....i could not find a story to it, but i think it to be "a mushroom princess being guarded by the forest creatures.....with marty feldman eyes.....mechanical pencil 2.5x3.5....:D tyree

oldrockchick
03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
gosh Tyree, Marty Feldman - theres a blast from the past!

I'm loving the mushroom princess.
I like putting mushies in my paintings.

tyree
03-03-2013, 02:07 PM
thank you so.....i loved him in Young Frankenstein....:lol: .....im running slower than you all but should have eveyones finished and sent out by end of march....hope this okay,,,im slow with my pencils......the ones ive seen here are so delightful and clever ....very impressive everyone.....tyree:thumbsup:

jacquip
03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
hey guys, sorry to do this, but I have to withdraw from this project. I am having health issues again, my computer died a few weeks ago (at the library right now) and I am not doing well. I have not and will not be able to complete the cards. Please do not send me any as I will not be able to reciprocate and would feel terrible if you did. At least I am saving you on international postage. You all do great work, good luck with the future. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Marmsk
03-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Oh Jacqui, so sorry you are having health problems we are going to miss you. Get well soon.

azulparsnip
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
oh, it is gonna be great to get these cards and keep them out where I can enjoy everyone's work!!!

Jacqui - if you will pm me you address I'd love to send you one nevertheless. Please?

azulparsnip
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Jacqui - I just checked and your address is still on the private message list so GOODIE, GOODIE, I'll send you one.

I don't know what to send to who so I'm gonna put names in a hat and draw for each that way.......so what you get will be the luck of the draw.

WildGoose
03-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Jacqui - I just checked and your address is still on the private message list so GOODIE, GOODIE, I'll send you one.

I don't know what to send to who so I'm gonna put names in a hat and draw for each that way.......so what you get will be the luck of the draw.

Sounds good to me, Azulparsnip -think I"ll do the same:thumbsup:
Aiming to mail off by week's end...looking forward to returns already!

tyree
03-06-2013, 06:09 AM
jacqui....i am so sorry you are not feeling well....however, im still sending you a little drawing:heart: tyree:wave:

artbyjune
03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear you are ill Jaqui. Like the others, I have already earmarked a card for you. I hope to send mine's out this weekend, if all goes well.

I love the new card Tyree. I agree, mushrooms are terrific in art cards...especially in fairy tales.

Looking forward to the exchanges.

artbyjune
03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I hope the ATCs you receive from us will cheer you up a bit Jacqui!!

Marmsk
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Well mine is already made and addressed, would be a shame not to send it!!! Think of them as get well cards to make you feel better Jacqui.

Marmsk
03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Mine ready to go....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Bofur.jpeg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Hobbit_hole.jpeg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Dwalinx.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Gollumatc.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Nori_.jpeg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/143438-Filix.jpg
On their way

oldrockchick
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Those look great Eileen.:thumbsup:

I can get mine packed ready to go, but won't be able to get into town until next Wednesday unless I can get my OH to take them to the Post Office for me beforehand.

i think mine will fall 'as they come' too... might just pile them up, pack them up. Then write the envelopes and just pick one off the pile and insert to envelop... that way, even I won't know who I am sending which to... so it will be a surprise for me too.:D

tyree
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
eileen.....those are absolutely fabulous!!!!! tyree:wave: :clap: :clap:

artbyjune
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
eileen.....those are absolutely fabulous!!!!! tyree:wave: :clap: :clap:

I totally agree!!

I sent my ATCs off this morning...so they should be arriving in the next few days (for UK and Europe) or later (for Oz and USA and Canada).
:crossfingers:

oldrockchick
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Thank you June......mine arrived today!!! You are an early bird sending them....really pleased.......Esp the fox & grapes - I must look up that story...

Mine are all ready to go...Dave will go to Post Office on Monday.

artbyjune
03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Glad the ATCs arrived safely! I sent 2 to everyone because I had plenty to go around.

oldrockchick
03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Glad the ATCs arrived safely! I sent 2 to everyone because I had plenty to go around.

That's great. I'm afraid i only made 1 each though. :o

I have them in my album I keep from projects and my collection is growing.

Mine will go out tomorrow (unless we get 2 foot of snow)

azulparsnip
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Eileen - those are really good

Sandybells
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I love everyones drawings and the whole concept of this exchange...
Sandybells

artbyjune
03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Eileen, I got my 'Hobbit house' this morning. Thanks so much. A treat that made my day!! I love your intricate pen and ink style.:thumbsup:

Marmsk
03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
By coincidence mine arrived this morning as well and I am so pleased! It does make your day to get these cards!!!

tyree
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
im running a wee behind everyone, hb and me have been sick.....but should be ready to send out by next weekend...hope this is okay....tyree

artbyjune
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
No problem Tyree. The project has until the end of March!

artbyjune
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I hope you get well soon!

azulparsnip
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
from Eileen - Gollum and from June - Mary had a little lamb and The Fox and the Crane came Saturday.
Both LOVELY.......I will be getting mine in the mail tuesday when we go to town.

Tyree, hope you and hubbie are moving toward the "pink"

oldrockchick
03-17-2013, 04:04 PM
From Eileen I have received Nori :D

Thank you he's great, esp the hair!

All mine were taken to the post office in the week so you should have them soon.... Even I can't remember who I sent what to.

Get well soon.

Marmsk
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Have to go away so may be absent awhile, so please bear with me for not commenting or acknowledging arrival of cards. Will do when I get back. Have to go to UK for husband's poorly mother of 98. Off in a few hours. Hope to be back soon.

artbyjune
03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Lin. I got your 'hookah-smoking caterpillar' this morning. Its beautiful. Thank you very much!!

oldrockchick
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Lin. I got your 'hookah-smoking caterpillar' this morning. Its beautiful. Thank you very much!!

Glad you like it....

tyree
03-19-2013, 06:58 AM
how exciting to get such wonderful mail ....i received the wonderful character Bofur from Eileen,,,,i loved him in the Hobbit....beautifully done......and from June i received these adorable puppies and cat ,,,beautifully coloured....and the cat with the fiddle and the silver moon,,,its a treasure.......this was a great idea.......i went to the doctor yesterday, found i had walking pnemonia...:( but,,,,,im determined to get mine out....!!!!!!!! thank you all, for the well wishes...tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I received Lin's and Chris's yesterday and today. The playing card quite different. Lin's tweedle dum and dee is strong and nicely detailed. I mailed mine Monday. This is wonderful having a little piece of everybody!

azulparsnip
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Tyree - yep, that is going around here too. I hope you get to feeling better. Rest, rest, rest. Don't worry about getting your cards out until you are well!

artbyjune
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Glad you got your cards OK, Tyree.

This morning I got an ATC- 'the steadfast tin soldier'- from Chris (wildgoose). I love the altered playing card style very much!!

Its exciting to get a piece of everyone's art!!

oldrockchick
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
It is nice when we get to know each other on forums and when we do these exchanges it reminds me of when I was a kid and had penfriends all over the world. It's lovely on a rubbish snowy day to get some cheerful post. It's nice to collect artwork froma ll over the world.

I got my card from wildgoose today - thank you for cheering me up on a dreadful snowy day.

I'm so disappointed. I was looking forward to today because I was going to a VIP press day for the opening of 3 exhibitions at Compton Verney (Like abig country estate home that is an art gallery in beautiful Capability Brown landscaped garden) One was centuries of Italian art with pieces by major players. WE usually get to meet the curators, have a guided tour of the exhibition and a delicious meal before looking at the installations/statues in the grounds... BUT it snowed! When it snows here they have no idea how to drive and it takes an hour to get down 2 streets so 30 miles (I could usually do in 30-40 mins) would probably take all day so we cried off. I'm gutted. We can still go to see it anytime but it's not the same as when it is FREE, meeting the curators and a delicious FREE hot lunch.

Marmsk
03-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Oh, Lin, how sad to miss that. I would be gutted as well. Mind you I am anyhow as our 'rush' back to the UK was unnecessary as my husbands mother who led us to believe she was on death's door, turned out to be just fine. Well it blew me away as we have lost the cost of a paid in advance trip with the U3A to Valencia, and a booking for the original trip for May on the ferry plus all the rest of the family have made their plans to go away for Easter....So here we sit, vowing never to take a ferry across the Bay of Biscay this time of year...or maybe never. We did not enjoy the F7-8 wind and 5 metre swell. yuk!

oldrockchick
03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
oh dear Eileen. That must have been a nightmare crossing. I remember us taking the Caen - Portsmouth ferry in October one year at the high tide in a wind and I think we were the only ones that weren't sea sick... It was everywhere... we went up on deck in the wind to get fresh air and even there people were sick over the side... How we kept our stomachs I dont' know! Mind you my son was filling himself up with ginger ale.

We have a few U3A groups round here. unfortunately they all meet mornings.

tyree
03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
hooray.....im mailing my cards after work today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tyree:wave:

artbyjune
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Thank you Robin(azulparsnip). I received your 'Alice- Duchess' ATC this morning. I love it!

WildGoose
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Glad to oblige, Oldrockchick:D

...can say the same for yours "Join us for tea" too-received today-and the first from the exchange:thumbsup:

oldrockchick
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Wow Wildgoose that join us for tea took a long time to arrive.

I received my card from Robin today 'Alice & The Dodo' thank you.....lovely.

WildGoose
03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
BONANZA DAY!:D
3 came -

The fine and ready-for-anything "Dwalin" from Marmsk
Gentle Beauty and her luminous Beast and a sad-looking Lucy Locket
from artbyjune
and
a patient Alice and scolding Red Queen from azulparsnip

My thanks to everyone...and so glad to have played as well!

Marmsk
03-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Hopefully heading home this weekend...depending on availability. There seems to be the usual mass exodus from the UK at Easter made worse by people trying to get a wee bit of sun somewhere as it has not appeared much here. I am looking forward to my post box bulging with my ATCs.

tyree
03-27-2013, 06:18 AM
i have received some wonderful art lately....from Robin an adorable alice and the red queen ...it is so cute and colourful....and from Chris ...one of those creative cards with my lady and her donkey who had special pleasure in music...love it.....and from Lin this colouful and oh so cute and late rabbit from Alice....it is sooooo well done........thank you all very much......im not sure when you will be getting mine, but they are all out!!!!! tyree:wave: :heart:

azulparsnip
03-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Susan - I recieved your Beauty and the Beast today. And that particular fairy tale has a soft spot in my heart. I am really tickled that you put it in the plastic like that cause I can use it as a book mark and enjoy it soooo much more. Thank you. Thank you. Also special to have something from you, been hangin' here together a long time.

tyree
04-02-2013, 06:34 AM
thank you Robin....im so glad you liked it....they told me at the post office it was going to take about 10 days for the overseas:eek: ......tyree:wave:

Marmsk
04-03-2013, 03:42 AM
My post box was a treasure chest full of goodies when I got home after 11 hours driving....
Tyree - 'My what big feet you have Mr. Wolf!' brilliant, thank you so much.
Azulparsnip- I thank you for the colourful pen and ink 'Alice'!
Lin- Your lovely 'Alice' painting leaves only to choose the right door...love it!!!
Wildgoose- Love your 'Wild' card, 'mirror, mirror'. Interesting creation.
All are such great additions to my collection of ATCs.
Keep an eye on the "Miniature Forum" as I am hoping to do another project soon. Cheers guys!

artbyjune
04-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi ATC-ers. I got a lovely 'Hansel & Gretel' ATC from Tyree yesterday morning!! Thanks so much.

Have all the exchanges been received yet?

Its been terrific to get all the artwork from colleagues on the classical forum. You have all made it a great exchange.

We hope to have another ATC exchange very soon!!

oldrockchick
05-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Do we post our works on here?
When people have said they've received them?

Not heard or received from Jacquip? Has anyone heard from her? She wasn't too good last time she posted?

She must have received it but now so I'll post them all.....

oldrockchick
05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Here are all mine:-

All of these have been done in ink with dip pen and inks.

'Smile' for Jacquip
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/179312-600dpi_WC_OUAT_Smile_728x1024.jpg

Join Us For Tea for Wildgoose
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/179312-600dpi_WC_OUATJoin_Us_For_Tea.jpg

'I'm Late' for Tyree

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/179312-600dpi_WC_OUAT_Im_Late.jpg

'Hookah Smoking Caterpillar' for artbyjune

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/179312-600dpi_WC_OUATHookah_Smokin_Caterpillar.jpg

'Alice & The Doors' for Marmsk

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/179312-600dpi_WC_OUAT_Alice__The_Doors.jpg

I have no idea how these have uploaded so huge!!!! I resized them to actual size.

finally

'Terrible Twins' for Azulparsnip

tyree
05-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Im not sure, everyone got mine....i have acknowledges frm June, Marmsk, and Robin.....I hope everyone did.....:crossfingers:

oldrockchick
05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
I'll check Tyree

artbyjune
05-18-2013, 09:23 AM
I haven't heard from Jacqui in a while. She was feeling unwell last time she posted, so perhaps she is still ill! I sent her an atc, but no word if she got it.