PDA

View Full Version : Just Taking it Easy

davefriend
12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
It's been a long time since I posted in this Forum. I've been busy doing my abstract art mostly but now have this painting I would like to share with you.

This one is a 12"x16" oil painting on canvas panel called "Taking it slow". With all the bad winter weather lately I was trying to think of those lazy summer days when you can slow down and just be "Taking it Slow". While working on this my wife came into the studio and eyed this one with the suggestion it would make a nice gift for a coworker of hers and so I quickly finished it up yesterday and it gets boxed up tonight, wet paint and all.

I am done with this one but I like the format and will probably do some more similar paintings. I would be interested in your comments and criticisms, both for good or bad. My goal and aim was some degree of real in the painting but in a painterly way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2012/538491-taking_it_slow_600x800.jpg

Here is a detail of the boat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2012/538491-taking_it_slow_boat_detail_800x800.jpg

arnieb
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Dave - good to see you back posting.
Done a great job on this one - got a lovely slow carm feeling. Arnie

davefriend
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi Dave - good to see you back posting.
Done a great job on this one - got a lovely slow carm feeling. ArnieThanks very much Arnie, nice to be back! I am glad that this conveys calm to you, that was one of the things I was hoping for.

crafor
12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I like it too, though the blue is a little "harsh" for me. I like the idea of it and the composition.
That blue seems ominous and cold to me, possibly due to the green. I think some purples and violets esp in the foreground would warm it up a bit. I don't know about reflections. Would the reflection of the mast really be that long and unbroken? The dinghy really caught my eye. Maybe give the bow a bit of a lost edge, and darken the rest a little?
The blue and white shoreline really contributes to the cold feeling I get from it. Perhaps glaze it with the color used for the mast.
Hope this helps.
Ella

Trumper
12-29-2012, 07:04 AM
A bit late ,if the person who received this likes it then that's the main thing :) .My main worry was the length and the strength of the reflection of the sail in the water.

rossmarie
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I like this but think it could have been composed and painted rather differently to make it more effective:

1. Agree with Ella about the colour: too much harsh blue & green which gives
the painting a rather unnatural feel.

2. In my opinion (for what it is worth!) there is too much empty sea which
makes the boat look even smaller than it is. I think the composition would
have looked better with one third chopped off the left-hand side of the
painting and one third chopped off the bottom.

Mike

davefriend
12-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Here is the reference photo that was used as the basis for the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2012/538491-taking_it_slow_orig_photo.jpg

I like it too, though the blue is a little "harsh" for me. I like the idea of it and the composition.
That blue seems ominous and cold to me, possibly due to the green. I think some purples and violets esp in the foreground would warm it up a bit. I don't know about reflections. Would the reflection of the mast really be that long and unbroken? The dinghy really caught my eye. Maybe give the bow a bit of a lost edge, and darken the rest a little?
The blue and white shoreline really contributes to the cold feeling I get from it. Perhaps glaze it with the color used for the mast.
Hope this helps.
Ella I can appreciate your critique of the color choice being 'harsh'. You can see the photo (above) I used as a guide was soft and lifeless and I set to give more definition without loosing all the peacefulness of it. I could have softened many areas of the painting but for this version it is what it is. On the next, who knows and that is why I am considering your comments and suggestions as food for thought. I like the idea of purples or violets in the deep shadows. I agree the dingy bow is stronger than it should be. You seem bothered by the cool tones which didn't bother me but I may try a warm tone version later to see how that goes? Thanks for your thoughtful comments Ella.

A bit late ,if the person who received this likes it then that's the main thing :) .My main worry was the length and the strength of the reflection of the sail in the water. It was delivered in a Christmas wrapped box that suspended it in the box by 2 dry edges while the wet sails and reflection areas dried undisturbed over the 4 or 5 days till Christmas. The story my wife brought home was that the co-worker and her husband loved it, including the palette it was painted in. Thanks Trumpeter.

I like this but think it could have been composed and painted rather differently to make it more effective:

1. Agree with Ella about the colour: too much harsh blue & green which gives
the painting a rather unnatural feel.

2. In my opinion (for what it is worth!) there is too much empty sea which
makes the boat look even smaller than it is. I think the composition would
have looked better with one third chopped off the left-hand side of the
painting and one third chopped off the bottom.

MikeThanks Mike. Here it is with 1/3 cropped off left and 1/3 cropped off bottom.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2012/538491-taking_it_slow_cropped_down_600x800.jpg

snoball
12-30-2012, 06:19 AM
About half that much crop might work, that much throws the composition.
I really like the feeling of calmness conveyed by the painting. Although the reflection of the sail really is long in the reference, I think that artistic license might have allowed less reflection for the sake of the painting. Over all though, the painting is very nice and I would hang it on my wall. :)

crafor
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I really like the composition. My own preference, again, is a bit warmer. I love the feeling of "peace", quiet, but the coldness takes away, and the warmer colors would, in my opinion, contribute greatly.
HA! Look at me, discussing the merits/quality of a painting, lol! This last year has changed me, for better I hope!
Re the reference, your mast reflection should have been broken a bit more, and not as straight.
Good job, all in all.
Ella

Andrewcody
01-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Agree with other crits above, the strength of that reflection really was unusual
Regards
Andrew

painterlight
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I think what's happening is that the reflection is too linear. Meaning that in the photo its broken up. Right now it looks too patterned and artificial. The reflection goes straight down to the bottom of the painting, bringing your eye down ... instead of letting it linger on the boat. -- Go back to the picture and observe which reflections are there and which aren't.

Cool painting. I like the attention on the boat a lot.