PDA

View Full Version : My first landscape paintings ( WIP )

mewbie
12-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Hello everyone.. :wave:

this is my third WIP thread in a day.. :D please bear with me.
Hopefully I can get constructive critiques on my painting development.
it's a 35 X 40 on canvas, still a rough blocking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2012/1120252-IMG_20121230_213845.jpg

and here's the photo reference,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2012/1120252-IMG_20121230_090153.jpg

My background is entirely self-taught, and art community is very rare in my area, so online community like in WC is very helpful to me. Also there may be a lot of technique / insight that overlooked by me, hence my background, so any comments will be very valuable addition to my art vocabulary.

Thank you and have a wonderful upcoming year! :clap:

cheers

Bevahlee
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I LOVE this piece. I love the work of Anselm Keiffer too, and David Balin and others who use this monochromatic heavy atmospheric approach.

mewbie
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
@Bevahlee
Thank you, I'll google them and make them my references. here's another update after a couple of days, still unfinished, I hope someone can pointed out where's they think the piece is off.. ( artist's eyes that is )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2013/1120252-IMG_20130122_235559.jpg

levanty
01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
The one that you called "a rough blocking" caused me to "wow" your interpretation. I loved it just the way it was. The second one (in my humble opinion) looks like you are trying to reproduce the original and not achieving the desired results. If this is, in fact, your goal...you need to measure precisely and placement is crucial (as you saw in my Pagoda painting). I used mathmatical formulas to recreate the proportions exactly. Even when working from a small photo, there is a way to "transfer" the exact sizes. This second painting (session) disappointed me because of the innacurate replication of the reference photo. Example: The sign is way too big. I personally prefer the intended distortion of the first one. You would do well in researching the artists mentioned above...I hope that you lean towards that style (for this one at least). Hope this helps! Regards, Yvie

mewbie
01-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Levanty, thank you very much for your detailed comments and suggestion,
I think it's open my eyes also about "communication" in art, because I never really had a formal education in art so it's really appreciated..

and yeah I think i catch what you mean by there, never do something "half-way" , either photo-realistic or impressionist , it's something to transfer the "wow" to the viewer.. I think I'm understand now if you do something "half-way" it will end up like a child drawing .. :-/

but strangely, mostly if I'm just scribbling around it achieved the desired result better.. hmm...

levanty
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Levanty, thank you very much for your detailed comments and suggestion,
I think it's open my eyes also about "communication" in art, because I never really had a formal education in art so it's really appreciated..

and yeah I think i catch what you mean by there, never do something "half-way" , either photo-realistic or impressionist , it's something to transfer the "wow" to the viewer.. I think I'm understand now if you do something "half-way" it will end up like a child drawing .. :-/

but strangely, mostly if I'm just scribbling around it achieved the desired result better.. hmm...

You are very welcome Mew. Like yourself, I never had any training either so my opinion is simply that; an opinion and nothing more. As for the mathmatical formula...this is my own method of transfering exactly from photo to canvas. I determine the exact point that I want to transfer and divide to obtain a percentage - then apply the percentage to the canvas. I can explain in more detail if you're interested for a future project. As for this one...please don't stop posting...you're really talented and need to pursue your gift.

rossmarie
01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Mewbie- I think your first landscape painting is a really good effort. The colours and light in it are very effective. I think you need to work on your perspective a bit. In comparison with the reference photo your railway lines are drawn at too steep an angle from the horizontal and the effect is to place your eye higher above the ground than in the photo.

I am not a fan of mathematically working out proportions and where things should be. It doesn't teach you to draw or observe well. Also , what is the point of every detail being exactly where it is in real life? After all, you will not be able to reproduce the colours , shadows, tones exactly as in the photo.
Suggest you think more about getting certain reference points about right and then the rest will fall into place. I think it better to dispense with rulers, scales percentages ....whatever and just observe and draw. The more you do that, the easier it will become. The difficult bit is painting!

Mike:thumbsup:

levanty
01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
I am not a fan of mathematically working out proportions and where things should be. It doesn't teach you to draw or observe well. Also , what is the point of every detail being exactly where it is in real life? After all, you will not be able to reproduce the colours , shadows, tones exactly as in the photo.
Suggest you think more about getting certain reference points about right and then the rest will fall into place. I think it better to dispense with rulers, scales percentages ....whatever and just observe and draw. The more you do that, the easier it will become. The difficult bit is painting!

Mike:thumbsup:

I can appreciate Mike's opinion with regard to math, rulers, etc. I realize that some of us are afraid to try to reproduce something as precisely as humanly possible. But to suggest that we "dispense" with suggested techniques given by another artist is condescending and offensive. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and shouldn't be contradicted here. I want you to know that it IS possible to replicate a photo with great accuracy and it DOES teach you technique. As a musician with 40 years of compositional experience I have "learned" by imitating the masters and following the score note by note. This exercise/practice ultimately hones your skill and facilitates the ability to express yourself more effectively. It IS possible to reproduce the colours, shadows and tones exactly...trust me I speak from experience. Observation comes from trying to imitate. Finally, I disagree that "painting is difficult" but then again, it's just my humble opinion. I mean no one any harm or offense when I give my comments and hope that no one offends me in return. Have fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2013/980793-final_comp.jpg

rossmarie
01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi Yvie - this obviously touched a nerve. I assure you it was not my intention to "rubbish" your use of mathematical proportions and certainly not to be offensive or condescending. I was merely giving my own ideas and opinions to Mewbie as you have also done. She is free to follow or disregard what either of us say. Good job we can beg to differ with one another - if we agreed all the time life would be boring! Best wishes & I agree...have fun!

Mike

levanty
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi Yvie - this obviously touched a nerve. I assure you it was not my intention to "rubbish" your use of mathematical proportions and certainly not to be offensive or condescending. I was merely giving my own ideas and opinions to Mewbie as you have also done. She is free to follow or disregard what either of us say. Good job we can beg to differ with one another - if we agreed all the time life would be boring! Best wishes & I agree...have fun!

Mike

Thank you for your note. Perhaps my nerves are little bit raw lately...(just lost a loved one). I agree to disagree with you Mike and know that your opinion is as important as mine and would simply encourage you to express them without stepping over anyone elses opinion! :wink2: Happy painting!

mewbie
01-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Dear rossmarie and levanty,

Thank you for your share,
that's why I like to being in an online community, to listen and share what yours and the other people's thought, regardless of what technique / style you'll be using then. Because mainly I paint firstly just to please myself, and then it's just interested/nervous/scary to hear what other people's opinion.. but in the end it's really a learner, so I always be grateful.

I ever been in the job where art is labored ( 3D animation industry that is ), The approved works had to gone many revisions and I couldn't cope it so I quit. Now I just do art for fun and can't be happier, still the previous experience in the job applies, I become more perfectionist and "revised" my works more.. so take what good for you and make the advantage from it :thumbsup: in my opinion ) :D. Happy painting too...

tamarqu
02-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I love the rough blocking in painting. This is great. A few added highlights and darks plus sorting out the rail tracks and this would be awesome.