PDA

View Full Version : How Do I?

edith
09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone, its been a long time since i visited this forum, nice to be back.
I would like to paint a Tiger in acrylics but have no idea where to start. Is there any How to's anywhere as in step by step's?
Many thanks in advance for any and all help.
take care and see you soon.

CarlyHardy
09-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Do you mean how to get started with acrylics?

If so, check out the thread at the top of the forum. It has some great tips and info.

Do you mean how to get started with a tiger painting?
Can't help with that...I stick with tamer subjects!

carly

ginatec
09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Edith

There is lots of how to information on this Forum to read.
Next thing you need is a reference photo...unless you are going to the zoo to paint:)

You will find a tupperware box handy as a palette. Mine is round with an airtight lid. I put 5 layers of newspaper, cut to size and soaked in the bottom. On top of that I place a piece of baking parchment. I squeeze out the paints on to the parchement and give a light mist of water from spray bottle. By putting the top on the container when not actively painting the paint will stay workable.

make sure to keep rinsing your brushes in water or they will go rock hard in a short space of time.

Then just get stuck in and paint. Hope we get to see your finished work.

gina

edith
09-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi there and tahnks for the replies. i have my tiger all drawn out on acrylic paper but since i haven't done one before in acrylics i was looking for a step by step process. do i underpaint? if so in what colour? how may layers do i do? how do i get the fur right?
these are the things i was looking for really.
i was wondring if there is a step by step somewhere i could follow.
thanks for the replies. take care and see you soon.

ginatec
09-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi Edith

You will find some excellent information in the article by Leslie Pz,m it should cover all the questions you mentioned.
This is the link:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/16754/295/

Gina

Einion
09-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Edith, there are many ways to approach the same basic subject depending on how you want to paint, the thickness of the paint you want to use and other factors. You sound like you'd benefit from a good how-to book, your local library should have at least one or two.

Two basic methods you could use here, a layered approach and blocking. Ignoring the background, in the layered approach you might start by laying in the darks - the stripes, an indication of the modelling (shadows) and so forth in a dark brown (Burnt Umber for example). When this is dry you then work over this in oranges and yellows, not being too careful about working 'between the lines' since these colours tend to be fairly transparent so they won't cover the dark stripes if you overlap them slightly. When you're done and it's dry you can then re-establish the dark lines. In the blocking approach you paint almost like paint-by-numbers - paint each colour only where it's supposed to go and build the image up as you like, working one colour at a time pretty much.

There's a good wildlife-painting book I saw in my local library recently, Painting Wildlife Textures Step by Step by Rod Lawrence, it has a number of step-by-steps and a lot of it was for acrylics. Well worth a look if you're interested in wildlife painting in particular but it's not a bad introduction to general painting methods either.

Einion