PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Hopkins

Mikey
12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Acrylic on 20 x 20 inch canvas.

Kevin supplied the original photo in the Portrait Forum. I can post it here when I get the files back on my new hard drive.

I've felt unable to paint recently, but got determined to finish this one. I had to push myself.

I am happy to have done my present time best, but feel it lacks that certain quality. You tell me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2012/28043-Anthony_Hopkins.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2012/28043-Anthony_CU.jpg

Spyderbabe
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Good to see you Mikey! Anthony's lower left jaw has a cut and paste quality -too edgy. Is his neck that thin? One ear lobe lower than the other... small fixes. I think the missing quality is emotional... I dont get any connection to the subject even though you are masterful with the eyes.

Mikey
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the comments Kathleen. Getting that connection seems to be a major requirement for me. I think he seems to be staring and waiting for a response, but judging these things is not my best point. But how did I manage to get the mouth so wrong.

BTW I've used Phils method for this thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2012/28043-Anthony_800.jpg

eyecandy2
12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I think that you have done a very nice job. Just a few things. You should sofen the edges of his right jaw. The center hair line should be a little more distinct. You need to show some of the gray highlights of his whitend hair. You might also soften the upper lip line. Since this is a portrait of a man, you might show a little more of the crows feet around the eyes. I know that it isn't easy to do, but it would be effective if you could somehow show the stubble on his face. Off hand, I couldn't tell you how to do it. You would have to play with it. Over all, I like what you have done. Yoou have capturee the likeness.

Mikey
12-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Many thanks for the comments Phil. Yes, I could have done a bit more work on it. I was in London the other day to get my visa. So, I went into the National Portrait Gallery. It was an inspiration, but I'll be in China for a month, so won't get much painting done for at least a month.

Joe'sHottie
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
IMHO - When comparing the photo to your painting, it appears that the viewer's right side of his head is a bit too wide. I think if you bring that side in, bring the gray hair in as Phil suggested, extend the crows feet it would help balance the face and lend to more emotion. They eyes seem a wee bit smaller as well. I love this, and you have done a fabulous and amazing job on this (Anthony's eyes always seem to be smiling, even when the rest of his face isn't! )

Mikey
01-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Thanks for commenting Angie. My draughtsmanship seems to have taken a day off and I found the photo difficult as there is little in the way of definte form. I like to begin by establishing values then work towards detail. Never mind this one can't go anywhere as it is a copy, so I'll be happy to use the canvas again.

Coen1
01-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Nice painting, although the resemblance isn't strong enough to me. Maybe you were a little bit to polite by making him younger? The rest is said.
Again, strong colorizing.

Mikey
01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice painting, although the resemblance isn't strong enough to me. Maybe you were a little bit to polite by making him younger? The rest is said.
Again, strong colorizing.

Thanks for looking. I have accepted all the comments, so maybe I'll move on again when I get back to the UK.

La_
01-25-2013, 04:40 AM
dunno, mikey
i sighed with relief when i looked
you got your groove back
bravo

la

Mikey
01-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks La. With all the faults I felt I'd won though in some way. I had to begin and slowly work one step at a time.

reverseengineering
02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
They eyes are great. Your work actually makes him look younger! I bet he'd appreciate that! lol.

Mikey
02-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks Glen. I might have left this one for later, but now I've painted white over it for something else. After all there was nothing much to do with it. It could only ever be an exercise.