PDA

View Full Version : Etching Paper?

msue
09-04-2003, 11:29 PM
I've never done any type of printing but lino, but am vaguely familar with the concept of some other types of printing, but I don't know what etching paper is. A friend enrolled in a printmaking class was looking for "etching paper" today from a list the teacher has supplied. She had been to three places including an Art Supply store (not a arts and crafts store) the Art store people didn't know what she was looking for either. I could only guess (I work for a Arts and Crafts Store) what the paper was for and suggested she get clarification from the instructor. So anybody know what is the instructor is asking for?

sassybird
09-05-2003, 12:21 AM
msue, I personally love Somerset for etchings, but also use Stonehenge Rising and Rives BFK heavyweight. They are all excellent etching papers. I have been using Somerset for years, and it is my stock paper. It has a velvety feel to it. When you soak it before you print it sucks up the ink so beautifully. I am getting ready to start a new series for the show in Oct. Be sure to let your paper drip to so that most of the water is out of it, then put it between a pillow case and take a rolling pin to take out more of the water, so that you are left with a damp paper. I can't wait until you post some of your work:D

timelady
09-05-2003, 03:37 PM
It's the same as watercolour paper, basically. I've used Bockingford, Saunders, Arches (Aquarelle), Somerset, etc.... Any watercolour paper should do. :)

Tina.

kjsspot
09-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Hi Tina, actually my Prof said NO watercolor paper.

Perhaps when you are out looking you should ask for printing paper instead of etching paper. Here are the brands that she gives as recommendations.

Rives BFK
Arches Cover
Arches 88 (waterleaf, which means no sizing to be soaked out)
Rising Stonehenge
German etching paper
Domestic etching paper (I think this is just partial rag)
Copperplate (waterleaf)
Fabriano Murillo
Fabriano Rosapina Heavyweight
Fabriano Tiepolo 250 gm/m2
Lenox
Somerset
Twinrocker handmade printmaking papers

Then recommended getting some Japanese papers for Chine Colle <sp?>

Danielsmith is a good printmaking supply place. DickBlick has some papers and low but fast shipping. Twinrocker is a website that's all paper, I think. Good luck!

Diane Cutter
09-18-2003, 01:09 PM
I agree with kjsspot on the papers. If you get ahold of a Daniel Smith Catalog (or any artists' paper catalog) they should have a listing of what each of their papers is best at: etching, relief, embossing, drawing, watermedia, etc.

I know that Daniel Smith sells small sample packets of their papers. It's well worth the cost (minimal) because then you can play with them to see which works best.

I do a lot of linocut embossings and reduction relief and have researched my papers using those samples. (They have become little 4x4 works of art with all my testing.)

I have also kept a portion of any papers I buy and keep notes on them as to how I've used them. Sometimes years will go by and I will discover that I like something that I had done. The notes help eliminating "rediscovering the wheel."

msue
09-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Thank you all for responding to this question. I have forwarded most of the answers to my friend and her daughter and hope that they found it useful. I've also been well informed.

I especially like Diane's tip. I should start doing that with my lino-prints.

I find that instructors often make lists for students using terminology I'm sure is perfectly clear in their minds but doesn't click with the new students and when you catch someone like me in the store off guard or on an especially busy day we don't have presence of mind to realize what the instuctor meant. I was glad to learn I wasn't the only person who didn't understand the request since may place of employment was their third stop in the search. :p