PDA

View Full Version : All is Quiet

Flycatcher10
12-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Oil Pastel
14 x 11: gessoed hardboard

Underpainting completed with soft pastels and washed with alcohol.

A photograph taken by Donna Klarenbach of pmp sparked my inspiration to do this painting. I changed the scene up quite a bit in the final composition for my painting, none-the-less I still wanted to give Donna credit for the original image.

The scene reminded me of many snowmobile trails located throughout the northeast, particularly just after a snow fall.

Hope you enjoy, please feel free to comment. Thanks, Mary

Happy New Years everyone!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2012/974094-All_is_Quiet_final.jpg

Yannse
12-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes,I could feel the wind blow the trees.Nice painting! Thanks for your share!

mirizar
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Beauuutiful! Your art keeps getting better and better!

stee71
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Looks like trees covered in thick hoar frost...brrrrrr we have that to come, winter comes late here these days . We get most of our snow and really cold weather Jan - Feb now.

Flycatcher10
12-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Jiemin: Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. It's very cold in the Northeast of the US now - this scene reminds me of one of those cold and wintry.

Hi Michelle: Thank you so much for your wonderful comment - that means a lot.

Hi Steve: Thanks! Yeah, the cold can be so unforgiving - we are experiencing some of it this year here in TX. Can't say I miss it.

CarlyHardy
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Beautiful sky! the trees look frosty and the snow is cold. Great winter painting!

Frostie
12-31-2012, 04:09 AM
Mary,
It's wonderful. Looks really peaceful and very COLD. Trees are great.
Happy New Year to you too.
Helen

Flycatcher10
12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi Carly: Thanks so much for your comments, especially about the sky. The oil pastels adds a little something special to sky painting, many beautiful aspects were coming out as I painted.

Hi Helen: Thank you, your response was exactly what I was hoping to read. Glad you liked it.

Pat Isaac
01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Lovely, Mary and those trees are just right. They often loook like that on a very cold morning in the sun.

Pat

azmn
01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I usually paint in oil - some acrylic and watercolor but am interested in trying out
oil pastel. Wow - this painting is just beautiful and an inspiration to really give OP a good try. Very nice !!

Flycatcher10
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Pat: Happy New Year! Thank you so much for the feedback on the trees. I have so many pictures and memories of the cold mornings after a hard winter freeze that the reference image brought back to many wonderful memories of those times.

Hi JoAnn: So nice to meet you, welcome to OP forum. I hope you give these a try they are wonderful to paint with. Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it. This forum has some great information under the "Talk" portion of Oil Pastels forum that you'll find really helpful. Thanks again!

SammyH
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Mary, this is a very attractive winter landscape. The sky is pretty and reflects well on the snow. The trees looks so crisp and frozen. Someday, I'll have to try your technique of underpainting with soft pastels and alcohol.

Flycatcher10
01-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Sammy: It's so nice to hear from you, I hope you're well.

Thanks for your wonderful comments, I always appreciate your feedback. Love your observations on the sky and snow - that was my favorite part to paint on this piece.

I really like using soft pastels and alcohol as an underpainting, although I'm considering trying gouache or thinned oil paint for a different effect using a rag and paint brush. I really think I need more practice painting with a paint brush, which is what I use to apply the alcohol but I'm still not getting exactly the kind of look I'm after.

Love using my rolling sponge for applying clear gesso - perfect coverage and look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for commenting. Happy New Year! Mary